1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sometimes, carefull isn't enough (a sad story)

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by rusmannx, Jul 9, 2005.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

BACKGROUND:
    my older sister married into a family of cattle ranchers. her and her husband live on the ranch and manage about 1200 head of cattle. thursday there had gone to town (about 30 miles away).
    my little sister, and my brother in law's little brother have been out there for the summer helping (19 years old, and 22 years old respectivly).
    there are also two kids from town that drive out everyday to work on the ranch (one is 14, and one is 16).
    after cutting the hay, my sister drives back to the house with the swather, and the 3 boys are following on a tractor pulling the hay wagon (which is full).
    INCIDENT:
    they tore a tire on the hay wagon, jacket it up with a bottle jack, and blocked the axle. the jack began to sink in the dirt, so they got a floor jack in there, lifted it more, and blocked the axle. they got the tire off, but before they could get the new one on, the jacks had sunk. they got more blocks, another bottle jack, and began alternating jacking and blocking to get the axle back in the air. after some work, they had it lifted, but my brother in law's little brother had to be under the wagon working on the bottle jacks. he had finally gotten tired, climbed out, and the 14 year old volunteered to go under. after he had been under for a bout 10 seconds the other two kids here him say "oh oh oh" and the wagon slipped off of the blocks and the axle fell right on the kids head.
    what i can only imagine as an eternity, they got the wagon off of him, got the ambulance out there, and the kid to the hospital, where the pronounced him dead.

my little sister is finally starting to snap out of it, and my little brother in law has finally gotten out of bed. of course it wasn't his fault, but you couldn't tell him that. 30 more seconds and it would have been him.

i didn't get to see how the wagon was blocked up, but we're talking about kids who know how to work the equipment. i guess if 3 jacks and several blocks can't keep the hay wagon in the air, then i guess your only safe if you NEVER get under it.

the boys name was landen.

2. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    That's awful. 14 yrs. old is entirely to short of a life. Especially for a boy brave enough to crawl under heavy farm equipment while knowing the risks.

3. crushers

crushers post ho

sad indeed
    when i was still in school (farming comunity) the question was asked, "which profession was the most dangerous?" the correct answer was farming...

accidents happen and hind sight is 20/20. most farm kids are plenty smart. no ones to blame, it could have just as easily been a group of adults...

my condolances.
    Wayne

4. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Man thats sad ..

5. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

That's horrible. I'm truly sorry to here of this tragic accident. God bless all who knew and loved Landen. Having lived & worked on a 9000 acre farm I know first hand that things can go bad real quick when working around large equipment.

6. firetruck41

firetruck41

Sorry to hear that. I'll say a prayer for his family and yours.

7. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Someone's gotta say this and I guess tonight it's going to be me. Losing a child's gotta be a parent's worst nightmare and I have two children so I feel their pain acutely.

However, the title of this thread "Sometimes careful isn't enough" really doesn't address this, which was a perfect example of being completely unsafe. Multiple repeats of a jacked vehicle overwhelming the surface it's being jacked on, followed by a young child going under it is not careful in any sense of the word. My father and us brothers were constantly doing things around the house and property that could get us killed. However, I can recall many instances where we were using large force to move something when my father would say "OK, this isn't worth the risk" and we'd stop and regroup.

It's a terrible, terrible tragedy but this was not an example of someone being safe and then getting hurt via a fluke or unseen circumstance. There was ample opportunity and a clear signal to see that this wasn't working out. I'm very sorry your family is going through this and they are in my prayers tonight. Life's too short.

DougM

8. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    That really sucks. I would seriously consider immediate counseling for the other kids, this could really effect them down the road.

9. 3pits

3pits

Wow, that is very sad, that story makes me swell up, I have no kids to truly understand, but offer my sympathy to the family. I too work on a farm, and can see how this can happen.

10. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Terrible trajedy. This kind of thing happens all too often on Australian farms as well.
    Under our laws the farm and all work related on the farm constitutes a workplace so even when a farmers child is killed they are prosecuted with manslaughter under the occ health and safety act.

Does that kind of scenario happen on US farms? I realise in this instance the boy was an employee, not a family member.

11. Jman

Jman

Wow, sorry to hear about that, that's really sad. Did I read correctly, the 14 year old that died was from town? Crappy thing to say, but I hope there is no liability suit coming, and I hope your sister's family has insurance to cover such a thing.

Anyway, it's always a tragedy when a good person dies so young, especially when he or she is on the job. Farm life is tough, and farmers are usually very, very good people because of it.

My condolences to your sister and her family and to the family of the boy.

12. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

13. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

Doug,

You know what is funny? Right about the time I hear that little voice inside my head saying that is about the time I hurt myself if I don't back off!

So sorry to hear about Landren...

14. Gold Finger

Gold Finger

I am so very, very sorry to hear that gut wrenching and dreadful story, it is simply awful. I live in a farming community and can just imagine the scene. I think that children and heavy machinery do not go well together, farms are always an accident waiting to happen; unfortunately all the regulations in the world do not seem to stop this sort of thing happening. Here regulations are strict concerning children and work but you see them every day in the summer without a thought in the world for their safety.
    There is nothing I can think of to say that would ease the pain of it; I do though have you in my thoughts.

15. rusmannx

rusmannx

landen's funeral was today. thank you everyone for your prayers.
    landen's family is strong in their religion, and accept their loss. no one is blaming anyone else. everyone is doing fine.

as far as the incident, i found out that the blocks and jacks didn't slip. the tire on the opposite side of the axle was sheared off. i guess the spindle failed, and allowed the wagon full of hay to lurch to one side. the new tire hadn't been installed yet, so the full weight of the wagon was on the axle.

again, thank you everyone.

16. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

Sad. So sad. :confused: Kind regards and best wishes to those associated with this tragic set of circumstances.

Thanks for sharing. Review of accidents can often raise awareness and reduce the liklihood of reccurrence.

for ~20 years I have been a safety geek. Based on this experience I currently believe that recognizing and accomodating hazards is what reducing (not eliminating) exposure to hazards boils down to. (I say this in broad terms and am not equipped or intending to comment on the specifics of the hay wagon accident) Share (with kids, co-workers,etc.) the content of Landen's afternoon if you get the opportunity.

I believe commercial fishing and logging to be among the most hazardous occupations. Agriculture is right in there as well (and obviosly depending on geography could be your communities most haz. job). Common denominators are the environment, machinery & proximity to emergency medical care.

Sad. So sad. :confused:
    Respectfully,
    Rob "stayalert" M

17. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

That seems so strange to me. Do you know what the odds of that happening are, or seem to be? Things happen for a reason, even what we deem as bad things. God bless them all.

18. Sporin

Sporin Site Addict SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Given the age of so much farm equipment, it's probably not as againts-the-odds as any of us would like.

I great up around farm machinery as well... horrible accidents happen, even when you are trying your best. I've seeen some seriously old and rusty wagons put into use at haying time that should NEVER have anything on top of them or under them. Scary.

It's a sad, sad loss. My condolances.

19. Sporin

Sporin Site Addict SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I should add that I have NO idea if this was the case in this horrible incedent, just sharing my experience.

20. crushers

crushers post ho

how many 3 legged farm dogs do you see running around? how many farmers with their arms chewed off trying to free a grain auger or a pluged baler? my brother almost lost his life when a bale elevator fell on top of him and he got caught in the failed piece of support pipe...
    crap happens.
    all the safty in the world will NOT prevent all accidents from happening...
    still saddened by the story.