Builds Something followed me home (I bought another LJ78) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool! Did you use original connection points or did you have to add a few? Ball park a figure on the cost. I might be interested.
I used the stock connection points drilled out slightly to fit m6 rivnuts.

I’ll put something together, unfinished. That way you can stain/paint/clear however you want it.

Looking through your build thread as I'm planning to go with manual hubs now too.... Got most of the parts, but have to order a few things more. Anyhow, reading through here got me to wondering how your truck is doing? Any updates?

Hey! Thanks for the inquiry. Trucks still running. Not much new, still having the starting issue (rough and blows smoke like made unless I over ride the glow plugs with my manual switch) but the truck just runs.

I had the wiper linkage come apart on me the other day. I took it all out, was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get out. Ended up just being a bad weld, so I welded it back up and she’s good to go again.

Took my boy on a adventure to grand forks over the holidays, got to play with the locker a bit. It’s so nice having that back in... feels like it would take a lot to get that thing stuck now... here’s a few pix of the trip.

DA9F8E7A-29DF-4D0D-A546-C662C7E1C81E.jpeg
55697FBD-0A03-41DD-AD85-435756F86BE2.jpeg
E924B196-92AB-47AF-A8A2-6C39A76C0D2B.jpeg
6A96678C-08C9-4F89-9BAD-97D4332034F7.jpeg

Nick, let me know if you have any questions about your hub swap. Your a pretty smart guy so I’m sure you will have no problem with it. But if I can help... I owe ya!

DE15E1FD-9CC1-44C4-9A19-A49347A1CD87.jpeg

Also, still have lots of stuff I’d like to do / need to do. My next project is the winch. I have the factory winch sitting on my bench... but to be honest I’m really thinking about just selling it and going with a aftermarket one. These Toyota winches seem like gold to some, and I’d be happy with a new winch.

After that will be exhaust and then I think I should finally really work on my IC set up...

I had the wiper linkage come apart on me the other day. I took it all out, was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get out. Ended up just being a bad weld, so I welded it back up and she’s good to go again.

Hi Postoy, I'm having some issues with my wipers, too. It works, it's just sluggish. I think the motor's okay, but I think the linkage needs some lubrication. You say it's easy to get to, but I haven't figured it out. How do I get in there?

Thanks

Hi Postoy, I'm having some issues with my wipers, too. It works, it's just sluggish. I think the motor's okay, but I think the linkage needs some lubrication. You say it's easy to get to, but I haven't figured it out. How do I get in there?

Thanks

Take off the 12mm nut that is on each of the arms, pop the arms off ( I find if you unbolt then lay the wipers down on the windshield then push down on the arm about half way up the arm will release them so you don't have to pry )

Lift the hood, there is about 6 Philips screws that hold the cowl. Carefully tip the cowl up and pull towards the front of the truck and lift out of the way.

Now you will see 3-10mm bolts at each pivot point for the wiper arms. Undo those and the pivots will drop down, there is 2 plastic cover/screens that you will need to remove as well. There are just pressure fit.

Unbolt the wiper motor, there is 4-10mm bolts. The motor will come out slightly from the firewall, enough that you can get a slotted screwdriver in and pop the linkage off the motor. ( its like a ball joint stlye bushing )

Now you will be able to slide the whole linkage towards the passenger side and pull it out through the large opening that had the plastic cover.

Let me know if you need pictures. I have some spare bits that might help you understand how the motor attaches to the linkage.

Also, still have lots of stuff I’d like to do / need to do. My next project is the winch. I have the factory winch sitting on my bench... but to be honest I’m really thinking about just selling it and going with a aftermarket one. These Toyota winches seem like gold to some, and I’d be happy with a new winch.

After that will be exhaust and then I think I should finally really work on my IC set up...

Great pictures and update! I grew up in the Midway/Greenwood area, so I recognize the areas where all your pictures were taken. Done that drive many times myself. Beautiful country out there. Glad your LJ is running well for the most part.

Thanks for the offer of help for my manual 'hubgrade'. Local guy in our club offered me parts from a 76 FJ40 cruiser (for a couple cases of beer) which are not quite right due to the longer birfields (longer Warn freewheel assembly). I can still use the spindles/hubs/bearings/disks AFAIK though. So I may just buy a set of new Aisins, a front axle seal kit and get to work. Other difference on this year of FJ40 is the rotors bolt on instead of press on via wheel studs. Makes it easier to work on in a way though; I'm not sure there is a real drawback except they are a bit harder to source new.

Let me know if you need pictures. I have some spare bits that might help you understand how the motor attaches to the linkage.

Thanks Postoy. I'll get in there this weekend with some lithium grease. As long as I can access all of the pivot points, I shouldn't need to remove anything.

I find the wipers on these things are pretty lethargic; especially at idle if the voltage dips from lots of accessories on (like in winter with headlights, fan, wipers etc. all on at once). Upgrading my alternator from 55A to 70A helped a ton as my voltage no longer dips at idle. So if you find your wipers are slow, take a look at your voltage gauge and see if that is part of the problem. I'm very interested to hear if lubrication helps a lot too.

I find the wipers on these things are pretty lethargic; especially at idle if the voltage dips from lots of accessories on (like in winter with headlights, fan, wipers etc. all on at once). Upgrading my alternator from 55A to 70A helped a ton as my voltage no longer dips at idle. So if you find your wipers are slow, take a look at your voltage gauge and see if that is part of the problem. I'm very interested to hear if lubrication helps a lot too.

For what it's worth, the voltage as shown on the dashboard looks pretty strong, even during heavy load. I have not put a volt meter on the system during load to check. When I put the wipers on intermittent, they only make it partway across the windscreen before pausing. Super annoying.

Just out of curiosity, and for possible future reference, what's involved in upgrading the alternator? New ones are pretty pricey. Did you crack yours open and change the voltage regulator?

For what it's worth, the voltage as shown on the dashboard looks pretty strong, even during heavy load. I have not put a volt meter on the system during load to check. When I put the wipers on intermittent, they only make it partway across the windscreen before pausing. Super annoying.

Just out of curiosity, and for possible future reference, what's involved in upgrading the alternator? New ones are pretty pricey. Did you crack yours open and change the voltage regulator?

Sounds like your problems are different than mine were. Yours might have to do with the intermittent wiper circuit.

This is what I did to upgrade my alternator: 70A alternator upgrade for 1990+ LJ7x? I bought two due to a shipping mix-up, so have a second one BNIB for sale if anyone is interested.... Anyhow, I'll stop sidetracking Postoy's thread.

I was reading through your post, trying to learn all I can as a new prado owner, and noticed your new radio. I need to change mine out to one that picks up stations in North America not Japan! Im not sure what to get that will fit the opening good. What did you put in? It looks like our trucks are the same color.

I was reading through your post, trying to learn all I can as a new prado owner, and noticed your new radio. I need to change mine out to one that picks up stations in North America not Japan! Im not sure what to get that will fit the opening good. What did you put in? It looks like our trucks are the same color.

Hey! Welcome and congrats on the purchase. What year is your truck? Let’s see some pictures of it!

anyways, you have 2 options for radios. Mine came with the stock storage tray so I was able to keep a single din radio. But I’m thinking I would like to swap it out for a double din down the road. Would love something with Apple car play.

My truck is a 1991. Just had some body work done and paint. I just need the running board on the right side and the body will be in pretty good shape. Postoy is helping me out with the running board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom