Builds Something followed me home (I bought another LJ78) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sooo I did a thing the other day...

I came across what I thought was a smoking deal on a 92 lj78 (SX model)

It is in need of some engine work, Most likely a new cylinder head but the rest of the truck was in such awesome shape I couldn't pass it up. So I loaded up the trailer and picked it up.

Some of you might know that I have been working on swapping a 1uz into my 90 lj78.

Well my wife is about 30 days away from delivering our second child and I have to start being realistic about my time. I am also really starting to get sick of spending ever little minute of extra time (which is limited) on a project that doesn't seem to have an end any time soon. I would also say my lack of experience is hindering my progress (just being honest).

Anyways, Plan is to repair the damaged 92. Follow the holy book of @GTSSportCoupe, swap a few bits over from my old truck and then either part or sell the old truck as a whole project.

Time for me to get out and start enjoying the wilderness again with my 2 year old.

Progress to follow but expect a lot of it to be the same as other members, but you never know... I might come up with my own ideas on some stuff!

Last edited:
Nice. :clap:

Yeah I hear ya. Throw in a boat and = zero spare time.

Sweet. I was eying that thing pretty hard, but I was also about to go on vacation, so I never followed up. Glad someone from the forum got it. Seemed like a pretty good deal if it's genuinely just the head gasket.

Congrats! (I think). No, Congrats on baby #2 and I hope the '92 is a quick fix to get up and going for you. If you ever want to get rid of that spare wheel, ummm just sayin' ;) I see it doesn't have a gauge pod on the dash. I thought they tossed that with the switch to the KZJ in '93 Hmm. Keep the LJ Lounge crowd updated!

I see it doesn't have a gauge pod on the dash. I thought they tossed that with the switch to the KZJ in '93 Hmm. Keep the LJ Lounge crowd updated!

I think the SX grade is missing a few things that the EX5 got. The gauge pod is one of those things I believe. That and no sunroof or suspension seats. A few other little things too. Nothing major really.

My 90 is an ex5

Things that are different between the 2 models is...

Ex5 has sx doesn’t
Electric winch
Electric rear locker
Sunroof
Suede seats
Suspension front seats
Altimeter / inside outside temp
Body coloured mirrors

I think most of these were factory options. So maybe main diff is interior?

I’ve seen sx models come with a locker

I've had both an EX and an SX, and most of the differences I have noticed are cosmetic/interior trim. Both have had the sunroof and altimeter pod. The EX had fender flares, body colored mirrors and suspension seats, as well as suede seats, the SX has a winch and chrome mirrors.

Thanks man, once my inlaws are back in town I plan to tow my old truck back to their place. Then blitz the truck over a couple weekends.

Congrats! (I think). No, Congrats on baby #2 and I hope the '92 is a quick fix to get up and going for you. If you ever want to get rid of that spare wheel, ummm just sayin' ;) I see it doesn't have a gauge pod on the dash. I thought they tossed that with the switch to the KZJ in '93 Hmm. Keep the LJ Lounge crowd updated!

Depends, I’m 6,3” and 250. I had to keep my seats locked cause I was way over weight. If your smaller you might get some lift out of the suspension seats which would give you a little more leg room?

We’re the suspension seats a big difference? I need more legroom than a cushy ride but ....

Nice truck mate when are you starting the tear down on the engine. My guess she has cracked a head let us know if you need parts from Australia.

This might also be highjacking the thread, but anyone know who is selling the 1UZ +trans with LJ mounts up your way? I responded to his/her Craigslist ad but no answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom