something draining the battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been working on my 72 fj40 for the last few months. I put on some new headers, rerouted the electric fuel pump and filter, replaced the TRE's and the u joints among other things. About 2 months ago after getting the headers on I wanted to start her up and hear her run. She started with no problem. A few weeks later did some more work and started her up no prob. That time though I fogot to take the battery cable off afterwards and last weekend after finally getting everything done when I went to start it she was dead :mad: . The next day I had a new replacement battery and she started right up :D . I took her up and dropped her off that night at the muffler shop. Picker her up the next day started fine. Left her sit from Tuesday afternoon to this morning and she was almost dead this morning :mad: . I didnt leave the lights on or anything. Can you guys think of something that would drain a pretty beefy battery that quick other than the lights. I plan on looking at her tonight but was hoping someone had some direction as to where to start.

Thanks

pull the ground cable from the battery...with a continuity meter in line between the post and the cable connection, you are likely getting a draw thru there. Now, progressively pull fuses from the fuse block...if the meter draw vanishes, you've now found the bad circuit.

Starters and alternators are common draws too, and dying batteries may be the first sign of their impending doom....pulling the connections from those may eliminate something too.

bad alternator and a rusty fuse block did it for me....

with the ground side off and a meter between there was no draw. My external voltage regulator seems to be working fine it takes me up to 14.5 volts although slowly. THe alternator seems to be charging fine and the amp meter is functioning and shows when I hit the brakes or anything that would draw some charge. I disconnected my winch to see if the relay in it may be pulling on the battery at times for some reason. So I'll let it sit for a night or 2 and see if she cranks.

Thanks for the help.

if there is no current flow between the disconnected ground and the "-" terminal of your battery then either you measured wrong or there is no drain, AKA current flow.

...test that you are properly checking the current flow by turning on the lights while you have the ground disconnected...should make the meter react....

....I learned my meter was crap that way....lol

Electric choke (on a Weber) connected to the a 'live' fuse rather than an 'accessory' fuse did me in.

yup , I vote for electric. choke going to constant power or if you got a stereo make sure the remote amp turn on is not hooked to the constant hot for the memory or it will leave amp on just with no input from deck and this killed my batt. overnight.

I think I found the problem. I think it was my winch. Unhooked that on thursday and let her sit and she fired right up on sunday even with the lights on. I will have to keep an eye on it but I think I at least have the problem located. Now to fix it is another story.

Thanks for the help

pull the solenoid cover, grab a can of electrical cleaner, and go to town....once dry, see if ya can spot anything shorting in there....

possibly a bad solenoid too.

When you checked for current draw you had 0? when you hit the brakes what did it measure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom