Someone talk me out of this obsession (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrX

Threads
to sell my 2014 200 LX for one with less miles? (107k). The truck was cared for almost to a level of ridiculousness (came with 2 keys, all weather OEM Lexus on top of regular ones, even the wireless DVD headphones, full service history----absolutely nothing neglected).

I think it's just that I'm anticipating these going up in value over time. Not that I have any problem with a used high-end Lexus with 100k let alone a LC based one.

I got it for $33,500 but had planned to spend up to 40k (not necessarily at this time however). But who cares, right? I couldn't say no to that price and condition. I should just shut up and get over this and enjoy the 9.5/10 condition truck I got for a steal, right? Lol.

How much newer, and why? And when did you buy?

It's unlikely to make financial sense. And at 100k your current truck may need some work but overall probably runs pretty close to new still.

That said if I hadn't built my 2013 LC I might trade it for a '17 or '18. I like the face lift Toyota did. Not that I dislike the 2013 though. Being built I wouldn't go down that road as I'd have to start over though.

Two things
- Why bother with the time and effort, to spend more, to land at much of the same? Then the added registration and insurance costs (I think you're pretty young?) It's not without risk and you may end up with less? Unless a 2016+ is really calling out to you, and can you get there within your budget?
- The opportunity with these cars is that they're tanks and reliable well into higher mileage. It's not like a Porsche or BMW where there's a lot more value or reliability to seek something with less mileage. You're sitting pretty at the bottom of the depreciation curve and I'm not sure you can do much better or better at all.

Nope. If you were talking a cruiser where there is a significant (positive IMO) appearance difference between pre and post 16, I could see it. But if you want to keep the good stuff of the LX (AHC, fancier interior) the equivalent would be a 16+ LX, and while I don't hate their appearance like many here do, they are a significant downgrade in terms of off-road performance due to the approach/departure angles.

In terms of durability and longevity you can think of your 100k mile 200-series as a 50k version of almost anything else. Why trade a known quantity for the same thing with 25k?

How much newer, and why? And when did you buy?

It's unlikely to make financial sense. And at 100k your current truck may need some work but overall probably runs pretty close to new still.

That said if I hadn't built my 2013 LC I might trade it for a '17 or '18. I like the face lift Toyota did. Not that I dislike the 2013 though. Being built I wouldn't go down that road as I'd have to start over though.

Bought a couple weeks ago. I was thinking an identical one ‘13-‘15 with 70k miles or so.

It really doesn’t make financial sense. I’ll change plugs at 120k but all maintenance has been done, it’s a “like new” vehicle. Even stuff I wouldn’t have touched at that mileage has been done. For example the transfer case fluid, both diff fluids, and AHC suspension fluid along with brake fluid and coolant at about 85-90k. I would take those 4x4 fluids a ways further if I were original owner.

Maybe I just needed to type this out to see how silly and stupid it is.

In terms of durability and longevity you can think of your 100k mile 200-series as a 50k version of almost anything else.

I’ve actually thought that exact same thought, lmao.

I do like the ‘16 looks but at the expense of off road ability, absolutely not.

Nope. If you were talking a cruiser where there is a significant (positive IMO) appearance difference between pre and post 16, I could see it. But if you want to keep the good stuff of the LX (AHC, fancier interior) the equivalent would be a 16+ LX, and while I don't hate their appearance like many here do, they are a significant downgrade in terms of off-road performance due to the approach/departure angles.

In terms of durability and longevity you can think of your 100k mile 200-series as a 50k version of almost anything else. Why trade a known quantity for the same thing with 25k?

The 16+ LX having worse angles in not exactly true, and often parroted by certain LX haters like madkitten. The case where it is true, is relative to pre-2013 LX models, and the Sports Trim models on the latest models that get a large chin spoiler though those are pretty rare.

Table below from this thread, shows the 2013-2015 and 2016+ LXs, to have equivalent angles.

The later 2016+ LX get some neat tricks that could be of benefit off-road. Lower crawl ratio with the 8-speed (6-speed: 34.1:1, 8-speed: 41.5:1). Bigger brakes. Multi-Terrain select. Turn-Assist.

1620073927026.png

Bought a couple weeks ago. I was thinking an identical one ‘13-‘15 with 70k miles or so.

It really doesn’t make financial sense. I’ll change plugs at 120k but all maintenance has been done, it’s a “like new” vehicle. Even stuff I wouldn’t have touched at that mileage has been done. For example the transfer case fluid, both diff fluids, and AHC suspension fluid along with brake fluid and coolant at about 85-90k. I would take those 4x4 fluids a ways further if I were original owner.

Maybe I just needed to type this out to see how silly and stupid it is.
30k miles is meaningless on these vehicles. I guarantee my LC with 110k on it has more wear on it from towing, 4-wheeling, and otherwise constant city driving than some of the 200k+ LCs out there. If the vehicle you scored is in good shape be happy with it and move on.

What a stupid thread lol mods feel free to delete.

I just sort of needed to hear it.

The 16+ LX having worse angles in not exactly true, and often parroted by certain LX haters like madkitten. The case where it is true, is relative to pre-2013 LX models, and the Sports Trim models on the latest models that get a large chin spoiler though those are pretty rare.

Table below from this thread, shows the 2013-2015 and 2016+ LXs, to have equivalent angles.

The later 2016+ LX get some neat tricks that could be of benefit off-road. Lower crawl ratio with the 8-speed (6-speed: 34.1:1, 8-speed: 41.5:1). Bigger brakes. Multi-Terrain select. Turn-Assist.

View attachment 2664311
I’d like to see those numbers verified. One look at a non-sport 16+ LX easily makes the argument for much worse approach angle, based on the lower height of the front chin. It would have to be much less deep to keep the same angle.

View attachment 2664311

wasn’t multi terrain and turn assist standard from 2013+ ? Or am I misunderstanding your post.

Reactions: MrX
What a stupid thread lol mods feel free to delete.

I just sort of needed to hear it.
I think you just want to hear that you need to have both of them. That seems less crazy to me than all the transaction costs to sell. I would have 8 of them if I could afford it (I feel like Mel Gibson in conspiracy theory buying the Cather in the rye; that’s a problem).

Reactions: MrX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom