Someone stole the catalytic converter from my parked 1997 Lancruiser 80... WTF?! What do I do now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess this is a thing? Platinum? Anyway, I live in Denver, my cruiser has been parked in my back alley driveway space for a couple months. Went out to check and charge the battery and when I started the ole girl up, it was super loud and stinky... Look under the car on passenger side... Catalytic converter totally gone, huge 2 foot gap between pipe from engine to pipe to tail!

Anyway, I’m not of much means right now... Had been away traveling for work. Was already saving up to put new brakes and rotors on it as they need to be replaced, barely have enough for that... Car is outdated registration, I will need to re-register and I think pass emissions again as it’s been a while... What do I do?! What’s the most economical way to fix this problem? I called some local Yota yards and I guess it’s illegal to sell used cat converters, any advice on what is a good economical (I hope) way to fix this? Any ideal aftermarket ones for the LC80? Thank you for any ideas and advice... Stay safe and sane out there kith and kin!

If your vehicle is a 93 or 94 you could have someone make up a 'test pipe' to bridge the gap that you have. The O2 sensors on the 93 & 94 are up stream of the cats so no issues. If it is 95 or later then your choices are on purchasing new cats. Hopefully the perps didn't steal the up and down stream O2 sensors...

Had this happen once on my old 1987 4Runner when I had it parked for sale on the side of the road. Lesson learned. Irish Reiver has it right on the fix.

If your vehicle is a 93 or 94 you could have someone make up a 'test pipe' to bridge the gap that you have. The O2 sensors on the 93 & 94 are up stream of the cats so no issues. If it is 95 or later then your choices are on purchasing new cats. Hopefully the perps didn't steal the up and down stream O2 sensors...

It’s a 97. I do see a sensor looking thing dangling. The harness that runs to the inside of the car/engine is intact, the other side that fit and ran to the cat is clipped wires. Thank you for the advice/help, yeah a new cat converter is in my future I guess. Will look up what is best/economical for a replacement cat for the 97. Thanks for the help!

With any luck the used cat recycle market / meth monkey scourge will pass.

I forget which metal (rhodium maybe?) - one of the exotic metals value plummeted ~24mo back when they figured out an alternative grid composition.

It was one of the bullion metals traded - investors took a bath as I was told.

the problem with used is that you don't know if its good and in Denver you will need 2 of them to pass. I did pass on a single one but i think I got lucky because they did not visually inspect.

I heard alot of people having this issue in denver along with spare tires going missing.

Was the vehicle covered by comprehensive insurance? If so you may be reimbursed minus deductable for a Y pipe/cat and the second cat. I would push for OEM, IME you may have the right to request OEM parts (might depend on the Insurance Regs in your State?).

SuperGalaxyD, Just a question, were you "lucky" so to speak and the thieves just unbolted your old converts leaving the factory converter exhaust flanges and O2 sensor wiring harness intact. Or did they just cut them off with a saws all taking the converters, O2 sensors, O2 sensor harness plugs, and exhaust flanges with them?

Can you use a flowmaster universal cat? California has restrictions on these, but I think all other states are okay?

MagnaFlow has both direct-fit and universal cats that are CARB compliant. Good quality stuff. Helluva lot cheaper than OEM if you can't get 'em replaced with your insurance.

I think there are also some off brand cats that are super cheap. Check the CARB website for the full list.

With any luck the used cat recycle market / meth monkey scourge will pass.

I forget which metal (rhodium maybe?) - one of the exotic metals value plummeted ~24mo back when they figured out an alternative grid composition.

It was one of the bullion metals traded - investors took a bath as I was told.
I think it's palladium.

There's three ways to look at this.
1. Your cats were pretty old, so it's not like getting cats ripped off of a car with 10,000 miles. You were probably pretty close to the life expectancy.
2. What @NorCal97 said. Time to get some nice high flow Magnaflows
3. Convince significant other that White Knuckle sliders will help deter future thievery.

Yep this is a thing. Sounds like your O2 sensor is gone too. Thieves aren’t going to mess with unbolting anything. Sawzall and off in 10 seconds. There are some cat converter protection products online, but those sliders sound like a good option.

And buy a lock for your spare tire. There is a way to lock it.

SuperGalaxyD, Just a question, were you "lucky" so to speak and the thieves just unbolted your old converts leaving the factory converter exhaust flanges and O2 sensor wiring harness intact. Or did they just cut them off with a saws all taking the converters, O2 sensors, O2 sensor harness plugs, and exhaust flanges with them?

Part of what I assume is o2 sensor wiring harness is intact coming from engine/inside of car. Flange on engine side of exhaust is intact, flange from converts to exhaust/muffler is gone (if there was one). A friend who looked at it said it looks like I can use flange in front and will need to weld from converts to exhaust/muffler... O2 sensors are def gone, just make/female and wires are left of any left Rica that ran to the cats...

And I don’t have comprehensive. The land cruiser is technically on salvage title. Will look into magnaflow, thank you all for the help and advice. And yes, realistically, the cats were close to failing, car was getting stinky and o2 sensor was throwing a code already, so may have needs this by next emissions testing anyway. Bastards forced my hand! Cheers folks.

The battery pack tool revolution is as good for me as it is for thieves. It used to require a lot of heavy tools or effort to loosen well torqued bolts and nuts. Or long hours with a hacksaw, but now they can just rip apart anything.

I think your best bet, short term, will be someone parting out if they left you with something to work with. If they chopped it all off, then you're going to need a welder and some fabrication. If you need fabrication, you'll be better off with an aftermarket weld on.

The other point of issue is emissions. Some places will want to see TWO catalytic converters to pass, not just one. If your truck came with two, they want to count two, even if they are aftermarket.

It is illegal to sell a used cat in Colorado, and exhaust shops and junkyards know it, but many individuals do not (or aren't at risk of getting fined or losing their license). If you search "land cruiser" on the auto parts section of Denver Craigslist, there is a guy down in Sedalia who has a fleet of cruisers parting out. He might be able to help you get the parts.

It is illegal to sell a used cat in Colorado, and exhaust shops and junkyards know it, but many individuals do not (or aren't at risk of getting fined or losing their license). If you search "land cruiser" on the auto parts section of Denver Craigslist, there is a guy down in Sedalia who has a fleet of cruisers parting out. He might be able to help you get the parts.
Yeah that's Oleg. You can spend 100-200 on a used one or just buy the magnaflow for 400...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom