someone pls review this dealer invoice? C.Dan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
lcbill.JPG

so I am reviewing the dealer records that came with my 96 80, and this would appear to me that the Birfields were replaced? im guessing Toyota does not refer to them as "birfields" work was done 2.5 years ago, 26k miles back. So am I in good shape? still gonna have them repacked when I do the front rotors. I see a little grease build up around the edges.

what you can't see entirely says " customer states when turning left noise as if something is about to fall apart."

while many have said the dealer tends to just service them, this work order looks like a replacement. Thanks for any input.

well i guess i jumped the gun. Threw this question out to C.Dan while getting a quote on some parts, and yes indeedy the Birf's were replaced. Im happy as a lark.

Just another warning to those of you out there searching for used 80's, do not jump at the first one you see. the prices are plummeting.

My 96 has 132K recent birfs, locked, garage kept, OEM tires with 500 miles on them, never wheeled, (you get the picture) for $9100.

Cool but what did you end up doing about your front brakes? :eek:

I changed the front pads with el cheapo's from CAP before I made the drive to Hyannis. the backs are fine, the front rotors are a little chewed up, but they are straight. Braking action is up to par. Soon, I will be changing out the front rotors, repacking the birfs, and moving up to 100 series pads.

Stayalert, If you ever want to pack up the cruiser and bring the kids down to the Nantucket shoot me an email, I deal in hotels here. You can leave your cruiser in Hyannis and drive mine on the beaches while you are here, costs about $400 'round trip for a car on the steamship!!! :eek:

Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Elizabeth Islands, Block Island, are rarely too hot. Having no wind would also be a bit unusual. Sounds like you caught higher than typical temps.

I spent a lot of time cruising, fishing, and diving the area. Loved every minute of it. Well, most of it, anyway.

Nantucket_LC said:
Just another warning to those of you out there searching for used 80's, do not jump at the first one you see. the prices are plummeting.

Noticed that myself. Don't know why, but even locked ones are going a lot cheaper than during the summer. Does it always do this seasonal thing?

--Eddie

landtank said:
We were on the island this year. We thought it would be cool and breezy, boy were we wrong. Couldn't wait to leave. Is it always like that?

Nights can be very muggy. and AC isn't very common in most of the older houses and B&B's. There were many nights this summer where sleeping was brutal without AC Other than that, we had a fantastic summer.

Back to Business.

LandTank, or anybody, Some relatives of ours have an independant garage, and they give me great deals on labor, and pay close attention to detail. How can I best describe to them whats involved with repacking the Birf's and bearings when they do my rotors. I want to help them out with info so they know what they are getting themselves into. They have done lots of Toyota truck, 4runner repairs, not so sure about cruisers. Thanks!

mason said:
Noticed that myself. Don't know why, but even locked ones are going a lot cheaper than during the summer. Does it always do this seasonal thing?

--Eddie

Well, 98% of the time, the owners / dealers don't even know what the lockers are or if they have them, so the price is usually not marked up because of lockers unless the owner is a Cruiserhead, which is rare.

Nantucket_LC said:
Nights can be very muggy. and AC isn't very common in most of the older houses and B&B's. There were many nights this summer where sleeping was brutal without AC Other than that, we had a fantastic summer.

Back to Business.

LandTank, or anybody, Some relatives of ours have an independant garage, and they give me great deals on labor, and pay close attention to detail. How can I best describe to them whats involved with repacking the Birf's and bearings when they do my rotors. I want to help them out with info so they know what they are getting themselves into. They have done lots of Toyota truck, 4runner repairs, not so sure about cruisers. Thanks!

Sent you a PM. The rotors and birf jobs aren't too technical just time consuming. The factory Service manual is pretty darned easy to follow. Searching here will also yield some good info/descriptions. Having just done two trucks worth of front rotor replacements I can give you a hand if you're in the area and the schedule works out...I figure with two of us it would take ~2.5 hours to replace the rotors/pads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom