Someone close to Charlotte/Huntersville, NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, sorry to break into your room and start asking for help. I have lurked on this forum for a long time, but I finally go permission from my wife to buy so now I am looking hard for a good 40. I found a 72 FJ40 on ebay that I am interested in, but the guy has 0 feedback and I just want to be sure the deal is good to go and the cruiser is not just a bondoed up facade.

I dont know if any of you have seen this cruiser in person or if there is someone that would be willing to go check it out for me. I live about 8 hours south which is too far for me to travel with my current schedule. The guy said if I bought it he could meet me with it close to Atlanta which would allow me to get it over a day trip.

Anyways, here is the link to the cruiser: Toyota : Land Cruiser : eBay Motors (item 250623566475 end time May-08-10 11:51:48 PDT)=

Has anyone seen this themselves, or would someone be willing to go check this truck out for me?

Thanks,

Ryan

I may be able to.... I think I actually saw this truck about a month ago when I was comming back from a bar in huntersville.

Love the color.. but then again I'm partial to the Nebula! Not sure if it's an exact match, but it's close, maybe Spring Green..

yea, I love the color. I asked him what color it was, all he could tell me is that it is an original FJ color. I am prodding for a little more information as I want to make sure I can get the doors done to match.

I have always liked the dune beige, but this is a unique color and being that it is an original color makes it even cooler.

Is there anything I should ask just based on what anyone sees in the photos? I have never owned an FJ before, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is what he said when I asked what it needs/is going to need in the near future "the rear brakes need some work and the front seal on the transfer case gets a little wet, needs replaced"

yea, I love the color. I asked him what color it was, all he could tell me is that it is an original FJ color. I am prodding for a little more information as I want to make sure I can get the doors done to match.

I have always liked the dune beige, but this is a unique color and being that it is an original color makes it even cooler.

Is there anything I should ask just based on what anyone sees in the photos? I have never owned an FJ before, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is what he said when I asked what it needs/is going to need in the near future "the rear brakes need some work and the front seal on the transfer case gets a little wet, needs replaced"

There's a color match page somewhere, do a search and I'm sure you'll find it. I run across it every so often, and forget where it is.

Don't repair the rear drum brakes, go ahead and do a disc brake conversion. That's something I wish I did when I bought mine. I have no problems with my drums (when they're adjusted), but the money I spent to put new cylinders, shoes, and the drums turned would be about the same as the conversion brackets, calipers, pads and discs. Do a search for that also. Tell me what color that ends up being...

1. Ask what carb that is - looks to be a Holley, not sure - definitely not stock
2. I dig the seats, but make sure seatbelts are functional
3. Dash pad appears to be missing - pricey to replace the whole thing, cheap to recover
4. I'd HAVE to see pictures of the rear sill area from underneath before I even considered spending that much coin on a 40
5. See 4. above - same for rear frame gussets and inner fender wells.
6. Transfer case leak is not too bad if you are mechanically inclined, but if pulling it I'd go ahead w/ a rebuild kit ~$200 in parts.
7. I'd want to see condition of the knuckles - if inner seals are leaking the grease in the knuckles will be soup and will need a axle rebuild. Easy, but time consuming and about ~200 in parts if you replace bearings while in there.
8. Wiring has definitely been hacked some in the engine compartment, so I'd want to know what's going on there. Might just bee for accessories, but you don't want to wind up chasing electrical issues for days on end - ask Greg how much fun that can be.

Pictures leave a lot to be desired given the limited description of the truck. I'd be more than willing to look it over Mother's day weekend, when I'll be in the Charlotte area, but I would guess that would be too late.

:beer: Ramon

Body panels look strange to me. Rear fender cut outs look strange. Might of had to replace because of rot. Also the front fenders look strange from those pics.

Too much coin.

I would continue looking.

Good eye Darin. Those rear quarters are not the stock cutout shape. I knew (or at least thought) the front fenders are aftermarket, but that is so common on most 40's now. I'm kinda' with you on "keep looking", but it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Looks fairly clean overall though.

:beer: R

You are right, Looks clean.

Buy it now is just too much in this economy i think.

I think he said the rear fenders had been "trimmed". I am not afraid of a little mechanical work, I cannot do (have never done) body work. My major limitation is going to be time over the next year, I would like something that is somewhat driveable in the mean time. I would like to do the disc brake conversion regardless of the condition of the brakes. I am looking for something to pull a trailer and from my research a major limitation of towing is being able to stop your trailer.

LT1Fire may be going to look at it for me if he can get something arranged with the seller. I wouldnt say that mothers day weekend is too late, this is at least the 2nd time this has been up for auction.

I think that after a couple of unsuccessful auctions (this is at least the second) the seller may understand that he is not going to get $7500 for it...but we will see.

I am also glad to keep looking. I would love to find something local that I can take a look at personally before committing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom