some type of funky stock bumper in 85? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DMZ

Threads
I'm going to look at this BJ70 tomorrow and it has a pretty funky looking bumper and was wondering if it was sometype of stock bumper at some point or some cheap aftermarket thing - location NSW, Oz. Please take a look...

A2BC8663353143AFA26E9E0B54F4FAAD.jpg

ahh the good old rubber style bumper when i was undergraound they stearted bringing those in so when the utes roll away into the tunnels of rocks or people fall asleep at the wheel and crash into the walls the bar just bend back ,as ugly as they and as much as i would never ever have one they are not a bad thing
So when you replace it best place to look for a bar would be wreckers specially one with minning utes as they usually have heaps some places charge around $500 2nd hand a toy wrecker in perth i normally get bits of sells them for around the $250 mark dont matter if they have a bit of red dirt just make sire the bolt holes were it joins to the chassis arnt flogged out, you can use any bar of a ute, troopy, middy or shorty from 1985-2006

BTW that red bad boy is a 73 series
the 70 series is a shorty with metal roof
the 73 series has the removable fibre glass top and is a little bit longer
on the shortys the rear wheel arch pretty much joins to the back of the front door on the red you can see there is a bit of length betweem the rear of the front door and front of the rear wheel arch

BJ means 4cyl diesel
FJ means 6cyl petrol
good luck with the beast

decided to pass for now

hey folks,
I decided to pass on the BJ73 above for some fairly irrational reasons most likely.
A) it was raining and water was leaking into the lower corners of both the drivers side and passenger side front window. I'm guessing it has something to do with improper sealing around either the front window itself of where the fibberglass roof met the windows frame. There was considerable rust on the inside of the driver's side front window frame and it was enough to collect on the dash. Most likely an easy fix I would think, but if it was then why hadn't it been done? There was plenty of signs that they tried chaulking the front window seals.
B) my girlfriend insisted that not having AC in Australia would be very bad in the summer. What is the likelyhood of finding AC in a 1985 cruiser?
C) The sheet metal on the front of the rig behind this gaint rubber bumper showed that it had been impacted at least two seperate times and the drivers front door gap was off. Of course, wouldn't you expect a 25 year old truck to have been banged around a bit?
D) Is it standard on a 3B engine to have a hose, coming off the engine block about 12 inches long that isn't connected to anything and emits puffs of smoke when the engine is running? I don't know much about 3Bs.
D) There was a wire running from the left back wheel to the right back wheel that was taunt and at the same level as the axle, but about 4 inches away from the axle. I never had such a wire on my old FJ40 just sitting there in space between the two wheels. If this standard on a 70 series?
E) in the last cross member of the ladder frame at the back of the vehicle - it appeared that the frame was not boxed for about 6 inches in the middle. So the cross member was boxed (4 sided) until it reached about the middle and then for about 6 inches it wasn't boxed - 3 sides, then it continued being boxed. Is this normal?

I guess I'm still floating on this purchase...thoughts anyone? Am I being too picky? They want top dollar. The engine pulled strong and hit 80 fairly quickly. Is not having AC acceptable or I will never find such thing as an 85 with AC in Oz?

thanks,
best,
Douglas

A) Leaks, easy to fix. Rust = bad if it's past the surface rust stage
B) Can't comment
C) Be careful to evaluate the cost of repair (if necessary?). Factor in cost of body pieces, in addition to paint supplies and having someone paint the parts if you're not doing it.
D) Stock (crankcase vent tube)
D2) Stock (parking brake cable - FJ40 probably had brake on driveshaft)
E) Stock more than likely?

The seller should be willing to adjust the price based on some of the things it needs.

If the truck is great, and you love it, then you could theoretically add A/C later.

Just out of curiosity, what does a used truck like that go for in Australia? How many km's on that unit? In Canada here we don't see many of them at car lots, or what looks to be palm trees in the background either.

Just out of curiosity, what does a used truck like that go for in Australia? How many km's on that unit? In Canada here we don't see many of them at car lots, or what looks to be palm trees in the background either.

The FJ73 are usually the cheapest because of the fuel cost and they are the most common(fuel was cheap in the mid 80s)
Any good licensed and running landcruiser is worth $5k in oz and goes up from there,7* series included.
A really nice BJ74 would be worth $9K and probably have 250000klms.

I think the best bargains are the HZJ75 cab chassis ,you can pick up late 90s models with 200000klms for $12k.
Many of them are well maintained trades peoples vehicles

Palm trees were not real common in oz until someone hit on the idea of importing them from se asia and the pacific.
Now everyone realises how much water they suck in the worlds driest continent and they are being chopped down left right and centre

hey folks,
I decided to pass on the BJ73 above for some fairly irrational reasons most likely.
A) it was raining and water was leaking into the lower corners of both the drivers side and passenger side front window. I'm guessing it has something to do with improper sealing around either the front window itself of where the fibberglass roof met the windows frame. There was considerable rust on the inside of the driver's side front window frame and it was enough to collect on the dash. Most likely an easy fix I would think, but if it was then why hadn't it been done? There was plenty of signs that they tried chaulking the front window seals.
B) my girlfriend insisted that not having AC in Australia would be very bad in the summer. What is the likelyhood of finding AC in a 1985 cruiser?
C) The sheet metal on the front of the rig behind this gaint rubber bumper showed that it had been impacted at least two seperate times and the drivers front door gap was off. Of course, wouldn't you expect a 25 year old truck to have been banged around a bit?
D) Is it standard on a 3B engine to have a hose, coming off the engine block about 12 inches long that isn't connected to anything and emits puffs of smoke when the engine is running? I don't know much about 3Bs.
D) There was a wire running from the left back wheel to the right back wheel that was taunt and at the same level as the axle, but about 4 inches away from the axle. I never had such a wire on my old FJ40 just sitting there in space between the two wheels. If this standard on a 70 series?
E) in the last cross member of the ladder frame at the back of the vehicle - it appeared that the frame was not boxed for about 6 inches in the middle. So the cross member was boxed (4 sided) until it reached about the middle and then for about 6 inches it wasn't boxed - 3 sides, then it continued being boxed. Is this normal?

I guess I'm still floating on this purchase...thoughts anyone? Am I being too picky? They want top dollar. The engine pulled strong and hit 80 fairly quickly. Is not having AC acceptable or I will never find such thing as an 85 with AC in Oz?

thanks,
best,
Douglas

Most of them had A/C but the 85 often didnt for some reason .I guess it was an option that became standard later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom