Some trim removal questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting my 60 ready for paint and was wondering how to get the exterior door handles off, actually the linkage to the handles and key lock? also the outer stainless steel window sweeps? I really don't want to damage them by prying on them. I already have the interior door panels out.

First two are easy. Remove the interior door panel and then you can remove the linkage and pull the retainer that holds the key cylinder.

The chrome is NLA...as in no longer available but the weatherstrip is.. Here is some reading for you:

The plastic linkage clips holding the linkage on. How do you get them off? and can you buy new ones if they break?

Yeah. I got a deal at the body shop Because I agreed to remove all the trim. Now I understand why. Pretty much got everything done except the front - rear bumper. The're soaking in PB Blaster. I Think I'm going to leave the outer window swipes and stainless trim on the top of the door sills to the professionals. I'm to afraid to go prying on them and bend something. Maybe they can just mask them off? The repaint will be the same color so he isn't doing the jams or any of that.

Pretty much got everything done except the front - rear bumper. The're soaking in PB Blaster

Before you remove the nuts that hold the bumper on the truck, be SURE you clamp the bumper bolts to the bumper (with a block of dense/oak wood on the bolt head to protect the bolt and bumper) using a big c-clamp. By doing this, you will avoid rounding out the square holes in the bumper and mangling it. What happens is that just after you get the bumper nut loosened and start to feel victorious, the square head section starts spinning in the bumper, rounding out the bumper's square hole. Bad things happen after that, including the use of language unbefitting that of a gentleman.

I broke a few of the bumper bolts, they are still available from Toyota, so dont panic.
Good to know. I also see that SOR has side marker lights as one of mine disintegrated while taking it off. I'm trying to be as careful as I can. Plastic is biodegradable after all.
One more thing, I'm also looking for the left side snake blinder trim if anyone has it. Mine was missing when I purchased this rig and will eliminate it completely if I cant find one.

SteveH is talking about rounding the square hole in the bumper not breaking the bolt. The bolt has a square notch in it just under the round head and that will round the square hole in the bumper. Then you'll not be able to tighten it back up. You will have to switch to a hex head bolt or fix your rounded hole.

SteveH is talking about rounding the square hole in the bumper not breaking the bolt. The bolt has a square notch in it just under the round head and that will round the square hole in the bumper. Then you'll not be able to tighten it back up. You will have to switch to a hex head bolt or fix your rounded hole.
Got it.

AKA Carriage head bolt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom