some specs on diesel engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to install a diesel in my fj60. I was wandering if any of you lucky diesel owners could help me deside what engine to look for. I am thinking of a 3b, 13bt, or a 2h. What I need to find out is how much power these engines make, how much power they can be made to make and what kind of milege they get.
Any help would be very nice
Thanks
Jonathan

1HZ or the HDT are the only ones i recommend since we can get parts for them for years to come... powerful, reliable, fuel efficient and can be made to put out 250 ++hp...
cheers

Matt (Browndog) recently put a 13B-T into his 60. I think he's in Bend, OR...so he's relatively close to where you are. Sounds like he's very happy with his 13B-T/H55f swap into his FJ60. You might want his opinion.

Other than that, the 12H-T, 1HZ and 1HD-T are also great options. Personally, I would see if there's any good 12H-T or 1HD-Ts available.

Jonathan:

Send me a pm and I'll give you my phone number so you can call and check out my 13BT. I love it. To give you an idea how sufficient the power is check this out:

I can cruise up Hwy 97 at Lava Butte at 70mph while pulling my drift boat with no problem. Without the boat I can pretty much accelerate up the entire hill.

If you've been down to the lower Deschutes at Warm Springs my truck will accelerate all the way up the hill heading south towards Madras without breaking 900 degrees on the EGT.

On a long road trip with a fully loaded rig I was averaging 26mpg. Even when I'm pulling the boat I average 19mpg.

I am currently running B99 in the truck and have begun to make my own biodiesel. No problems so far. Give me a shout.

13BT, 1HZ-H55F, or 1HD-T-H55F...I think you would be happy with any of them.

A 12HT into HJ60, an FJ80, or FJ62. For some reason a 12HT into a FJ45 seems right too...

But then, it's your truck, and all you need to do is satisfy yourself...

gb

I would skip 3b/2h conversions- you will hate them

13B-T/12H-T and pre 1990 engines and won't have parts support like other blocks in the future. I have the 13B-T in a factory config'd BJ74 and it's coming out in favor of turbo below.

personally, 1HZ (1990-now) or better yet the 1HD-T (12 valve, 1990-1995) are engine types that are in effect supported by US/CDN dealers. You can buy many gaskets etc off the shelf and service the engine quickly. HZ is like a 2F for stock power, but you can tweak it to sip fuel or light it up to blow the crank out the bottom of the engine. I am putting a 1HD-T in my 74 and will baby it a bit more as I need 100,000 miles out of the conversion (although I can order a long block tomorrow from Australia for about $5,200 New OEM).

the 24 valve turbos are a little harder to service and I'd really have to be in tight with off shore dealers to convert a US vehicle to one (the 1HD-FT). The 1HD-FTE is an 8 wire all electronic engine. If you want one, I may know of a unit in LA but good luck on finding anything for it stateside.

G&S has 1-2 HD-T's in stock (a few hundred miles north or you)

VTCruiser said:
i guess its because i haven't had many problems ;) , but i've been kicking around here and there. the 60 is running SWEET, aiming to buy a turbo/IC for it this fall and i cannot wait.... :bounce:

:cheers:

What turbo set up are you going with VT? That's around the exact time that I'll be trubo'ing mine too. Maybe we can swing a deal together????

Tom

HZJ60 Guy said:
What turbo set up are you going with VT? That's around the exact time that I'll be trubo'ing mine too. Maybe we can swing a deal together????

Tom

turbo . ? I want one .. :)

Thanks for the input, all. You have given me a bit to consiter, like cost for one.

i have here a 1983 BJ60 3B H55F 5spd and split case that runs fantastic and the truck is actually in good shape for $4500 CND. this would make a perfect donor truck for your project.
email me direct at:
wayne@crushersrule.com
if interested.
cheers

rick_d said:
G&S has 1-2 HD-T's in stock (a few hundred miles north or you)

:grinpimp:Yes, one is going into Sheldons FZJ80, and the other we are mating to a rebuilt H55F with new 1HZ shaft, rebuilt t-case with a full splined gear so power from the 1HD-T will not take the shaft or gear out in the long term, and the BEB's will be done as a precaution. The engine has been run and has great compression and oil pressure numbers. Total cost will not be known till everything is done, however when it is finalized and for sale my Avtar will indicate it. It may well be complete 12V...undecided on the starter.:grinpimp:

gb

Last edited:
HZJ60 Guy said:

Tom

Still kinda up in the air. I really like the sound of the Garrett GT28 dual ball-bearing turbo available in Turboglide's kit. It is priced pretty reasonable and has a lot of flexibility. But, I gotta do a little more calling around. I am going to try and read through different companies installation instructions to get a better feel for the kit quality. IC will most likely be Safari or home brew/custom.

what about you?

Local dealer has a 3B Turbo Kit with a KKK turbo ..

1. KKK is a good option .. ?

2. 3B engine has a driver side intake manifold, and pass side exhaust in my 2H has the oposite configuration .. the question is, this kit has a long time in this store and now I can buy very cheap ( 800 USD ) but I thought that this turbo not funtion in my engine, for the oposite manifolds setup.

comments . ? :)

KKK is usually used on Safari kits (i might be mistaken but i am pretty sure) and is a great kit. for $800 i would buy it. the turbo might be a bit small for your application.
cheers

crushers said:
KKK is usually used on Safari kits (i might be mistaken but i am pretty sure) and is a great kit. for $800 i would buy it. the turbo might be a bit small for your application.
cheers

The small is no big deal for me .. I want to preserve my engine .. but I'm point my atention to the sides of intake manifold and exhaust .. are diferent in both engines ..

Or I'm crazy . ? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom