Some smoke after timing belt, valve cover gaskets, etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished up about a week working on the 100.
Timing belt, water pump, pulleys, hoses, starter contacts and plunger, cleaned intake plenum, valve cover gaskets, PCV valve, fuel filter.

My valve cover gaskets had been leaking, so I replaced them while doing all this other stuff. Had a bolt break off on the rear of the head, that was a hole lot of fun to get out. Finally drilled it out and put a helicoil in.

So last night I go to start it up, and had a few lights on the dash: battery, check engine, and a/t oil temp. It still started up just fine. After about 5 seconds I started to notice a small amount of smoke coming from the rear of the DS exhaust/valve cover area. I thought the valve gasket may have gotten pinched, so today I removed the valve cover, only to find it in perfect condition. So, cleaned up and reinstalled.

Then I thought it may be all of the penetrating oil I sprayed on the bolt to get it to brake free which also coated the heck out of the exhaust. So I rolled the truck out, sprayed some degreaser along the headers (while cold), let it sit and then sprayed the area with the hose on low pressure. Then I used the air nossle to blow away any remaining water, started it up again. After about 15 seconds, some smoke started again from the same area.

I've tried reading (via scangauge) to see what the dash lights mean, it says there are no codes at all.

Any thoughts?!?

If it is just smoke from residual oil it'll burn off with no harm, if it is electrical...
Turn the key on, but do not start the engine, wait and see if the smoke starts.
But from the sounds of it you're going to have to let it run and look to see the source of the smoke.
Again, motor oil, penetrating oil, grease from your hands...it'll all burn off but only if it's hot. It will NOT start a fire though.

Turns out, there was some oil residue on the inner side of the headers that I couldn't clean off that burned off after about 30 seconds! I was standing by closely with a hose and fire extinguisher though haha. Also, I can now remove, clean, and install the driver side valve cover in under 30 minutes ha.

I still do have the check engine and a/t oil temp lights on before starting, that go away immediately after starting. Scangauge doesn't show any code before or after.

Thats just the system self test when you turn on the ignition. Nothing to worry about, probably never noticed it before but are now kinda on edge because you spent so much time on her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom