Some questions about switch to bigger tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I technically know very little about tires and I want to switch to a bigger set of tires for my 2004LC100 without any modify and lift (currently has 275 60 r18).
I did some research from our forum and I found the biggest set I can go are 285/75/16 or 285/65/18, then I have some dumb questions about this.
1. I am not an off-road guy, I basically go to lake Tahoe one-time per year other than that I will always drive in town and highway. So the reason I want to change to bigger tires is: for good looking, for better and cooler feeling...So, will these 285s make the lc100 more stable or comfortable feeling? Basically, what the main reasons we all want these bigger tires?

2. If I go with r16 and I need new alloy wheels, so, will all kinds of 5 lug nuts alloy wheels work for this purpose? If not, what should I check when I pureches them?

3. based on my needs (better looking and feeling, more stable and comfortable ), which model should be better 285/75/16 or 285/65/18?

Thank you so much!

1- the main reason is for additional clearance (taller) and better traction. Cooler and comfortable feeling are all subjective. They will potentially make your truck slower and heavier.
2- no, not all kinds. Searching the forum will tell you what other wheels and the bolt size that will work.
3- your needs are appearance, so again, better is subjective.

I would leave your truck as it is.

If you’re a full time on roader other than your Tahoe trip keep the 18’s and grab soMe 275/70/18s you’ll be good.

And add some 1.25 wheel spacers if you want wider stance

And add some 1.25 wheel spacers if you want wider stance
Nice! this is just the next question I want to ask. what I am thinking is a 285/65/18 with a set of spacers would get looking even better? And if the wider 285 will help to get a more stable/ comfortable road feeling? Thank you.

If you want the best feel, IMO, that means smaller tires. Larger tires feel heavy and cumbersome.

You won't have fitment problems with 275/70/18, but go into that knowing you're decreasing your stopping performance and acceleration. For many of us, that's a worthwhile tradeoff because we go offroad, but it may not be worthwhile for you.

1- the main reason is for additional clearance (taller) and better traction. Cooler and comfortable feeling are all subjective. They will potentially make your truck slower and heavier.
2- no, not all kinds. Searching the forum will tell you what other wheels and the bolt size that will work.
3- your needs are appearance, so again, better is subjective.

I would leave your truck as it is.
Yes, I am really an appearance guy. I am still curious that getting a bigger tire like that will help me to get more comfortable driving or worse than the original set?

If you want the best feel, IMO, that means smaller tires. Larger tires feel heavy and cumbersome.

You won't have fitment problems with 275/70/18, but go into that knowing you're decreasing your stopping performance and acceleration. For many of us, that's a worthwhile tradeoff because we go offroad, but it may not be worthwhile for you.
You are right, but I think it might be a worthwhile tradeoff for good looking? and 275/70/18 seems just taller than the original, how about 285/65/18, it's wider, then would it be more stable when driving?

You are right, but I think it might be a worthwhile tradeoff for good looking? and 275/70/18 seems just taller than the original, how about 285/65/18, it's wider, then would it be more stable when driving?
Never run spacers myself, but I'd be surprised if you could feel a stability change in normal driving. Perhaps on a race track or something, but driving like a normal human on the street? Can't see how you'd feel that extra 2" in track width.

Never run spacers myself, but I'd be surprised if you could feel a stability change in normal driving. Perhaps on a race track or something, but driving like a normal human on the street? Can't see how you'd feel that extra 2" in track width.
Thanks for your honest reply, I would think through all these again, maybe it is not a good idea to go that far~

I was actually surprised by the difference I feel with spacers (1.25" w/ 275/70 18s). To me, the truck feels more solid and has less lean and sway in the turns. But, I think this might be because I have a RTT and I was never happy with the roll after I added it. It really feels more stable to me now. After a few months with them on I still notice it, so I don't think it's a placebo effect.

Also, OP, in addition to the other things mentioned, don't forget that when you add taller tires you will change your speedo and mileage count. It's not a big deal, but you'll always get inaccurate speed reading and you trip computer will be off when it tells you you're almost out of gas.

I was actually surprised by the difference I feel with spacers (1.25" w/ 275/70 18s). To me, the truck feels more solid and has less lean and sway in the turns. But, I think this might be because I have a RTT and I was never happy with the roll after I added it. It really feels more stable to me now. After a few months with them on I still notice it, so I don't think it's a placebo effect.

Also, OP, in addition to the other things mentioned, don't forget that when you add taller tires you will change your speedo and mileage count. It's not a big deal, but you'll always get inaccurate speed reading and you trip computer will be off when it tells you you're almost out of gas.
You mean because you have an RTT so sometime you feel sway or unstable, but after adding on the spacer, it did help you get a more stable driving feeling?

285/65/18 vs 275/70/18

+10mm in width isn’t going to translate into better handling or stability or whatever. Neither will +15mm in height. Not in these trucks. If you want the best ride quality get the tallest tire you can (taller tires go over bumps easier) and get them in a standard load (SL) rating. Heavier load rated tires are stiff and heavy (for off-road) and it doesn’t sound like you’ll need any of that. I’d get these if I was in your shoes.

I Had the factory size and went to 275/70/18 and my whip is a pavement princess and I didn’t notice the difference in breaking and mpg. I think 285/65/18 are a negligible difference from 275/70/18 (32.6 vs 33.2 diameter and 11.5 vs 11 width). The difference is nearly 80$ More per tire For 285/65/18 for less diameter trade off and a width that really isn’t going to move the sticks aesthetic wise. Take the height of the 275’s and spend that 300$ Tire savings on wheel spacers where it’s a clean 1.25” stance difference.

Last edited:
I Had the factory size and went to 275/70/18 and my whip is a pavement princess and I didn’t notice the difference in breaking and mpg. I think 285/65/18 are a negligible difference from 275/70/18 (32.6 vs 33.2 diameter and 11.5 vs 11 width). The difference is nearly 80$ More per tire For 285/65/18 for less diameter trade off and a width that really isn’t going to move the sticks aesthetic wise. Take the height of the 275’s and spend that 300$ Tire savings on wheel spacers where it’s a clean 1.25” stance difference.
Thank you, as you using spacer so far, how about it? particularly safety, did you experience any issue caused by spacers? of course, I will go for the top brand.

Had them on my sequoia. They were great, I had no issues. Negotiating with my banker to get them for my Landcruiser. I think I will be quite pleased with the result.

D770EDDC-4364-4474-A5E9-5B6A7D378D9D.jpeg
509B9A31-0983-4FFD-B27A-29070BF0EFEB.jpeg
AF4993F1-8A81-4DF4-A184-9679BDCAA4FE.jpeg

Would I be able to use 285/75 on 18's with no lift or 275/70 is the a better combo in terms of mileage, ride, speed and comfort?
I have the metal ARB bumper in the back for over 5 years now and feel the back may be sagging a bit due to the weight? Factory shocks were replaced with OME shocks about a year ago, should I replace with the factory springs or adjust T-bar is enough? I'm hoping to get 3/4 - 1" of lift in back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom