some questions about power steering leaking and another leaking around wheel bearing (may be?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I just replaced my power steering fluid reservoir, and two hoses with it yesterday due to all those old parts leaking. after that, I found the front driver side boot which connects power steering rack and the tire rod is very wet and dirty (as the pic below):
1. after I replaced the reservoir and hoses I top off the fluid then start the car, I heard a loud noise, then I immediately turn off the car (about 3-5 secs), then I jack up the car turn end to end about 10 times then the nose is mostly gone now. will this 5 secs damage anything?
2. does this means my power string rack also has some kind of leaking?
3. could I add about 1.5oz at205 for fixing? (as I know 2004 lc 100 has about 2 qt of steering fluid)
4. I found the book behind the front driver side wheel is also wet, it this normal? or something leaking there too? (in my second pic)
Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.56.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.57.12 AM.png

1. after I replaced the reservoir and hoses I top off the fluid then start the car, I heard a loud noise, then I immediately turn off the car (about 3-5 secs), then I jack up the car turn end to end about 10 times then the nose is mostly gone now. will this 5 secs damage anything?
No. But for future reference, you should bleed the system with engine off and wheels off the ground *before* you ever turn the engine on.

2. does this means my power string rack also has some kind of leaking?
3. could I add about 1.5oz at205 for fixing? (as I know 2004 lc 100 has about 2 qt of steering fluid)
Probably, but it doesn’t look too bad. Flush the system and add some at-205 and should be good to go.
I found the book behind the front driver side wheel is also wet, it this normal? or something leaking there too? (in my second pic)
Knuckle looks moist too. Could be grease, could be brake fluid, could be PS fluid.

Clean everything off and monitor it. The CV axle boot might have a leaking clamp or a tear in the boot, inspect that one (the aftermarket NAPA axle in the picture).

Does look like a small power steering leak, AT205 should slow it a lot if not shore it up for now, but it will eventually lead to a rack replacement so start budgeting for it.

Does anyone know what would cause the leak on the dust shield and knuckle (second pic from OP)? My ‘06 has developed a similar leak on just the drivers side but I’m not sure what the cause is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know what would cause the leak on the dust shield and knuckle (second pic from OP)? My ‘06 has developed a similar leak on just the drivers side but I’m not sure what the cause is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Rear of steering knuckle/brake dust shield. Is likely some extra grease from last service. Not a leak.

AT-205 is not very effective at stopping output shaft of rack & pinion leaks. But may slow to acceptable weep.

BTW: Power steering takes: 1 qt. of ATF, not 2 qts.

For what it's worth, I spoke with my mechanic yesterday about something else, and he mentioned that if you jack the car up and turn the wheel end to end with the engine off, power steering fluid will leak out of the reservoir, as the power steering fluid pump is turned off, since the engine is off. Not sure if this is relevant to #1 above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom