Some questions about fixing up our 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my mom has been and still is too busy to work on her 2001 Land Cruiser, and it has a few problems that I need advice on.

Firstly, we got in a little fender bender once and need a new front bumper and two headlights (the lights work, but the plastic pieces holding them in are broken). Anyone have advice on where is best to find these cheap, or are they just as cheap on eBay as anywhere else?

Second, we have some rust underneath that is causing a few small problems, mainly that the back bumper isn’t attached on one end because the metal on the frame fell away (don’t worry, the rest of the frame is intact). We’re planning on bolting some metal on to give somewhere for the bumper to fix on because welding may be too weak when on rusty metal—or it may just be too hard to clean the rust off for the weld to hold was the reasoning of my uncle, who would weld for me since I don’t know how. If we were to ever sell this car (we have no reason to but you never know), would anyone care about the unoriginality of us attaching our own metal to it? Or should I not worry since we kind of have no choice?

Third, you know how the sides have those plastic strips that run the length of the car? We need to paint those on ours because the paint is fading. Would any buyers who care about the originality like they may on the bumper care if we just took these off and spray painted them?

I kind of have no clue what I’m doing, so if any of this sounds like I’m being an idiot or you see where I could mess up on this stuff, please tell me. Thanks.

Some photos. The rusty spot has some Fluid Film on it.

84955FCA-3021-443E-8765-6E32030975C8.jpeg

13EFD272-966B-4C06-9BCF-B1B1098728D5.jpeg

D621FBD0-2F7F-442F-9595-6EEB1DE841CA.jpeg

You should be able to get a replacement bumper cover out of a yard or as a take off from someone that's gotten an aftermarket bumper. You can check the classifieds here or post up a want ad there. As for the rust, a repair would be preferable over covering, I'd just make sure the repair gets all of the rust out and is done in a decent fashion. Finally, the side moulding, easy to paint, several threads on what others have done and what they've used, easy search.

Anyone have advice on where is best to find these cheap, or are they just as cheap on eBay as anywhere else?
New Toyota headlights are glass and superior to anything you can get on eBay.

mainly that the back bumper isn’t attached on one end because the metal on the frame fell away (don’t worry, the rest of the frame is intact). We’re planning on bolting some metal on to give somewhere for the bumper to fix on because welding may be too weak when on rusty metal
You just need the two corner mounts ( 5216760030 and 5216860030) and maybe the bumper cover reinforcement (5230960010)

Third, you know how the sides have those plastic strips that run the length of the car? We need to paint those on ours because the paint is fading. Would any buyers who care about the originality like they may on the bumper care if we just took these off and spray painted them?
No, a lot of us have repainted ours. I painted mine black to match the rest of the truck.

I purchased both my new headlights here,

The issue with the trim is that unless your careful you’ll break some of the retainers….
AND there is an adhesive strip on the upper and lower part of each one. I’m pretty sure it runs almost the entire length of each one also.

If I had to do mine I would leave it on the vehicle and do a real detailed job or taping off the trim and going from there.

Fortuntely for me the only real bad part was the fading of the center “stripe” looking area.
I was able to get a metallic 3M vinyl and cut it into 1” strips and patiently covered the faded paint!
Turned out great!

67CBC740-DCB9-4927-A884-9E8718B9A095.jpg

Absolutely worth it for me,
Just be patient and take your time, I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a real nice Exacto blade just for the job.

I mean for a couple hours work and under 30 bucks total. I’m good with that.

I’m on Wifi now and saw your pics, man that does look pretty bad, that would need paint bro…
The 3M stuff was only for the 1” wide strip segment.

Sorry man…

I’m on Wifi now and saw your pics, man that does look pretty bad, that would need paint bro…
The 3M stuff was only for the 1” wide strip segment.

Sorry man…
You’re good and thank you for the advice. I do not have much artistic taste, so do you guys think just a black or dark grey paint would look nice? Or should I just stick with the micah color already there?

Thank you everyone for the advice, ideas, and links!

There are some pics around where the trim is painted the same color as the factory original and they look pretty darn good IMO!

Google “100 series painted moulding“ too many threads to list, then click image search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom