Some pics! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HDS

Threads
Over the last 10 months, I've been working on a build/swap and I thought some pics would be fun to share. I sold a '69 Bronco, which is a great truck but not a great reliable vehicle like a Landcruiser, which is an awesome truck... sure you would all agree with :) With the proceeds from the Bronco I picked up an '83 BJ60 with a really great DT but awful body and frame. I stripped the truck and scrapped everything else. I eventually found a good FJ40 and a tub, stripped it and cleaned up the frame. AWLTECH has some fantastic stuff, including mounts that allow the wider DT from the 60 to go onto the 40... lots of cutting and fab work were required but I wanted to keep everything including Power Steering, Brakes, 5 spd etc. I'm a Metalshop teacher so tools are not a problem... just still working on skills :) Everything eventually fit on, with SO many measurements... I wanted the wheels and everything to line up and track well and the motor to be centred... I took a lot of measurements from a friend with a BJ40. I used the trans mount from the 60 and with a bit of cutting, I managed to use the 40 frame mounts. The slightly wider stance is kinda cool, too. A local machine shop shortened and balanced the driveshafts for pretty cheap. I used the e-brake lines and built a mount/junction for it on the frame. The 60 brake booster fit with only a bit of cutting in the firewall. I fabbed up some steel boxes for the front shock towers and found some shocks that bolted right on for the rears. The power steering box was really easy to locate and bolt on and with all of the U-joints from the 60 the steering column was pretty straight forward. My daughter and son helped a bunch, too. I found the bench seats and patterned and sewed up covers for them... using the sewing machine was an interesting challenge! I also built the hinges for the rear doors... originals are ridiculously expensive, so a bit of 3/16" flat steel and a MIG welder came in handy to build a hinge for each corner. Let me know if I did anything that makes you concerned... I'm not a professional auto guy... just a bit of a hack. Heres a link to my website with all the pics!
stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom