Some Photos of the new Girl!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. just traded in the old beast and upgraded to this. This is my 4th FJ now and bought it as you see it. I dropped in a new dual exhaust but PO did the rest. Paint is awesome in the light. Runs a 302 Windsor with a c4 auto. Wish it had a 4 or 5 speed manual but maybe that will happen down the track. Someone recommended instead of ripping the auto out and putting a manual in, to get the auto rebuilt with a shift kit and stall convertor. I don't really want something that is going to light up the tyres in each gear but I would like a bit more power. What do you recommend?

Cheers Dave
IMGP0828 (Medium).JPG
IMGP0832 (Medium).JPG
IMGP0829 (Medium).JPG

That is a beauty !! I especially like the hood. Personally, I would keep the C-4, there are plenty of tricks you can do to a 5.0 for power, I like auto's. Nice cruiser!:cheers:

A shift kit and stall converter won't give you any more power per se.

All a shift kit does is firm up the shifts. A soft shift means the clutch discs and/or the bands (depending on design) slip longer. The softer the shift, the more friction and heat are created. A firmer shift reduces the friction and heat. Too firm a shift increases shock loads, so other areas may need to be beefed.

A stall converter is designed to move the stall point, which is where the converter starts to transmit power without excessive slipping, to a higher RPM. A mild stall converter is certainly streetable. An excessive stall converter is really useful only for racing. Most stock torque converters stall around 1800 rpm. A mild stall converter will be around 2200 rpm. Stall converters start getting into the realm of being race items from 3000 to 3500 rpm, and race only from 4500 rpm and up. I've run 2200 to 2500 rpm stall converters on the street with no problems. I have no experience running one in a 4x4. Might be nice to be able to give it a bit more throttle in low gear situations, but you'd have to weigh that against breaking traction. BTW, there are different C-4's made for the 302. Van and truck applications used a heavy duty version of the C-4.

If you want power increases, they really only come from engine power increases. The 302 responds quite well to cam changes, particularly split duration cams that have more duration on the exhaust side. The exhaust passages are pretty dang small and more duration really helps. One trick is to install 351 Windsor heads for better breathing. Bigger valves and ports are a plus. But, these can alter compression, so you need to check your current pistons and the cc's of your current chambers. If you are running stock 302 exhaust manifolds, a simple swap to 351 Windsor manifolds really helps. There are a plethora of intake manifolds made. The best for all around use are the performance dual planes.

If you want performance increases, you can get that from lower gearing, but it sounds like you're concerned with fuel economy, so that's probably not an option for you.

Nice hood. Is it aftermarket or custom?

Thanks for the reply. hood is a custom job but there's a bloke in Vic from Eureka 4WD who makes a similar one in fibreglass. He doesn't have a website but he does awesome work. About A$400 for the bonnet. Mines been done in steel.

Cheers Dave:)

nice rig, like the others...bit too shiny for me, prolly wouldent stay that way for long but its a good looken rig for street for sure, i would drool over it if i saw it in the parking lot

Get a ratchet shifter. This will allow you to hang on to gears when you need that lowend.

Good Luck. She looks real nice.

Shift kits are available that hold the gear at any rpm, so you can make it a manumatic if you so desire. I think I paid 40-50 bucks (10-12 years ago) for a C4 kit.

Very nice!

Can you post some pictures of the cover over the rear? It looks like a tonneau (sp?) cover.

Thanks

not a tonneau cover just the rear seats laid down. I have added a couple more pics cause I reckon those guys who reckon there's too much bling REALLY ain't gonna like the dash...hee hee.:flipoff2: :) You'll all correct though, not a rock crawlr, just a street and sand rig.
IMGP0831 (Medium).JPG
IMGP0830 (Medium).JPG

nice 1979-1981 camaro dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom