Some Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, Apologies if this is not the right forum as this is a first for me. Three weeks ago I began the process of getting my HJ61 back on the road after it was sitting in a storage unit for 15 years. I replaced the battery, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, clutch booster, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, tyres, brake fluid, coolant. The car drives the same as it previously did except the play in the steering feels a lot more than I remember so that is next, then the clutch (which is the original).

I need a few parts so some advice is most appreciated. The fuse cover is missing (just to the right of the steering wheel (RHD), the right rear door handle is broken. The bracket the RH front drivers glass sits in is rusting however the mechanism seems ok.

I want to replace the steering tie rod ends, stabiliser rubbers (all of them) and the top and bottom ball joint. If anyone has some tips regarding this please offer. The green light showing the car is in High 4wd does not appear to be working so any tips on this will be appreciated.

Cheers

The steering is exactly the same as it was 15 years ago (since it hasn't been used in 15 years) and likely the same as it was when it was a brand new vehicle.
What HAS changed is your expectations of how it should steer which has been influenced by driving modern cars with rack & pinion steering.

I experienced the exact same thing. My cruiser steering seemed ok enough before it was stored for 9 months- same as it always was, and during that time I was driving a modern front wheel drive car that had precise rack & pinion steering. When I finally drove the cruiser again after getting used to the other car, I was appalled at how bad and loose and imprecise the steering was. I steeried like a tug boat.
The steering hadn't changed in the last 9 months, what hanged was me.

The steering is exactly the same as it was 15 years ago (since it hasn't been used in 15 years) and likely the same as it was when it was a brand new vehicle.
What HAS changed is your expectations of how it should steer which has been influenced by driving modern cars with rack & pinion steering.

I experienced the exact same thing. My cruiser steering seemed ok enough before it was stored for 9 months- same as it always was, and during that time I was driving a modern front wheel drive car that had precise rack & pinion steering. When I finally drove the cruiser again after getting used to the other car, I was appalled at how bad and loose and imprecise the steering was. I steeried like a tug boat.
The steering hadn't changed in the last 9 months, what hanged was me.
For sure. The steering is as it was and has about 100mm of play, which means it needs to be addressed. Some of the ball joint boots are torn so I am going to replace all of them, then the ball joints - same thing and the tie rod rubber bushes are worn. Then I will look at the steering box. Any tips regarding replacing these components (which I have never attempted) is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom