Some old pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Few more vintage pics found. First pic is 1976, second is 1974 I believe

IMG_20230605_110241214_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230605_110224632_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Probably need to move this whole thread over to media as its not really tech but I'm not sure exactly how;.

All I can remember is that trailer was heavy!! My dad had a weight distributing hitch on the FJ40 and the trailer had electric assist brakes. I believe it was quite a chore to drive pulling that trailer with 3 on the tree, no power steering and drum brakes all around.

When I bought my 68 FJ40 in 1974 it had a receiver hitch welded to the frame. Besides a poor job wiring in a trailer plug they had tapped into the hydraulic brake lines in the back will a plug to tie in a trailer's brakes. This was with a stock brake system. No booster and already feeding eight wheel cylinders. I towed a few tandem axle U-Haul trailers with surge brakes the first couple of years. Wasn't until the earlier eighties I rebuilt the steering box with a the help of a neighbor who owned his own shop. Steering was very scary and lucky I didn't do more than put the cruiser on it's side once. At the time I should have past on this 4X4 but small town not much to choose from in the used market. Being in AZ it was rust free. My future wife/ex wife and parents convinced me to get rid of my Opel GT and buy a new Monte Carlo in 1973. If I knew then what I know now would have kept the Opel and bought a new FJ40 in 1973. I still miss the Opel. Don't miss my 68 FJ40 because I still have it.

Great pics. In the 70’s we worried less about what we pulled and what with. We pulled everything with whatever we had. All of it pulled with a ball bolted thru the bumper for goodness sake. Maybe not so safe but it is what we knew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom