Some more wiring questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, After a great visit with Jim Chenoweth, (Finally figured out after 2+ years he is 45 mins from my house)

I have most of the wiring from a 70 FJ40, and just transplanted a 75 2F into it.

I would like to get this thing fired up but need some electrical help. I know I need to get a ballast and run it from the ign switch to the + coil terminal. I have the condeser still, it goes to the +side of coil and then runs to the mount screw of the dist? Right?

? 1. what color wire is the oem ign switch? I suppose i could trace it back to the ignition in the dash, does anyone know off hand.

?2. Where do the wires from the alt all go? I think there are 2-3 ends still hooked up to the back of the alt..

?3. where do the wires from the starter go, I know the battery cable goes to the + terminal on the battery. I assume one of the smaller wires runs back to the ignition switch in the dash.

?4. How hard would it be to put another hole in my early gas tank to run the return line? Is it a straight type of system. Sending unit, One line for supply, one line for return, and the vent and filler, are there separators or anything.

Thanks a million.

Wooh!
Lotsa questions, there.

I'll try, working from the wiring diagram. (You have one, right? If not, there is one in the tech links: http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/72fj40-wire.html ).

Not sure about a ballast, but the Black/Yellow wire runs from the ignition switch to the fuse (15amp, lower half of fuse plate), then a Black/Yellow runs to the positive terminal of the coil.

Alternator wires: F goes to F on the regulator. E goes to E on the regulator (I think it is White/Black, with a branch to headlights in some cases). B goes from the alternator to the fuse plate (it is White lavender) with a branch to the ammeter and a branch to the ignition switch AM terminal.

A Black/White wire goes from the starter solenoid to the ignition switch ST terminal. The battery wire goes to the positive, as you have noticed. Another wire goes from the solenoid to the starter itself (short black wire built in, basically).

Can't help on the fuel tank.

IDAVE thanks for the help, I have a diagram out of the haynes and I guess is was skeered of it. :-\ Looking closer It does make sense, I will see what I can do, just wondering as the motor is from a later year, but Will figure something out.

I decided I am going to kick this thing in its arse. I have a mostly complete 68 harness that I can steal some connectors off if I need to.

I have a soldering iron, and a fire extinguisher in the garage. :D

Its only metal and we can out think it right.

Hey dave,
When I just put in a new alternator, 1 wire from the positive battery also went to the B on the alternator. Thats the way it was wired and the way the instyructions said to wire it up when I installed the new one.

Ken

Interesting, Ken. I forget, do you have an OEM alternator?

The only way I get from the battery to the alternator is through the ignition switch and the ammeter to the B terminal. That's what is in the diagram, and that is how mine is wired (just checked). So. Dunno!

It's the way the one I removed was wired and the instructions I put in told me to wire it. Page 9-2 of the factory 2F manual said to wire it that way too! Must be the diff between a 71 and 77.

Zetasig,

I have a '75. IDave is spot on on the ignition/ballast, and the starter. Romer, I believe is correct abou the alt, working from memory.

As far as the gas tank goes...I am assuming that you are working w/a pre-75 tank and a carb off of a '75. On my '75 there are several lines.

The feed line should be the same as your '70, tank, into filter, into carb.
The return line should run from the retrun line off the '75 carb all the way back trough the hole in the floorboard to the side of the tank faceing the driver seat...look at the correct year in the Haynes manual that you have for a pictuer.

Also, I have a line that goes from the charcole canister to a fule seperator that connects to three lines on the top of my tank(also see Haynes). However, because of the difference in emissions, your tank will lack these lines all together I believe.

Hope that this helps.

xum, Yes your correct on the tank pre 75, there is just one line sending fuel to the carb.
the engine has been desmogged so I dont know if I still need a charcoal cannister or fuel separator or not. or what those other lines do??
I will study the haynes manual this weekend.

I picked up a ballast resister from NAPA. just to see if this thing would fire up. Probably get to it this weekend, the NAPA guy said it was for a mopar motor, but it should work out. as a temp universal balast.

Thanks for all the help.

Anyone got a tank they wanna sell me ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom