some more V8 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i've been doing lots of searching and reading about doing a V-8 swap on my 40 using the stock 4 speed and probably either a downey or AA bellhousing. Looks like I might be able to take this in next winter. Or I could rebuild my 2f, but i'm thinking I might not be happy with the power. Keep in mind this is primarily a street rig, I don't get to do much wheeling anymore. I've got a few questions that I haven't found answers to.

1. I already have a tbi 350 from a 93 fullsize blazer. However from what i've read a 93 motor that came with an auto cannot be used with anything but a 4l60e? So i'm contemplating just making this into a carbed motor,maybe some vortec heads, as I really want more than 200 horse anyway. Or could I just use a howell harness and a computer from a 92-older rig?

2. If I decide to go with the tbi setup, can I use the stock rear dump manifolds? Or are rams horns or blockhugger headers the only way? My truck does have saginaw steering.

3. I've read that it's possible to switch the front and rear driveshafts to compensate for moving the trans/transfercase forward. But i've only read this pertaining to 3 speed trucks. Is it possible to do this on a 4 speed truck too? Or am I destined to have driveshafts modified? Not terrible either way.

4. The motor I have had A/C , but the compressor is gone. Is it possible to run the stock serpentine accessory drive , but without the compressor? Or do I need to buy an idler or something?

1-Forget the carb. Keep the TBI and run the 4l60e.

2-I think you can run the rear dumps if you keep the auto trans.

3-Don't know.

4-Get a new compressor and use it for OBA.

5-Good luck

1 - Can you turn me on to some of your reading material about a '93 TBI not working with a manual transmission? I'm right in the middle of just this swap. '93 Caprice TBI w/NV4500.

3 - A good driveline shop can lengthen or shorten driveshafts easily and for not too much money. I wouldn't let this stop you. And it will be a minor expense relative to adapters and such.

4 - The belt on mine won't engage the other pulleys if I were to remove the AC pump. Mine is gutted to work as an idler until I have time to pick up a used one and plumb it for OBA. Have heard the Sandin pancakes will run for awhile before crashing!

You can put a V-8 far enough forward to switch the drivelines with a 4-speed. That being said I would recommend against it unless your hoping to fit a rockbox, etc. in your drivetrain. The shifter ends up under the heater, kinda a reach for a short person. May run across clearance issues with the differential and the engine. But it will fit. The whole process is a chain of comprimises it just depends on what aspects are important to you.

4. My serpentine has an idler pulley instead of AC. It will be available in a few months when and if my AC unit arrives>

Nocents

Theo,

Both advance adapters and downey claim the 93-newer motors have to stay with the same transmission. Apparently the newer ones use a 40 pulse vss instead of a 2 pulse. Although I do believe that downey offers a vss that attaches to the back of the transfercase that might work. But the ones that connect to the speedo cable are only 2 pulse. But I also have heard of guys running no vss at all.

As far as the a/c compressor thing goes, I might just swap it all out and get one of those bling bling march pulley/bracket setups.

And thanks for the driveshaft info, Bret. Apparently 3 speeds must not be as long as 4 speeds. I've never owned a 3 speed cruiser. I thought the driveshafts were like 7 inches different last time I measured. Custom driveshafts wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not real big on comprimises, my truck actually drives very nice with the 2f. But after spending a few hours in my friends supercharged 71 bronco over the weekend, I'm wanting more power. Lots more power. Although his rig was overheating almost the whole time.

Get the 93 motor. Get an earlier computer that had a manual tranny behind it. (Ebay ~$35) Several vendors will reprogram a computer for you to use the manual, ~$100. Go over to pirates vendor board and order a harness from EFI. Very accomdating seller. I have seen several trucks that use the stock exhaust manifolds. Since your getting the manifolds with the engine, try them on for size. The rams horn can be purchasedd easily if the stock manifolds don't work. The book that "Jags that Run" publishes detais all the issues encountered in swapping newer engines into older vehicles. It does not tell you "how" to do the swap for certain vehicles, although they have several examples, but what you should swap and why. I have the book available for loan. The drivelines can easily be changed. The AC compressors that come in TBI engines doe not lend themselves to well for OBA. I am pretty sure they require oilers, since they have no way of storing oil internally.

cardinal fang said:
Get the 93 motor. Get an earlier computer that had a manual tranny behind it. (Ebay ~$35) Several vendors will reprogram a computer for you to use the manual, ~$100. Go over to pirates vendor board and order a harness from EFI. Very accomdating seller. I have seen several trucks that use the stock exhaust manifolds. Since your getting the manifolds with the engine, try them on for size. The rams horn can be purchasedd easily if the stock manifolds don't work. The book that "Jags that Run" publishes detais all the issues encountered in swapping newer engines into older vehicles. It does not tell you "how" to do the swap for certain vehicles, although they have several examples, but what you should swap and why. I have the book available for loan. The drivelines can easily be changed. The AC compressors that come in TBI engines doe not lend themselves to well for OBA. I am pretty sure they require oilers, since they have no way of storing oil internally.

I just looked up jags that run and found a vss for 87-92 for $88. It looks like it's pretty simple. Attaches to the speedo cable and plugs into the harness. They also talk about grounding the harness and bypassing the vss. But for 88 bucks if it helps fuel economy i'm all for it. Also looked up fuelinjection.com. Looks like their setup would be a little simpler than howell or painless. They can eliminate all the smog stuff, egr, etc. I don't have smog here in NH so it's not a concern. So I could run some blockhuggers or rams horns and get rid of the egr and simplify it a bit more. The more I read, the simpler this seems. Now I just need the money and it to be winter so I'm not driving the cruiser. Hopefully this winter, maybe next.

I run a 93' TBI 350 in my 55, SM465 tranny. This trick for me was using the VIN number from a 92' 1-ton Chevy with manual tranny, no ac, pretty simple. I used the VIN and ordered the PROM from GM (discounted to 60$ by my brother). No codes, runs great. I also run the JTR VSS converter to change the pulse. I get a code without it. I really recommend the swap, the JTR book, and a slow examination of the wiring harness.

Wayneraintree said:
I run a 93' TBI 350 in my 55, SM465 tranny. This trick for me was using the VIN number from a 92' 1-ton Chevy with manual tranny, no ac, pretty simple. I used the VIN and ordered the PROM from GM (discounted to 60$ by my brother). No codes, runs great. I also run the JTR VSS converter to change the pulse. I get a code without it. I really recommend the swap, the JTR book, and a slow examination of the wiring harness.

So basically all I need to do is buy a harness and get a chip for a manual tranny pre-93 truck and I can use my existing computer. That would be sweet. Of course I might want to have one of the harness companies make me a chip for no emissions and such.

ken_79-fj40 said:
Theo,
Both advance adapters and downey claim the 93-newer motors have to stay with the same transmission. Apparently the newer ones use a 40 pulse vss instead of a 2 pulse.
Pretty sure GM used the 700r (4L60) in '93 passenger cars. The 40-pulse 4L60E was in 93-up trucks and 94-up cars. I just happen to be using a Caprice engine, so maybe I got lucky for once. I'll know for sure in a few days! Thanks,
theo

ken_79-fj40 said:
So basically all I need to do is buy a harness and get a chip for a manual tranny pre-93 truck and I can use my existing computer. That would be sweet. Of course I might want to have one of the harness companies make me a chip for no emissions and such.

The ECM is the device, the PROM is the brain. There should be no issues in using the stock harness if you make a list of keeps and not-keeps.... tech on this site it very helpful... thanks to Brain, Butch, and others..

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/tbi350.php

Wayneraintree said:
The ECM is the device, the PROM is the brain. There should be no issues in using the stock harness if you make a list of keeps and not-keeps.... tech on this site it very helpful... thanks to Brain, Butch, and others..

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/tbi350.php

True, but the rig I pulled the motor from was hit in the passenger side A pillar. T-boned by a car doing 60. The harness wasn't coming out of there. So I chopped it to get the motor out. If I do wind up going this route I would rather have a new, unmolested harness anyway. I helped a buddy rework a tpi harness years ago going into a minitruck. The painless/howell/fuelinjection harnesses are so much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom