Some Advice In Buying/Shopping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I really like my 3rd gen 4runner, but I'm somewhat in the market for an 80. I keep an eye peeled on all of the usual classified sites near me (facebook, CL, Offerup..) and it's rare to even see one come up for sale. Even moreso for it not to be priced in the stratosphere. I'm not afraid of a project, but a complete rebuild is not something I'm really after. I should say that I live in the rust belt, so some rust is a given, and frame damage is more common than not. It took me months of hunting to find a 4Runner that had a solid, filmed frame for example. Anyway I found the following vehicle priced at: "throw me an offer", and I'd like to pick your guys' brains about it.

Specs:
190,000(miles)

Known issues:
The rust (pictured) is pretty ridiculous even for here, but the two pics of the frame and suspension that I've seen actually look decent (also pictured).
The truck likes to die at idle. It apparently needs to have the gas leaned on at red lights or it dies.
Rear locker works, front does not engage
Drivers seat is trashed, truck is overall full of debris and may or may not come clean.
Judging by the condition of it, I'd say that every maintenance item probably needs to be done.

I'm certainly not hell bent on buying this truck, but it's only 50 or 60 minutes from my house and I may go have a look. I'm sure most of you are connoisseurs, but I should mention that I'm one of those guys who really likes Monstaliner and would probably spray it tan, green, or dark blue at some point regardless of the paint condition after I finished the body work. Basically I'm expecting a resounding "don't buy this" but if i was to go look and toss a price out, what do you all think would be fair?

179546577_549870389337703_8142786239657280418_n.jpg
180127924_297904165247214_1141649879708636027_n.jpg
183557782_581054392870284_9115049879320573673_n.jpg
185764439_221383816071470_3233441974014227784_n.jpg
183816043_753520298676243_6593388948379368301_n.jpg
185149267_466682287898624_8431195283425426194_n.jpg
180726076_230015828919829_1961298191216842793_n.jpg
179290108_836422873637138_8219846232161076467_n.jpg

If you have space and want to use this as a parts rig for a rust free example that needs a drivetrain or similar it could be a decent strategy. You could find a non-running, non-locked 80 down South for fairly low cost and then combine the two, provided that the axles on this one aren't too rusted to be serviced. I can't see putting much time/effort into that particular 80 given the extent of the rust, it's just not going to make sense short of making it run so that you can destroy it in the woods over a short period of time off-roading.

If the axles are in useable cond., regarding rust, locked axles with computer/switch/etc. often sell for $2k or more. There are likely other parts of value there as well, rust dependent. All that said, pulling/selling the parts and disposing of the rest is a lot of work so I'd be looking to pay a lot less than the easy parts values to cover my costs.

You'll have to really inspect everything and then do the math for yourself but I'd be in the $500 range on that 80 and expect that it would be for parts resell or to combine with another project rig that was rust free. Be sure to consider costs of towing these things around, storage, new parts, etc. It all adds up.

Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. That body will never live again unless you have a ton of time and talent. Maybe a candidate for a body swap?

I'd recommend you shop further south out of the rust belt and buy a one-way ticket to pick up a truck.

Or just stick with your 3rd gen 4runner. That is, by far, the sensible option :eek:

If you have space and want to use this as a parts rig for a rust free example that needs a drivetrain or similar it could be a decent strategy. You could find a non-running, non-locked 80 down South for fairly low cost and then combine the two, provided that the axles on this one aren't too rusted to be serviced. I can't see putting much time/effort into that particular 80 given the extent of the rust, it's just not going to make sense short of making it run so that you can destroy it in the woods over a short period of time off-roading.

If the axles are in useable cond., regarding rust, locked axles with computer/switch/etc. often sell for $2k or more. There are likely other parts of value there as well, rust dependent. All that said, pulling/selling the parts and disposing of the rest is a lot of work so I'd be looking to pay a lot less than the easy parts values to cover my costs.

You'll have to really inspect everything and then do the math for yourself but I'd be in the $500 range on that 80 and expect that it would be for parts resell or to combine with another project rig that was rust free. Be sure to consider costs of towing these things around, storage, new parts, etc. It all adds up.
Thank you, pretty much exactly what I thought. The only reason I even inquired is because it's literally the only one for sale within 75 or 100 miles from my house, and I don't really have the spare time to galavant across country. I'm looking for something fun to do over the summer, so tearing it a part and having people come to my house to bs about pieces is out. I'll probably politely decline his invitation to come check it out because I know for a fact that he paid $1800 for it at some point and I'd guess he probably wants something in that range.

Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. That body will never live again unless you have a ton of time and talent. Maybe a candidate for a body swap?

I'd recommend you shop further south out of the rust belt and buy a one-way ticket to pick up a truck.

Or just stick with your 3rd gen 4runner. That is, by far, the sensible option :eek:
Thanks for the input. It's what I expected, but I figured it'd be worth asking. Maybe the "gas shortage" will force some people to sell theirs.

No it'll just make them park it and not drive

If you guys still have classifieds in the local paper keep an eye on those. That's where I found mine and got lucky because I don't think many people even get the paper around here anymore

With no pictures under the hood, I’d assume more of the same condition exists there. Baselining a truck like this is often starting from scratch, requiring going through every system. It would take throwing a lot of cash at the project you’d likely never see again. With so much body and frame damage, recouping your investment is unlikely. I’d walk away from this one and find something out of your area without holes.

Last edited:
But it's got a Magic Dial!!!!!!!

Its worth more than $500 as a parts rig if you have a place for it. I would say $1000 and you would be fine. Lots of expensive parts there. Even if the axles are rusted beyond repair, the locking 3rds are worth more than $1000 my themselves . Wiring harness is unobtainium and fend flares are bringing crazy money. Parting it out is the only direction id go with it though.

$500 to $1000, bring it home and part it out or throw a different body on the frame.

Looks like a prime soup kitchen for Dirty Mike and The Boys and not much else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom