Sombrero vs Toyota grille (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ATL Cruiser

GOLD Star
Threads
I currently have the sombrero style grille on my 1992 HZJ77. I'd like to swap it out for the TOYOTA wording grille.

The TOYOTA grille does not fit, since the side legs are longer and my corner lights are newer style. I like the new style, since they are clear and not amber orange colored.

Does a short leg TOYOTA grille exist? If not, how about old style yet CLEAR corner lights?

1665073104613.png

1665073120926.png

What part number is the new grille?

For the newer indicators (used between 2000 and 2007) there aren’t any Toyota-wording grilles, just black and chrome versions of the one you have.

I believe there are JDM clear indicators in the older style but those are not OEM.

The grille is correct for the vehicle. You will need to put the correct original turn signal lamp assemblies back on the truck. None of those had chrome housings and there never was a factory all-clear lens option. Any all-clear lenses you may encounter will be aftermarket knock-offs.

Oh, that grille may not clear your after market intercooler. You may want to test-fit it if you haven't already done so.

This is the style lamp you need.
20221006_144722.jpg

Hello,

After 1999, the grill became shorter to make room for the indicators.

Toyota dropped the TOYOTA emblem on the front grill in mid 1995, and replaced it with the three ovals logo. Colombia-spec 73 Series kept the TOYOTA emblem until around 1997.

Pre-1999 grills were longer because indicators were shorter.

All the clear lens indicators I have found have been aftermarket.

Post-1999 grills have a little more clearance with the radiator.

If you want TOYOTA in the grill with the setup you have, you may have to do some cutting and/or modification.

Juan

All the clear lens indicators I have found have been aftermarket.

Thank you, @JuanJ. I have not found these clear aftermarket lenses anywhere. Where did you see these?

Thank you, @JuanJ. I have not found these clear aftermarket lenses anywhere. Where did you see these?

Hello,

I have seen them on eBay every now and then. A local vendor had them for a while as well.

The ones I could examine (local vendor) were made in Taiwan. They became tarnished over time.

I guess polishing can remove the tarnishing.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom