[SOLVED] Stuttering idle with VIDEO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lumbee1

Native American
Threads
I've recently picked up a strange stutter during idle. It happens randomly and can sometimes last seconds (like in the video) and sometimes up to a minute.

The video was captured while I was sitting at an intersection waiting for the light. Before I started recording, the truck was idling at 650rpm. The AC was not on and my foot remained on the brake the whole time. I continue to drive the truck and didn't experience the stutter the rest of the day. Ambient temperature was about 85 degrees.
FZJ80 stuttering at idle

Maintenance:
  • Hours before posting the video, I replaced the PCV and grommet. The stuttering was happening before the PCV change and I changed the PCV thinking to much oil was getting into the TB.
  • I cleaned the throttle body and IAC when I replaced the TPS earlier this year. The TPS was causing surging idle. TPS has been calibrated to spec and verified to be in spec a week ago.
  • Intake tube doesn't get moved that often and was new 5 years ago. I have not inspected for cracks.
  • Belts are 5 years old (40,000 miles) and were properly tensioned a few months ago.
  • New plugs and wires were installed earlier this year.
  • Air filter thoroughly cleaned in July.

The Cruiser drove from NC to the Grand Canyon and back in July (4660 miles) and a 10 hr expedition ride in August. I first noticed the stuttering coming home from the expedition trip.

Oddly enough, when I uploaded the video to Youtube, there were suggestions for other videos with the same problem. None of them posted if or how the issue was fixed.

to me that doesn't look vacuum related. Looks more electrical. Almost like the surge on older cars when you push all 4 up window buttons at the same time and the power draw makes the revs dip.

It's out of frame in the video, but is your voltage gauge moving at all when you get those rpm dips?

to me that doesn't look vacuum related. Looks more electrical. Almost like the surge on older cars when you push all 4 up window buttons at the same time and the power draw makes the revs dip.

It's out of frame in the video, but is your voltage gauge moving at all when you get those rpm dips?
Nope. Nothing else changes. I agree that it could be electrical.

Check your wiring harness by the EGR and under the dash on the passenger side.

Check your wiring harness by the EGR and under the dash on the passenger side.
Is there anything in particular I should be looking for. I know that the wiring degradation is a common issue.

The 95-97 have the wiring harness that gets too close to the EGR pipe by the back of the block. It frequently overheats the harness and melts wires, causing injector wires to short out or others to cause the fusible links to pop.

You may actually have to remove tape and plastic covering to determine if the actual wiring insulation was compromised. Sometimes, wiggling or moving the harness in that area makes it much more obvious.

The 95-97 have the wiring harness that gets too close to the EGR pipe by the back of the block. It frequently overheats the harness and melts wires, causing injector wires to short out or others to cause the fusible links to pop.

You may actually have to remove tape and plastic covering to determine if the actual wiring insulation was compromised. Sometimes, wiggling or moving the harness in that area makes it much more obvious.
Interesting. I recently removed the EGR and capped the ports.

April 30th
18160884_199755400534445_4152592780859801600_n.jpg

Well, the stuttering went from random like in the video to skipping while driving. A few miles after that, the throttle was erratic but this time the truck threw a code, P0120 throttle position sensor. I picked up a Toyota TPS for $95 from the local dealer and installed it. TPS was calibrated to 11% per OBD2. The Cruiser idles smooth and the only difference I've noticed is that it hunts for gears at 62mph instead of the previous 55mph. No big deal.

BTW, I installed a rockauto TPS last year. $72 down the drain. The rockauto TPS replaced the original 20 year old Toyota TPS.

Like the saying “do it right, and only do it once”....... nothing but Original Equip. Glad you got it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom