SOLVED: REAL TIME HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

atnolan94

I'm Your Huckleberry
Threads
Im installing some ironman torsion bars and cant get the splines on the frame side to come out of the bracket. The t bar bracket on the LCA is completely free. I’m trying to hammer it off to no avail. Tons of liquid wrench and no luck.

Any tips?

Im installing some ironman torsion bars and cant get the splines on the frame side to come out of the bracket. The t bar bracket on the LCA is completely free. I’m trying to hammer it off to no avail. Tons of liquid wrench and no luck.

Any tips?

Heat?

I’ll break out the torch and sledge to my hearts content!!

Heat is the undefeated campion!

76D2FB10-D07C-45F2-B4F6-9A1E199E487D.jpeg
+1 for heat.

I have no experience with anything other than a propane torch, but am very interested in moving up to an oxy setup. Can't quite get past worrying about intense heat near gas and rubber things... I tend to break things more prior to actually effecting repairs. Any sage words of advice as to what/where you can and can't use a torch?

I just use propane torches for stuff like this. Just enough to heat the surfaces.

Oxy Acetylene torches are designed to cut, a lot of firepower. Scares me using one on a splined part like this.

Yeah that’s what I’m getting at, enough to help me get the splines to slide without damaging the parts.

I just use propane torches for stuff like this. Just enough to heat the surfaces.

Oxy Acetylene torches are designed to cut, a lot of firepower. Scares me using one on a splined part like this.

Actually Oxy Acetylene torches come in two flavors, welding torches and cutting torches.
The welding torch is used for heating and welding, it generates a lot of heat, so have to be careful in using them to loosen parts.
A propane or an acetylene air torch is more manageable for heating to loosen stuck parts.

I'm aware that there's definitely a learning curve to using oxy/acetylene equipment. The two experienced mechanics I've spent a lot of time with are masters with them and have, on several occasions, said that propane torches are better than nothing but don't always do the job. I've also been told that in some ways, assuming they're used correctly, o/a torches can be safer because they heat up so much faster, keeping the heat more localized to just the area you want it, creating a greater temp differential and helping things break apart faster. Does that make sense?
Just wondering... stick/mig/tig welding and o/a torches are both on my short list of skills and equipment I'd LOVE to acquire, on a budget. Reading on the internet isn't quite giving me enough confidence to take the plunge, however, and go out to the garage w/ some newly purchased toys and burn my house down. Tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom