Solved: Electrical help - 4wd wont engage after H55F swap on FJ62 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you shift into low gear the front driveshaft should engage regardless of 4Hi, the light, or the hubs.
Ruh-roh scooby.
I'll go retest.

This is true on a vacuum shift case FJ62 but because of the electrical logic, not mechanical. Simply unplugging one of the electrical connectors on the T-case can prevent this from happening. It’s how I did 2-low when my FJ62 was more stock way back in the day.

This is true on a vacuum shift case FJ62 but because of the electrical logic, not mechanical. Simply unplugging one of the electrical connectors on the T-case can prevent this from happening. It’s how I did 2-low when my FJ62 was more stock way back in the day.
Thank you @cruisermatt
I hopped under the rig to pull off the large hoses from the transfer case vacuum ports. When I looked up I saw a small vacuum line dangling from below the solenoids along the firewall. Good chance my issue lies there.
I'll test it all tonight since I ran out on a break from work when I found this issue.

@cruisermatt - you've helped quite a bit not just in this thread but on many others. We are lucky to have people like you out there on the forum.

4WD ACTIVE NOW!!!
The hidden vacuum line did the trick!
I still have some wiring to do in order to get the 4WD light to turn on but it's operational.

I did lean something new however - it appears that on the H55 you are supposed to put the clutch in before hitting the "shift on the fly" 4WD button? It buzzed/grided when I tried to engage. I immediately disengaged, put in the clutch and no buzz/grid.
I subsequently engaged multiple more times without issue with the clutch depressed.

Thank you all for your comments. and assistance. I'll get the wiring and lights thing sorted this weekend.

4WD ACTIVE NOW!!!
The hidden vacuum line did the trick!
I still have some wiring to do in order to get the 4WD light to turn on but it's operational.

I did lean something new however - it appears that on the H55 you are supposed to put the clutch in before hitting the "shift on the fly" 4WD button? It buzzed/grided when I tried to engage. I immediately disengaged, put in the clutch and no buzz/grid.
I subsequently engaged multiple more times without issue with the clutch depressed.

Thank you all for your comments. and assistance. I'll get the wiring and lights thing sorted this weekend.

Both the 4wd and Low range selector work the same way a manual transmission does but neither have synchronizer rings. So yes, be at a stop or clutch in, really best to do both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom