Solution for early glass fuel filter without connections (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

upperblack

SILVER Star
Threads
My 64 FJ40 FST did not come with the correct glass bowl fuel filter or even the correct metal fuel line connections to put one on.
This has always bothered me and I wanted to correct the goofy looking napa one zip tied to the fuel filter bracket.
What I wanted to do was to find a barb that would screw into the correct fuel filter housing so I could attached regular soft fuel line to it.
The fuel filter housing has a very bizarre thread pitch. After a lot of research it looks like the correct pitch is 1/8" BSPT.
I ordered the ones below on Amazon - they took a while to come in. I installed them today with some gas approved Teflon tape and after an hour of so of running it, no leaks. I’ll keep an eye on it it but so far it’s working.
Hope this helps others as it took me forever to find a solution:
53C80456-CE36-4F67-927B-F0D2C76406BF.jpeg
DB23578E-8F66-44EA-90B4-974F479A5C71.jpeg

new barb compared to the fitting that comes on a metal or glass bowl early fuel filter housing

3E9320B5-CEF6-4392-95B7-AABFF4FAC220.jpeg
4C911C55-E844-4D93-B1EF-B1209661AA24.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: flx
My 64 FJ40 FST did not come with the correct glass bowl fuel filter or even the correct metal fuel line connections to put one on.
This has always bothered me and I wanted to correct the goofy looking napa one zip tied to the fuel filter bracket.
What I wanted to do was to find a barb that would screw into the correct fuel filter housing so I could attached regular soft fuel line to it.
The fuel filter housing has a very bizarre thread pitch. After a lot of research it looks like the correct pitch is 1/8" BSPT.
I ordered the ones below on Amazon - they took a while to come in. I installed them today with some gas approved Teflon tape and after an hour of so of running it, no leaks. I’ll keep an eye on it it but so far it’s working.
Hope this helps others as it took me forever to find a solution:
View attachment 2540772View attachment 2540773

new barb compared to the fitting that comes on a metal or glass bowl early fuel filter housing

View attachment 2540774View attachment 2540775

i have all the propper hardware , compression nuts and ferrells if you need them

please send me a PM

thanks

i have all the propper hardware , compression nuts and ferrells if you need them

please send me a PM

thanks
Matt,

What kind of hose/tube is used with these compression nuts & ferrules to make it look "factory"? My 69 has the yellow rock solid OEM fuel line coming out of frame rail that would go to this filter, but its' been bypassed by a PO. I have, actually, I HAD the short little piece that goes from the filter to the pump, but ruined it trying to take apart the fittings to see what the heck was going on there. I'm inclined to follow the lead of the OP here and go with barbs and rubber hose, but curious what you offer to make things look more original.

Best,
Evan

@ToyotaMatt

He has the olive and compression fittings. BTW no one in the world seems to have the 1/8 bspt to 5/16 barb fittings. Redlinelandcruisers has repro'd the clear lines with fittings.

@ToyotaMatt

He has the olive and compression fittings. BTW no one in the world seems to have the 1/8 bspt to 5/16 barb fittings. Redlinelandcruisers has repro'd the clear lines with fittings.
I've got the olives and nuts for the hard line fuel pipe, I'm assuming it's the same?

I just looked at mcmaster carr, and you're right, no 1/8" x 5/16 barb adapters. First time I've ever seen mcmaster with an item not in stock.

I've got the olives and nuts for the hard line fuel pipe, I'm assuming it's the same?

I just looked at mcmaster carr, and you're right, no 1/8" x 5/16 barb adapters. First time I've ever seen mcmaster with an item not in stock.
Yep, I made my own fuel line from carb to pump out of 3/16 zinc fuel/trans/brake line using the fitting from @ToyotaMatt .

I've had an order with Mcmaster for over a year, they just cancelled it this week for the fittings with no "return to stock" date projected due to supply chain disruptions. I did find them Ebay but it was bulk order and $$. I passed. I ended up trying a turbo shop, bought the last 2 this week they had. BTW, a bsp fitting will work with bspt but requires sealant (teflon tape).

@ToyotaMatt

This is what I was trying to find, thank you. Probably end up going the cheap route though and using a different fuel filter that can accept rubber fuel hose.

Yep, I made my own fuel line from carb to pump out of 3/16 zinc fuel/trans/brake line using the fitting from @ToyotaMatt .

I've had an order with Mcmaster for over a year, they just cancelled it this week for the fittings with no "return to stock" date projected due to supply chain disruptions. I did find them Ebay but it was bulk order and $$. I passed. I ended up trying a turbo shop, bought the last 2 this week they had. BTW, a bsp fitting will work with bspt but requires sealant (teflon tape).

This is what I was trying to find, thank you. Probably end up going the cheap route though and using a different fuel filter that can accept rubber fuel hose.

- NO Mcmaster carr here Son ............ :rolleyes:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" this is the way ............... "

- u need to source 5/16" / 8mm CNUI Copper Nickle alloy brake line in a straight 5 foot stick at your local ADVANCE AUTP PARTS

- DO NOT use a coil roll of it this will give poor poor azz results

- straight stick is simply
" the way "

9E0B581E-B3FB-4244-9822-350827E1B853.jpeg
23149C7B-1D4D-4BF5-ADAD-B42C6AD3ACF5.jpeg
3253787F-6305-4557-A89F-4FC8D206E714.jpeg
DSCN2285_2048x.jpg
DSCN2286_2048x.jpg
DSCN2288_2048x.jpg
DSCN9008 (2).png
FECF34C5-D873-4F2F-9FD4-350CDD273955.jpeg

very simple solution @ToyotaMatt!! Especially since I have all that stuff laying around or know where to get it ;) I always seam to over complicate "it" the 1st time around

your good ,

we all over think stuff 1st Rodeo , imagine Reproducing a complex part and worrying about it if its gonna meet everyone's intended needs or

NOT globally ?

now that;s intense sh#T There brother ! :rolleyes:

take for example this :

i have way way over 100+ hours of over thinking into it , but IF that is what it takes to Achieve Teq Factory focus point mind set approach perfection ?

im good with that and accept it as normal in my JIS world .........

:D

- i guess now is a good time as any ?

- ANYONE READING THIS THREADPOST and Mentions it to me VIA MUD PM , WILL get a 15% OFF Coupon code towards this PART Below !

- BRING your F , F1.5 on ............. :cool:

1644291271704.png

1644291292031.png

1644291309274.png

1644291319646.png

1644291337528.png

1644291367370.png

- NO Mcmaster carr here Son ............ :rolleyes:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" this is the way ............... "

- u need to source 5/16" / 8mm CNUI Copper Nickle alloy brake line in a straight 5 foot stick at your local ADVANCE AUTP PARTS

- DO NOT use a coil roll of it this will give poor poor azz results

- straight stick is simply
" the way "

View attachment 2918002View attachment 2918003View attachment 2918004View attachment 2918005View attachment 2918006View attachment 2918007View attachment 2918008View attachment 2918009
Gotcha Matt. Are you flaring the ends of those homemade nipples? Or just relying in those clamps? That looks very clean, as always!

Gotcha Matt. Are you flaring the ends of those homemade nipples? Or just relying in those clamps? That looks very clean, as always!

is that question a dare Evan ? 🤔

note : same exact same in kind Hand Swedged BEAD on Fuel Pump and GLASS Sediment Bowl Compressions fittings .......

it would be EXTREEMY DANGERIOUS NOT to have the anti pull off Bead lock feature , this is a fact !

Always 100% Hand Made with Pride using the Traditional TOYOTA WAY , in-house at the SKUNK WORKS Laboratory by me personally ......... :D

1644300591725.png

3404112L1.jpg

(.22).png

Just found these in Reno...

Not stock (or fancy) but neither is my fuel line, at least I won't have a plastic fuel filter!

View attachment 2918980

the 1 problem or concern with using a DOUBLR BARBS type fitting is these are 1 time use hose fittings

this translates into you cannon simply loosen up the clamp and pull or wiggle off the hose

the sharp and very lack luster SAE DETROIT Garbage engineering that dreamed these up was back in the hey day of HOLLY carburetors and Ghetto 1 time life span

muscle cars that never got a second chance to live and breath HORSE power ever again ..........:confused:

this is a OEM Toyota fuel pump fitting off a SIAMESE F its smooth BEAD or CONCAVE barb if you will is designed to be indeed serviced in the field and simply CAN't cut

rip or tear the soft fuel EPDM rubber hose

the crap double BARBS SAE above will absolutely CUT like a RAZOR blade any Toyota fuel hose installed period

now you know

and knowledge is full power :D

see here below :

my only NOS OEM specimen i have in my reference and JIGS kits :

4C917856-9B9F-41FB-A27F-EF541FFAEAE7.jpeg
FA804594-4215-4088-8572-912A109401B0.jpeg
7C858EED-F677-47F5-801C-5CBF9569A166.jpeg
B0BEB103-7EC1-490B-A65D-757CD8C7441F.jpeg
26F53F77-BD6F-49D4-A7C5-012534790377.jpeg

@ToyotaMatt 👍, I see your point. For sure not for a factory correct vehicle.

Might require minor mods which is consistent with what I am working on, will report back.

Here's another option I considered to replace the glass filter....It's Toyota parts!

Probably run this for the break in of the project.

🙂

PXL_20220209_040402854.jpg

@ToyotaMatt 👍, I see your point. For sure not for a factory correct vehicle.

Might require minor mods which is consistent with what I am working on, will report back.

Here's another option I considered to replace the glass filter....It's Toyota parts!

Probably run this for the break in of the project.

🙂

View attachment 2919057

that filter is the short and stubby first gen translucent NYLON version 23300-36020 now NLA / Disc.

it was replaced , updated , and superseded by the revised TALLER higher capacity and 45% more Filter Media surface area then the 36020

introducing the : ...........

DSCN0677.JPG

DSCN0678 - Copy.JPG

DSCN0676 - Copy.JPG

image11111111111 - Copy.jpeg

20200829_104024.jpg

DSCN2870.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom