Solo Stove or Bree Fire Pit for cooking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone thought of toting one of these things around to cook on? I mean it looks like it would work in camp..but we all know those marketing folks have a job to do. TIA

This was the Solo Stove I was looking at:

I guess Breeo makes something similar:

No smoke and the fire is contained...could be useful out west!

The one solo stove I was around I wouldn’t want to cook on. Not sure if it was because it was newer or something else but it was fumey. To the point even my girlfriend noticed it and was turned away from it.

The one solo stove I was around I wouldn’t want to cook on. Not sure if it was because it was newer or something else but it was fumey. To the point even my girlfriend noticed it and was turned away from it.
That is just the kind of info I need! Much obliged.

I have the Solo Stove Bonfire and Campfire models and have had no problem slapping a grill grate on them for cooking. A pair of pliers will be your friend for that. I have never noticed any off-putting fumes like @clrussell mentioned, and that's with probably 200 uses of these stoves with twigs, branches, split logs, briquettes, clean lumber, etc (though not all of them cooking). I'm not saying that he's wrong, only that it hasn't been my experience; different people are sensitive to different things.

The Campfire model is quite small, so it's best for high temp cooking, and obviously small portions. It also works great with a heavy skillet or boiling a pot of water. It comes with a ring that is the pot holder. Remove it to use a grill grate on top. You'll get tired of cutting branches into small enough pieces (think making charcoal briquettes) to prevent having to feed it faster-burning twigs constantly.

The Bonfire has the advantage of space, allowing you to build the fire like you would in a grill (2 zone) and move the grate around to control flare ups and heat. It's obviously a different game to use a skillet or pot than the Campfire is, but that might be what you need depending on what you cook. My biggest gripe is grease dripping into the bottom because it'll stay there in your ash below the perforations until you have a large enough fire again to burn it all out. Not a huge deal, but something to consider.

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_8890.jpg

60919857942__CE5478F1-7F89-4E35-AE21-039838EAC3ED.jpg

IMG_7621.jpg

IMG_7632.jpg

Another option that I use is the Oklahoma Joe Halftime XL chimney starter with a grill grate over it. It's a lot cheaper than a dedicated stove and does double duty as...you guessed it...a charcoal chimney starter for use at home or camp! Again, it's great for grilling or skillet/pot use.

@JohnVee i think my experience was abnormal, I’ve talked to some Other people that have used them and they didn’t have the issue. The one I was around was brand new, and I don’t know where or what wood was sourced. Or what else had been put in it.

I do like them, however for the money I’ve always been skeptical because of my one experience with one.

Much obliged friends! I could care less about having it for bonfires, but if it cooks efficiently that is what I am after.

Much obliged friends! I could care less about having it for bonfires, but if it cooks efficiently that is what I am after.
A small grill like a Weber Smokey Jr is great. Under $50. I'd suggest trying an inexpensive grill or two before spending $$$ on something where cooking is an afterthought. But, keep us posted.

A small grill like a Weber Smokey Jr is great. Under $50. I'd suggest trying an inexpensive grill or two before spending $$$ on something where cooking is an afterthought. But, keep us posted.
I like the idea of using twigs or whatever is to be found in remote areas to cook with...that would be handy for 2 weeks in the backcountry. Nothing against Weber as those little bastards work well..lol

Hey, just get and old washing machine tub, and an old grate.
Weld up the hole in the bottom. Weld up a small stand to get it up off the ground.
Bonfire/warming fire, lay the grate across it and cook.
Note have a couple of fires in it before cooking to burn off any old residue.

Boom Done for very few bucks.

Another option that I use is the Oklahoma Joe Halftime XL chimney starter with a grill grate over it. It's a lot cheaper than a dedicated stove and does double duty as...you guessed it...a charcoal chimney starter for use at home or camp! Again, it's great for grilling or skillet/pot use.

This is the answer. Any local big box home improvement or hardware store has these in stock. The solo stove is not nearly as convenient to get going as one of these charcoal starter deals.

Cheaper smaller option.

Last edited:
The wife and I bought a Solo Stove Bonfire last summer after finishing our patio. We really like it. I wouldn't pack it up and take it camping unless I was traveling in an area with some sort of burn restrictions that using the stove would satisfy. As a family of 5 space is a premium for us and the stove would take up a lot of room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom