SAS Solid Axle Summit #4 Official Thread 2020 (3 Viewers)

SAS #4 Color Choices

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

would anyone that normally is in the big convoy from Casey's be interested in a run up the Blanca Peak trail? It's just outside Alamosa. I did it solo in August before SAS and it took me about 4 hours to get to Lake Como and about and hour and a half to get back down. Lake Como would make an incredible camp site. I didn't make it all the way to the very top, lake Blanca but i would like to try.

It's difficult compared to the trails in Ouray but nothing like the videos we've been posting on the last page. However there are several very steep dropoffs and cliffs that can be scary, and one or two obstacles that are alongside said dropoffs.
I would not recommend driving this trail if you do are not experienced wheeling. There are no turnarounds or bypasses.
With that being said anyone could leave their rig at the base and hike/ride along with their gear assuming there's room.

I'm thinking if the convoy leaves from Amarillo early in the morning to get to the trailhead at around noon (it is about a 5-6 hour drive, just get off at 160 instead of going all the way to Salida), that should be enough time to make it to the top with time to set up camp. Camp that night, head down in the morning. Head west towards South Fork and take Engineer Pass as a shortcut over the mountain to Ouray. I would expect that to take a whole day.

Thoughts? I would probably want to cap the # of rigs doing the Blanca Peak trail to about 4-5 max for safety and less chance of issues.

you do pass through Buena Vista going to Ouray, right? That's where Carnage and Chinaman is.

Some pictures i took from Lake Como. This would be a amazing place to camp. And one picture of where I had to pull cable because there was a fresh rock slide over the trail

IMG_2952.JPG
119512679_2021124598023319_1527180582360550043_o.jpg
119659320_2021125411356571_2881364256061970811_o.jpg
119702114_2021124574689988_5030925635728444479_o.jpg

you do pass through Buena Vista going to Ouray, right? That's where Carnage and Chinaman is.

Not really, but i dont think it matters much as both those trails probably take a full day. I would probably just find a Air BnB or something in Buena Vista and spend a few days and do Holy Cross, Chinamen and whatever else is around there. Carnage Canyon looks like kind of a joke in a full size wagon, as do pretty much all the rock crawling trails in Montrose but the idea with those were that they were super close to Ouray

Not really, but i dont think it matters much as both those trails probably take a full day. I would probably just find a Air BnB or something in Buena Vista and spend a few days and do Holy Cross, Chinamen and whatever else is around there. Carnage Canyon looks like kind of a joke in a full size wagon, as do pretty much all the rock crawling trails in Montrose but the idea with those were that they were super close to Ouray

True. Which route do the Amrilillo guys take up?

Did they ever finish that article on SAS yet? Don't know if I just missed it.

Huge assumption here, but if my "junk pile" as she's been called is assumed to be ready for Katemcy then some of these other trails are definitely in scope for us, @cruisermatt.

Jerod, save those rockers and quarters if they don’t have any rust. If they are rust free and you want to sell them I’d be glad to work something out with you. Jimmy

Jerod, save those rockers and quarters if they don’t have any rust. If they are rust free and you want to sell them I’d be glad to work something out with you. Jimmy
I wouldn't sell them because there is some rust in them. We found that out taking everything out. We decided that we are going to turn it into a 60 truck. We got a frame with a running 3FE drive train (we stripped a good AZ 62 for parts). We will use it for bombing the trails here.

Yep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom