SAS Solid Axle Summit #4 Official Thread 2020 (1 Viewer)

SAS #4 Color Choices

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@John McVicker i obviously do not know your itinerary but for me to beat the heat comming from Tucson I am leaving really early in the am. Little inconvenience becuase it makes for a long day but triple digit temps are not fun to drive in let alone have rig issues to fix in that heat.

^^^

Gotcha, and yep going to leave right at 5am. Now that I have re-evaluated, I’m thinking the northern route will be best.

Last year I had ‘just’ put my engine back together and I wanted to go a more traveled route...just in case. Although I had zero problems last year, I now have even more confidence in the engine now that it has another year under its belt.

Or just go through Missouri? We have this, AND the humidity to match it! (Ok it was in the sun, but it was still plenty hot!)
20200711_151211.jpg

Doesn’t really mean much because things can rapidly change...but just as an FYI:

Today I called our SAS Koa to confirm our reservations. All good and I asked about any social distancing or other restrictions, their quote was ‘no restrictions of any kind’.

I asked if he expected anything in the future, he said no...but that was completely out of his hands and up to ‘them’.

So...so far so good. Getting my stuff ready.👍🎯🇺🇸

It looks like from reading the ouray county plaindealer that the county issued a mask ordinance for any indoor or outdoor area that runs through Aug 1 as of now.

It looks like from reading the ouray county plaindealer that the county issued a mask ordinance for any indoor or outdoor area that runs through Aug 1 as of now.
Not a deal-breaker, and actually is reassuring.

We have been watching this and I am corresponding with the Ouray Health Department on a regular basis.
As of this post, masks will be required while in any part of the area. Public as well as on the trails when you are within 6 feet of other people. These are not our rules, these are state mandates. From the reports I am getting a mask on the trail may be welcome. I hear it is extremely dusty.
So "when in Rome do as the Romans do" is what I will be doing personally. It's a strange world right now, I will do what is required within reason to get the show on the road.
This is these people's home and I will respect it the same as if I was in your home.

Another thing to consider while traveling is the state of New Mexico. Reports are people traveling with out of state plates are being stopped and checked. The Texas group I will be leading this year will take a more northern route avoiding NM entirely. We usually go through AngleFire and cross the Rio Grande Gorge bridge on our way to Monte Vista for the night. I dislike it but will do that to get to Ouray.

Stay safe folks and I will keep you all up to date as I receive info.

Casey..

At some point, and maybe still now, Utah required people entering the state to go online and fill out a form within three hours of entering the state. Information required include(s)(d) contact information, health survey, places recently visited, etc. If you were traveling through a part of the state and wouldn't be in Utah for at least three hours I don't think it applied.

I haven't heard of New Mexico stopping cars, but the state does take similar information and enforces a mandatory 14-day quarantine, or for the duration of the stay, if less than 14 days. The latest order requires places of lodging to take information from out-of-state visitors and notify them of the mandatory quarantine. And information is also collected from anyone arriving by plane, including New Mexico residents - law enforcement is following up to ensure the 14-day quarantine.

I can tell you for a fact no one is getting stopped in Pagosa Springs for out of state plate. Sure there is a small number of people who don't welcome the traffic from out of state people, but for the rest of us, you are the lifeblood of many of these small towns. I fly back to Colorado the week before SAS, I will let you know if I hear anything about quarantine, or anyone getting stopped. But I have been traveling for work this entire time and I have never had any problems. Local enforcement will not side with the state as long as you are being respectful of others.

Like Casey said, its dusty. You might want a buff anyways.

Any 40 owners need a rear mat? If so, I can bring a couple (2 extras) of the below with me.
1594608451329.png

1594608496173.png

Note, these are actual Toyota truck bed mats I cut to size, so they are heavy duty.

Send me a PM to get it sized.

Tossed on a new winch for SAS today. I can't wait to get out and meet you guys!
20200712_152323.jpg

We are starting our 2nd week in Ouray.

There are only two spots open for breakfast, Artisan and the one with fresh doughnuts. Both have long morning lines. Neither has dine in. We are at Artisan now, 25 people waiting to order takeout.

We ate at the old OBriens last week....mask required as we walked the 10' from the door to our table. Cooks were not wearing masks. Wait staff was.

Outside, it's about 40-50% masks.

Many limited menus and shortened hours. Mouses is open noon-8. Do NOT trust online posted hours.

Thanks for the heads up. Is the rest of the town open for the most part? (Specifically Ace Hardware and the Supermarket)

Telluride main street is half closed for outside dining....only a couple places have indoor seating, the others (if open) are doorway order and eat outside....which could mean in the rain.

Silverton had a similar setup, depending on the business.

IMG_20200713_131500.jpg

Last edited:
Most important, is the Ouray Brewery open?
Yes. Limited seating and limited menu.
Thanks for the heads up. Is the rest of the town open for the most part? (Specifically Ace Hardware and the Supermarket)
Yes, they appear to be open. Restaurants are the tossup.

To add more regarding hours, staffing is a challenge....we are sitting in HiPie in TRide and they put the closed sign up at 1:45p...they don't have enough employees to run it.

And they are out of fries.

Last edited:
Had signed up for this, but had to cancel due to work. Now due to some unforeseen circumstances I've found myself with a little bit of time off! This area and these trails have always been on our bucket list, so I'm heading out this way but looks like I'll be missing you all by about a week :doh: Unfortunate but sometimes that's how it goes - I don't know a lot, but I do know, if you're given a window of time off...you had better take it.

Happy to check out openings/closings for anyone about anything specific if you are interested just let me know. Open to suggestions about points of interest and things not to miss, etc. if anyone feels like sharing. PM is fine. BLM/dispersed camp spot suggestions are welcome as well from folks who have been here before! Seems like most of it is first come first serve which is definitely good when you're a last minute flying by the seat of your pants moron like myself, but any advice would be appreciated.

I'll be sure to post some pre-SAS pics. Hope it's one to remember.

Had signed up for this, but had to cancel due to work. Now due to some unforeseen circumstances I've found myself with a little bit of time off! This area and these trails have always been on our bucket list, so I'm heading out this way but looks like I'll be missing you all by about a week :doh: Unfortunate but sometimes that's how it goes - I don't know a lot, but I do know, if you're given a window of time off...you had better take it.

Happy to check out openings/closings for anyone about anything specific if you are interested just let me know. Open to suggestions about points of interest and things not to miss, etc. if anyone feels like sharing. PM is fine. BLM/dispersed camp spot suggestions are welcome as well from folks who have been here before! Seems like most of it is first come first serve which is definitely good when you're a last minute flying by the seat of your pants moron like myself, but any advice would be appreciated.

I'll be sure to post some pre-SAS pics. Hope it's one to remember.
There is some dispersed camping at the base of Corkscrew Pass (site of Ironton), just off US 550 about eight miles south of Ouray - east side of the highway. Yankee Boy Basin is worth checking out.

For some laid back non-technical drives:

- The scenic drive over Owl Creek Pass, which heads east from US 550 a few miles north of Ridgway, takes you to the West Fork of the Cimarron.

- Another scenic drive is the "shortcut" from Ridgway to Telluride via Last Dollar Road. On the Telluride end it continues past the Telluride airport - on the Ridgway end it heads south off the main highway a mile or so beyond Dallas Divide.

There is some dispersed camping at the base of Corkscrew Pass (site of Ironton), just off US 550 about eight miles south of Ouray - east side of the highway. Yankee Boy Basin is worth checking out.

For some laid back non-technical drives:

- The scenic drive over Owl Creek Pass, which heads east from US 550 a few miles north of Ridgway, takes you to the West Fork of the Cimarron.

- Another scenic drive is the "shortcut" from Ridgway to Telluride via Last Dollar Road. On the Telluride end it continues past the Telluride airport - on the Ridgway end it heads south off the main highway a mile or so beyond Dallas Divide.
Appreciate the advice! Had both corkscrew and yankee boy trails on the list but didn't realize there was dispersed at the base of corkscrew, awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom