SAS Solid Axle Summit #4 Official Thread 2020 (2 Viewers)

SAS #4 Color Choices

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, will attempt this at the Wall on Poughkeepsie.

If I get in doo-doo I will call you or @dogfishlake .🆘😱🙈

I've used that with plenty of vehicles. The trick is that the brakes need to work good and be balanced and the brake force needs to be more than the traction differential between the wheels, and not so much that you stall out. Muddy situations it's pretty easy to pull off. Rock crawling not so much, because you are needing a lot more torque to pull yourself over, and therefore a lot more brake. Plus you're usually in low range, and you've really gotta be beating on your junk to have it help, especially with a manual. A lot of tractors especially older ones have a split brake pedal that you can un-couple and use the brake pedals individually; just apply the brake to the spinning wheel and you can get yourself out of a many situations that you'd otherwise be fighting.

The only spares we didn't have last year that were needed were 60 series engine mounts. @Kleatus is a master ratchet strapper and McGuyver, so it was all good. Oh, and we needed a spare starter one day and didn't have one, so we swapped a good starter from one truck and bump started the other.

The only spares we didn't have last year that were needed were 60 series engine mounts. @Kleatus is a master ratchet strapper and McGuyver, so it was all good. Oh, and we needed a spare starter one day and didn't have one, so we swapped a good starter from one truck and bump started the other.

i thought someone lost the third in the rear of their 60 on top of Imogene. They had to spend the night there waiting for a part to be found.

6B93C312-71C4-4027-B3E2-EF7E3B360FDC.png
As of today

Some are easy, and some are pretty difficult, requiring a locker (well, at least one individual has been known to do one of those trails with open diffs - you know who you are ;)). There are always options for scenic drives on 2WD dirt roads in the area (Owl Creek Pass to the West Fork of the Cimarron, Last Dollar Road "shortcut" from Telluride to Ridgway, etc.). A way to air up is nice to have, although after some trails - Engineer Pass to Animas Forks and Silverton - you can air up at a service station.

Hell, John, you damn near made it all the way to the summit of Imogene in 2WD last year.

Last edited:
That’s what we had at the top on Imogene.View attachment 2366845
I was gonna say, I remember that! And wait a minute, I've spent many a mile looking out over a dent in a white 60 series hood that looks juuuust like that ! Yup, thats my picture 😀.
20190808_122912.jpg

Holy Moly...112* and 108* today in 2 towns I will be driving thru to get to Ouray.

Still 20 days before I pull out of the driveway...but I don’t think it’s going to get cooler😱. My trip from the Eastern Sierra takes me thru Las Vegas and about 50 miles from Moab on I-70.🆘

While those temps are worrisome, s/b good tho, I actually feel better about the cooling system right now than I did last year before the drive out.

And in the last couple of weeks I also installed a good grade of window tint all around. Even around here in low triple digits I can tell that this has made a big difference.

EDIT: Well, I can take the more northerly route along Nv 6, then Nv 50 (aka ‘The Loneliest Hiway in America’), then on to I-70 and into Colorado. More isolated if I do have any troubles...but in the long run, easier on the vehicle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom