SAS Solid Axle Summit #4 Official Thread 2020 (2 Viewers)

SAS #4 Color Choices

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Speaking of spare parts, how hard are these trails and what should we bring? Need to be able to drive back to Texas.

Take it easy and you’ll be fine, take some spare parts of things you’ve been having some trouble with lately, but don’t get wild..... your in a landcruiser

These are some of the most beautiful trails around but not many of them are really that difficult. You will be more likely to need spare parts on your road trip to/from than on the trails.

Maybe consider a caravan trip with some of the guys from Texas. A whole bunch of guys from Texas are coming.

Speaking of spare parts, how hard are these trails and what should we bring? Need to be able to drive back to Texas.
They are easy enough that Heeps do them all the time :rofl:

If you run into any issues you can always reach out and someone will certainly have something or a way to get you moving again.

@The Phoenician take a weekend, drop your fluids, and give it a good PMCS 20 level style. You will be good man.

The trals are actually pretty tame. It really depends on your abilities and how maintained your Cruiser is. One of our group usually has problems and I think likes to break stuff. Only real tough area is the Wall on Poughkeepsie Gultch. 99% of SAS people drive to Ouray, wheel and drive home with very few issues.

The trals are actually pretty tame. It really depends on your abilities and how maintained your Cruiser is. One of our group usually has problems and I think likes to break stuff. Only real tough area is the Wall on Poughkeepsie Gultch. 99% of SAS people drive to Ouray, wheel and drive home with very few issues.

🙋‍♂ 🤷‍♂️ Idk about like too but yeah it happens and the challenges can be fun sometimes

If you run into any issues you can always reach out and someone will certainly have something or a way to get you moving again.
Right. Between classic cruiser being a few hours away, Proffitt LC being like 1.5 away, and I know a guy in Durango who has 60s for parts. The added bonus @The Phoenician is parts for your 4bt are also very easily to come by at part stores.

Some are easy, and some are pretty difficult, requiring a locker (well, at least one individual has been known to do one of those trails with open diffs - you know who you are ;)). There are always options for scenic drives on 2WD dirt roads in the area (Owl Creek Pass to the West Fork of the Cimarron, Last Dollar Road "shortcut" from Telluride to Ridgway, etc.). A way to air up is nice to have, although after some trails - Engineer Pass to Animas Forks and Silverton - you can air up at a service station.

Less than a month away.

DF03B784-8F85-4F1D-96B4-54F138791FFC.jpeg

Some are easy, and some are pretty difficult, requiring a locker (well, at least one individual has been known to do one of those trails with open diffs - you know who you are ;)). There are always options for scenic drives on 2WD dirt roads in the area (Owl Creek Pass to the West Fork of the Cimarron, Last Dollar Road "shortcut" from Telluride to Ridgway, etc.). A way to air up is nice to have, although after some trails - Engineer Pass to Animas Forks and Silverton - you can air up at a service station.

Lockers are an option but not 100% necessary. A few years back before SAS was even thought of.

SC20140718-071714.png

Probably a really silly question, but what is the cell service coverage like, specifically for Verizon or Tmobile? I might have to sit on our weekly update conference calls and it would make my argument with my command so much easier if I can still make the calls.

I have open diffs still and I would still be willing to give a go. 400lbs of torque, 4.8 1st, and and 4.56 diffs..... yeah I will give it go.

I'll share a little secret I learned many years ago when wheeling my 89 SR5 1st Gen Runner.
An open diff sends power to the wheel with the least amount of traction. Lightly engaging the parking brake on a axle with parking brakes will send power to both wheels. On TC mounted parking brake you can just apply pressure to the brakes when a locker would be helpful.
No fancy high dollar compressors are required and as long as your brakes are working properly it is ready to go.
Yes, its just that easy folks...

I'll share a little secret I learned many years ago when wheeling my 89 SR5 1st Gen Runner.
An open diff sends power to the wheel with the least amount of traction. Lightly engaging the parking brake on a axle with parking brakes will send power to both wheels. On TC mounted parking brake you can just apply pressure to the brakes when a locker would be helpful.
No fancy high dollar compressors are required and as long as your brakes are working properly it is ready to go.
Yes, its just that easy folks...
Jimmy used your trick last year right in front of me. Worked great

I use your trick all the time now with my forklifts at the powder coat shop!

I’ve tried to do this on my 60 and have failed. My parking brake is in excellent shape btw.

So, let’s see if I can get a better understanding of what to do:

1) are you guys saying when it appears as if you might want the ‘locker effect’, you merely apply the parking brake...pull up the handle on a 60...leave it on and go up/over the obstacle? Then release the parking brake.

Or something else all together?

I’ve tried to do this on my 60 and have failed. My parking brake is in excellent shape btw.

So, let’s see if I can get a better understanding of what to do:

1) are you guys saying when it appears as if you might want the ‘locker effect’, you merely apply the parking brake...pull up the handle on a 60...leave it on and go up/over the obstacle? Then release the parking brake.

Or something else all together?

Exactly what you described John. When driving your 40 back in May I used that trick on a few sections of loose gravel in the Tungsten Hills. Works great on a stock rig also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom