SOLD SOLD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For sale: Ex-military ambulance, a 1984 CUCV M1010 Chevy K30 4x4 with a 6.2 liter diesel engine on a one ton chassis located in San Francisco, California. I will accept $7,500. I've invested over $12,000 into the restoration and have receipts from professional mechanics for every repair. I am willing to take a financial loss on the sale since the truck needs the head gasket repaired. I am moving and highly motivated to sell.

Its been restored to near perfect condition, but I found out recently it has a minor head gasket leak (over pressurizes cooling system and forces out coolant, which would cause it to overheat in a few miles, but with no mixing of oil and coolant). The only other detractor is that the previous owner sold the Dana 60 front axle and replaced it with what I believe to be a corporate 10 bolt from a 4x4 Chevy Suburban.

The truck has extremely low mileage, at only 14,000 original miles and has many years and hundreds of thousands of miles to go (this has been verified by multiple mechanics). Everything has been replaced or rebuilt by top notch professional mechanics here in the Bay Area. It is rust free with newer paint and the body is very clean. The ambulance box has been stripped down to an empty box, so it is essentially a four wheel drive box truck which is extremely useful.

It runs and drives excellently and starts strong every time. Has the added benefit of being smog exempt in California. Has a clean title and is currently registered in California as non op for the time being. This is a rare historical vehicle and gets fun attention everywhere you go. You have a unique opportunity to be the steward of one of the nicest examples of these historic rigs that I have come across. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

PROS
-Only 14,000 miles!
-Differentials re-geared to 3.73 for highway driving up to 70 mph, original top speed of 50 mph.
-Speedometer gear changed so it reads correctly to adjust for differential re-gearing.
-Rebuilt transfer case.
-Converted to 12 volts from 24 volts for improved reliability (No DUVAC).
-Switched faulty military style fuel filter and housing to more reliable civilian screw on style.
-200 amp alternator.
-New radiator.
-New brakes.
-New belts.
-New front crankshaft seal.
-New wheel bearings and seals.
-New shocks.
-Replaced instrument cluster with OEM diesel Chevy cluster that has temperature, voltage, and oil pressure gauges instead of less desirable warning lights. Odometer reads 2,000 miles, but is actually a 14,000 mile vehicle.

CONS
-Needs head gasket repaired.
-Does not have original Dana 60 front axle.
-Dashboard is cracked from the sun.

Here's a link to the Craigslist ad: FOR SALE / TRADE: 1984 CUCV M1010 Chevy K30 4x4 6.2Liter Diesel 1 ton

For way too much info about this truck click here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?136960-Bought-a-CUCV-M1010-!

View attachment 371948

View attachment 371949

SeaWitch.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it is appropriate to post this in the tacoma and fj60 classifieds as well or would that just be annoying and overkill? I've had some interest from my craigslist post but not quite finding what i'm looking for. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Does anyone know if it is appropriate to post this in the tacoma and fj60 classifieds as well or would that just be annoying and overkill? I've had some interest from my craigslist post but not quite finding what i'm looking for. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Rather than posting this in the Tacoma or 60 or 80 section I would post a wanted ad in those sections with a link to this in the other vehicle section. I'm not a moderator but I can't imagine that would be breaking any rules

Thanks guys i went ahead and did just that. Let me know if its too much.

headgasket is shot at 14k miles......not exactly a robust engine design OR previous owner/ mechanic got in there and fiddled with odo and its really got 114k or 214k.

Either way- ive always found it tough trading a PB&J for Filet Mignon.

Last edited:
The vehicle sat idle for quite a long time during its military service, and once again with the previous owner. Due to this many of the gaskets and seals had to be replaced. It is quite common with decommissioned military vehicles to have sat unused for the majority of its life. It is a 33 year old vehicle.

Last edited:
You should post this on Expedition Portal.

I appreciate Y'alls input greatly, I can't wait to be a Toyota owner again. They have been some of my favorite rigs of all time, and part of it is the community of excellent people who drive them.

I can arrange vehicle transport to help since my truck cannot be driven far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom