Sold the 60 getting a 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sold my be loved 60 now I'm going to get a 100. I've got a ton of questions. I've been reading thousands of threads but here's the first of many. Getting a 98 or 99 with rear locker, I know I know only a 2 pin front dif but the use of my cruiser is a hunting rig to get me in and out with out getting stuck in the process. Used the winch a few times in the deep Montana snow on my 60. My dad has an 80 but I want the v8 thus the 100 decision n e ways to the question. I've got 17k-18k to spend. Should I get a low mile 100 under 100k for 14-15k with only enough for new tires or should I get one with 140k-160k and have plenty for lift, tires, front and rear bumpers. I've read all the high mileage threads not afraid of getting well into the 200k club. picture of the 60. Thanks for the help.
image.jpg
Thanks for the help!

I picked up my 2000 and when I did the first oil change I changed all fluids (front/rear diff, transfer case, and engine. Tranny had already been done.) I sent oil samples to Blackstone Labs and with 155,000 the samples came back in great shape, I might even go so far as to say perfect. The lab tech wrote "looks like you got a good one!". Some credit goes to the original owners (there were 2) but the TLC is extremely well made... to the point of being legendary :)

I bought a high mileage hundy because i wanted some money leftover for a build. I also felt comfortable because it was a female owned OG owner that was service by toyota.
Once you get to the 180k mark all the crucial services have been done ;)

The high mileage route has worked out well for me. Good looking 60! Above post brings up a good point that if you do go high mileage it would be good to see if the second t-belt service has been done. That's a nice little hurdle to clear that if you had to eat would negate some of the savings of buying the older truck. Also what I did was patiently wait on something to pop up on 'mud. My last 100 was bought here and had several basic mods I planned on doing already on it for the price of a stocker.

"With 17k to spend, I'd go 2003+"

I've always wondered what the "best year" for the 100 series was. Why 2003+? Just curious...

Cool. Thanks for the info

First year with several features I'd like - 5 speed, atrac, no 2 pinion diff, no premium fuel. Some of those came earlier, but 03 onward had all of those.

I've been running regular with my '03, but thought it required premium. I wasn't getting any pinging or reduced performance so I've continued to run 87 - nice to know I don't need premium!

Mike, as a data point I purchased my '03 w/ 88K miles earlier this year for $18K. It's a beautiful truck and we recently took it on a camping trip in Maine and had a blast. Kids loved riding on the tail gate along the carriage roads. Build quality is awesome and 5sp tranny helps w fuel econ - I'm getting about 16.5 mpg mixed highway / city (reg fuel).

Nice! I logged my fuel purchase and mileage when I went to Maine in July but I haven't calculated mileage. It's usually around 16 (or less when I'm in 75 or 80 mph speed zones). Side note- I would love to get back to Maine. It was 2,300 miles one way so I'm not sure that I would drive again. On the other hand, the LC was sheer joy to drive and it let me carry everything with me that I thought that I needed and didn't :)

I got my 04 w/130k miles and immediately did OME Suspension, TOYOs, Method Wheels, and intake.

Super sliders and exhaust are next. I shopped for 03-07 and bought what I could afford. I am super happy with my purchase 10k miles later. R
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409036694.045748.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409036719.797022.jpg

Enjoy 100s are great!

^^^^Looks sharp. I have Champange-colored paint and really don't like it, but otherwise a great ride.

Bought this 98 hundy out of Gypsum, Colorado. 151000 when I bought it now has 152000. Lots of upgrades coming but I am so shocked on the mpg for this beauty, I drove 960 miles at 75-80 and got 16.5 average for the trip(by the way I-75 is gorgeous through grand junction east). I've read a lot of the mpg threads but didn't expect that! I don't know maybe 91 octane helps. I'll be creating a new thread with the build in the next few months thanks for all the information on everything guys!
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh yeah and I'm glad to be a hundy owner, glad I went 100 vs 80! Sold for life, I'll be selling the taheo for 03+ for the wife now, lol. Happy trails!

Oh yeah and I'm glad to be a hundy owner, glad I went 100 vs 80! Sold for life, I'll be selling the taheo for 03+ for the wife now, lol. Happy trails!

Nice looking rig! Glad you are Happy. I love my 100!

Same here. One trip at highway speed up cajon pass convinced me. Frankly the wheeling I do now wouldn't test the 80.

FWIW, I sold my '87 60 back in 2009 and bought a '99 100. I have never regretted it. I preferred the '99 of all the years because I could get the rear locker along with rear AC. I've never experienced A-TRAC so it wasn't something I wanted. I like the simpler and separated dash of the '98/'99 vs the ones with integrated climate/radio/nav. I don't have the 5 spd which probably has a very small fuel economy impact. I don't have the VVTi motor which has a slight impact on high-end power. But a non-VVTi motor has one less thing to break. If I ever wheel my truck hard enough and break the 2 pinion front diff, I'll put in an ARB. I got my truck with 92,000 miles from the original owner in Tucson, AZ for $14k. A newer truck would have cost a lot more. I get 11-13 in the city depending on what I'm doing. I get 15-16 on the flat, interstate highway and closer to city mileage in the mountains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom