Sold one of my Land Cruisers but... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Used front locking dif was $900?!
Am I reading that wrong? Please say yes. It's hard cutting my head sideways on a phone since it rotates if I turn it.
USED?! At that price?

The rebuild kit put in at Clanks house was ALL Toyota OEM purchased here on mud.
And besides, how can the snap ring be too big but still fit in the hub dust cap? I LOL.
I'm assuming this shop deals with mini's and their hubs are close, but NOT the same as the 80 hub.

bet that's exactly right.

Yep, the diff seems overpriced, but the rest of the work seems reasonable. Looks like they also replaced pads and the master cylinder, I can't see how they would expect you to split that cost with them.

All I know is that transport driver opened a :worms:
Yeah and this shop that's doing the work definitely made a few hundred on that used diff and BS'd the "wrong parts"
Spoke to the new owner and he was making it seem that the fault was because of the incorrect parts installed that caused this problem.

All I know is that transport driver opened a :worms:
Yeah and this shop that's doing the work definitely made a few hundred on that used diff and BS'd the "wrong parts"
Spoke to the new owner and he was making it seem that the fault was because of the incorrect parts installed that caused this problem.

Sounds to me like your getting took from all sorts of directions. By the transport company, by the new owner and by the shop that's probably new owners "buddy". Wrong parts? Caused the damage? $900 for a used diff? Smells fishier than a $2 hooker on clearance.

It does have that stink all over, however I am not liable for other peoples mistakes. It will have to go to attorneys at this point because I am not willing to pay for these issues caused by shear stupidity and negligence. Spent enough time and stress over this, just exhausted. But still feel for the new owner but hopefully for the price he paid for the truck, I believe it should make up for this. He still got a steal since I threw in a set of new 35" tires as well.

Hate to say it, but I'm beginning to think the transport may be in the clear. It may be stinking down in Tampa...

I know previous owner chimed in earlier on this thread with a pic showing front end was redone.
View attachment 950705

BTW, I posted the pic of the rebuild. I stopped by, but I was not the owner. Not sure if he posted in here.

Last edited:
Yup, Insurance company declined any claim since the transport company got a signature from the new owner that releases all liability after delivery was made.

Was wondering if it would/should have made the sound in reverse as when they unloaded it off the transport..........If so wouldn't he have heard something upon unloading the vehicle?? & then NOT signed the release?? was the odometer checked at time of delivery?? By the driver? OR new owner?

If you have video of it driving 100% just before loading it up, my thoughts are you should be in the clear........

Im ALL for your stand up guy attitude on this though and appreciate the fact that you have always just been trying to help and do the right thing. Awesome seeing the forum in action AGAIN, coming to a brother in needs aid. ill definitely DRINK TO THAT. :beer:

Looks sounds and seems like BS. So, BS.

Me, I might take half the diff price, drop master cylinder, brake work, and pay half of that. Or, lawyer up. No way would I pay even half of current shenanigans bill.

Was wondering if it would/should have made the sound in reverse as when they unloaded it off the transport..........If so wouldn't he have heard something upon unloading the vehicle?? & then NOT signed the release?? was the odometer checked at time of delivery?? By the driver? OR new owner?

If you have video of it driving 100% just before loading it up, my thoughts are you should be in the clear........

Im ALL for your stand up guy attitude on this though and appreciate the fact that you have always just been trying to help and do the right thing. Awesome seeing the forum in action AGAIN, coming to a brother in needs aid. ill definitely DRINK TO THAT. :beer:

Yes, it did make the loud clicking noise when it reversed out of the transport truck and the buyer did call me and I told him that it had no issues when it left and did have pics and video before it loaded and some during loading. So I know I am in the clear. However he signed the release not knowing the legal ramification at that moment.

Well. hate to sound like a jerk but. He gets what he gets then......................Cuz that was pretty stupid.

lawyers aint cheap... and if he gets one, it may cost you more to defend yourself than he is asking for... of course if you pay up now... "if you give a moose a muffin"....

if you do cut him a check you should include the URL to clank's for sale thread in the "pay to the order of" section.

You really should contact a lawyer.

And... while this is all terribly frustrating, unfortunate and potentially costly for you... you have provided us all with a valuable lesson. Selling anything? Take video of it running properly before it leaves your possession.

I have bought and sold dozens of vintage Honda motorcycles. My phone and YouTube account is full of video of the bikes starting and running down the road and I document the time/date and highlight any issues and document everything that is working. ie full walkaround, startup, running, riding etc.

I don't mean to come off as criticizing you. It's a crap situation. Just hoping everybody else reading this thread puts this into the memory bank for the future.

Yup, Insurance company declined any claim since the transport company got a signature from the new owner that releases all liability after delivery was made.

In insurance claims, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You should escalate the claim and keep pestering them - eventually they may decide to pay the owner what he's rightly owed (by the truck company, not by you!) if you keep bothering them.

There's no doubt whatsoever that the transport driver went joy riding. The dust and grit that was on the drip rail and stuck in the creases, I think that was from somewhere west. The silt packed in the wheel arches, even though it had been sprayed down, was clear days later.
If you don't know how to use it, the magic button can sure screw up some expensive running gear, it's plug and play demolition in the hands of a fool.
There had to be a mileage discrepancy, and if the buyer couldn't determine that on the spot, he ducked himself, at the same time he signed for the delivery.

Who has the current mileage? It should be a VERY simple equation to determine how much driving the tow company did on the way east....

This is indeed a bad situation for all involved. However the seller has done his due diligence, and has the evidence to prove the 80 was in perfect running condition when it was loaded (video and pics). The buyer and tow company now have the burden to prove otherwise. OP, lawyer up, or at least consult one now. Failure to act will bite you in the rear shortly if you don't. You being across country is going to cost $$$ since the buyer is going to most likely file any legal action in FL.

And to Chester, good on you for helping out. It's good to know there are still some honest and helpful people around.

I don't get how the new owner does not realize this is not your responsibility? He bought a USED car. Not a new car off the lot. It was sold as is. Not your problem.

The only way he could ask you for $$ is to claim you were fraudulent in the ad. As long as you were not, you are ok. The burden is on the buyer to completely have the vehicle checked out before purchase, period. That is why I always take a used car to a mechanic (AAA has a program) and get a full workup done on it.

Well, I'm assuming the vehicle was advertised as being in good working condition. Obviously, through no fault of the seller, the buyer got something other than what he paid for. As the buyer arranged for the transportation as part of the purchase price, it does fall on the seller if his transportation company screwed things up. He needs to be lawyering up and preparing to file suit against the transportation company. He has evidence that they moved the truck on and off the trailer in between pickup and delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom