Sold my FZJ80 and got a GX today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title says I sold my 93 FZJ80 with 285k miles last week and picked up a base model 2003 GX470 with 170k miles for cheap.

I know next to nothing about them other than they are decently priced for a used 4x4 compared to a used Toyota which fetches 1000's over Kelly Blue book.

Like most others here I'm looking to change the suspension, tires and sliders. I plan on using it for mild to moderate trails and a good amount of washboard roads. If you have suggestions for the suspension please let me know. Tires.... I'm going to stick with the same ones I had on my 80 the Goodyear AT Adventure with Kevlar in a 285/75/16.

I hope to get to know you all as this will be a work in progress.

IMG_7191.JPG

Very nice, got mine 2008 last year with 74K on it. They are really excellent vehicles. Saw lots in Colombia when I was there in the spring.

Looking forward to seeing your upgrades. Also, you probably know already but the GX won't accommodate a wheel smaller than 17".

Looking forward to seeing your upgrades. Also, you probably know already but the GX won't accommodate a wheel smaller than 17".

I didn't actually lol thanks

Welcome... it is amazing how good of a deal these are compared to some of the Toyotas... nice get

Exact reason I got a GX. Much nicer then the very well reviewed 4runner, more then likely much better service history, and usually cheaper.

IMG_0002.JPG
I have the exact same year and mileage as you, love this vehicle. Came from a 60 and couldn't think of going back. I have bilstien 5100's with stock 4th gen 4runner springs in rear. So happy with this setup, it's great on washboards and they give you extra travel over stock. For the price it's a great value.

View attachment 1539674 I have the exact same year and mileage as you, love this vehicle. Came from a 60 and couldn't think of going back. I have bilstien 5100's with stock 4th gen 4runner springs in rear. So happy with this setup, it's great on washboards and they give you extra travel over stock. For the price it's a great value.

Beautiful picture! Utah?

Where would I find the part numbers for the 5100's and do the 4runners springs need any adapters? This is probably what I'm looking for. Thank you

Last edited:
That GX behind you looks stock!

View attachment 1539674 I have the exact same year and mileage as you, love this vehicle. Came from a 60 and couldn't think of going back. I have bilstien 5100's with stock 4th gen 4runner springs in rear. So happy with this setup, it's great on washboards and they give you extra travel over stock. For the price it's a great value.

Question about the CDL. I read the owners manual and it says when the CDL is engaged the light will go solid. My light is always flashing but I can feel that the CDL did engage because it's hard to do turns. Did I miss something in the owners manual?

IMG_7199.JPG

Question about the CDL. I read the owners manual and it says when the CDL is engaged the light will go solid. My light is always flashing but I can feel that the CDL did engage because it's hard to do turns. Did I miss something in the owners manual?

View attachment 1540121

You read correctly, it should be solid if its engaged. I can't say why its still flashing but its suppose to be solid and the VSC OFF light is supposed to be on.

View attachment 1540121

If it's flashing that generally means it's NOT engaged. The solenoid or whatever can often be stuck (since most people never use the lock). Have you rocked the vehicle back and forth? I have had to do that on mine before.

I have not rocked it back and forth. I read on another forum to bang on the CDL actuator with a rubber mallet.

If it's flashing that generally means it's NOT engaged. The solenoid or whatever can often be stuck (since most people never use the lock). Have you rocked the vehicle back and forth? I have had to do that on mine before.

yup. I like to use this every so many weeks on the gx and the 80 just to keep things free and moving.

You're description of your 80 is awesome. Lol

I have not rocked it back and forth. I read on another forum to bang on the CDL actuator with a rubber mallet.

That could work. Try putting everything in low and lock it (need to be off pavement) and roll forward a truck length or so, then backwards the same way. Do that a few times and see if it engages.

yup. I like to use this every so many weeks on the gx and the 80 just to keep things free and moving.

Same here. Been slacking lately though. Need to do it again soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom