Sold my 60, now dialing in my 40 - tire opinions please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
So, the FJ60 on 38" Swampers is gone. :confused:

Going forward I'll be wheeling my SUA FJ40 (ARB lockers, 4.56 diffs) and I'm getting ready to bump up from the 33" BFG KM2s on there to 35s.
You all wheel what I wheel, in general (input from the guys out west is useless). I'm looking for a relatively aggressive tire that'll work in the rocks of the northeast... AOAA and Rausch - for example.
I'm looking for radials - one set of tires... I don't want to be swapping back & forth. I'll trailer it on most wheeling trips but want to drive it regionally often. Going with 17" wheels.
So far the tires that have been mentioned:
Goodyear MTR
BFG KM3
Toyo MT
Maxxis Trepador

I'm hoping for real-world input from those that know.

Thanks
Mark

My FJ40.jpg

I'm happy with my MTR but definitely looking forward to the day I can splurge on treps

I'm happy with my MTR but definitely looking forward to the day I can splurge on treps
Bias Treps for sure.... not so sure about the radial flavor. Thoughts?

Man...after CMCC this year I'm right there with you. My 40 on 33's did awesome but...I need 35's too. I personally have not experienced a better tire on the PA terrain than the BFG KM3's. MTR's worked ok for me but the BFG is better. I have no experience with the others.

And this was my first trip with the Orion TC...should done that a Long time ago!

I’ve had MTR’s, BFG’s, Toyo’s and currently run Firestone MT’s that came with the rig in 33”. My hands down favorite and choice when I go to 37’s will be Toyo’s. I had them on my last rig and for a street legal tire they killed whatever terrain I threw at them.

However I am very pleasantly surprised how the Firestone MT’s did at AOAA this past weekend and am going to run them for the foreseeable future until I can afford 17’s and 37’s.

Bias all the way for a trail rig! You need horsepower, they are heavy!

Mark. I run Bias TSL SX's 36x12.5 the road manners are surprisingly good. After the flat spots work them selfs out. I couldn't ask for a more sturdy sidewall to resist cuts from east coast rocks. Iirc there is a radial but it's heavier then the bias.

Mark. I run Bias TSL SX's 36x12.5 the road manners are surprisingly good. After the flat spots work them selfs out. I couldn't ask for a more sturdy sidewall to resist cuts from east coast rocks. Iirc there is a radial but it's heavier then the bias.

I had been running bias TSLs on my 60 for quite a few years. I hesitated to drive them on the street much, for one thing they're expensive and I didn't want to wear them out, figuring they'd wear out faster than radials on the street. For the 40 I'm hoping to drive it on the street more than I did the 60 so I'm going to stick with radials I think. I think I want something less aggressive as well.

Look at Yokos

The G003's are very road friendly IMO, not the heaviest, and rather aggressive overall.

I run them on my FJC and love them.

Last edited:
I had been running bias TSLs on my 60 for quite a few years. I hesitated to drive them on the street much, for one thing they're expensive and I didn't want to wear them out, figuring they'd wear out faster than radials on the street. For the 40 I'm hoping to drive it on the street more than I did the 60 so I'm going to stick with radials I think. I think I want something less aggressive as well.
Try the Maxxis Razr 772 MT. I have the 33's on my 40 and had the 40's on the race car. Both work really good.

Last edited:
I vote MTR. Last set were maxxis bighorns, set before were km2s, then prior to that BFG all terrains. My only trail casuallty was a km2 sidewall got shredded at Gore years back. Bighorns are still my daily driver tire (I swap MTRs out do to expense and not wanting to wear them out on the road). I do love the maxxis for the money they were and still are outstanding. The MTRs just plain work though. The road manners are excellent with the goodyear as well, but they seem to want to wear fast I think do to the softer tread compound?

Late to the party here, as I seldom check in on mud anymore… But I would either buy the Terps or the Toyo MT. Obviously, the Toyo MT is a compromise, if you plan to do any road driving with it at all. I am running the Toyo MT’s (33 10.5 33)l on my FJ40 and would never buy another MT tire, unless there was some new technology… I have had all of the ones previously mentioned. I consistently run them at 65 mph on the highway, 8+ hours at a shot, and air them down to 8psi on the trail. I have never found a tougher, heavier, better compromise tire… In fact, I’m getting ready to order another set for an upcoming trip.

I have run MTR's on my 40 for ten years or more they are good on the trail and good on the road. I put Toyos on the diesel HDJ81 when I had it, drove it to Colorado and back and over all the trails out there and thought they were great tires. Toyos are very heavy and very strong both tread-wise and sidewalls. I have no experience with the others but don't think you can go wrong with Toyo or MTR

I like my Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's With Kevlar, bead locked with 8oz of balance beads in each one. Great on and off road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom