For Sale (Sold) 1970 Land Cruiser FJ55 (Texas) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi guys and gals, I'm tossing around the idea of selling my pig i fixed up all of last year. Its a 1970 fj55 with 43k miles on the odometer. Has the original F engine that runs phenominal. 3 Speed tranny that shifts well and runs well on the highway (55-60). I'm wanting to save up for a down payment on a house and this would make a big difference. I'll try to be as through as possible. I'm sure ill forget a couple things that i've done to it. ill try to update the post as much as possible if i think of something.
I bought the truck from an older gentleman in central texas that had it sitting on his ranch. He had it for about 20 years and used it just as a farm truck to get around his property. Before i had it it hadnt been registered for road use since 1989. He bought it from what he thought was the original owner that lived with it in New Mexico. When i got the truck there was some rust in the front floor boards and some in the lower area of the front fenders.

When I started fixing her up i cut out all of the rust spots and replaced it with 16 gauge steel. since the truck wasn't driven on the road in years i had to go through everything mechanical on the truck. basically everything mechanical has been replaced with a new part of ive rebuilt. Started off by getting the engine running like it should.

All new ignition system, New plugs, wires, ignition coil, dizzy cap, rotor, points and condenser. The starter is freshly rebuilt. new belt. I ran through the fuel system. dropped the fuel tank and got it flushed by a local radiator guy. new fuel cap, new fuel lines ran from front to back. the original glass fuel filter/dropout is in great shape, new fuel filter. Carburetor surprised me by actually running and idling, however it ran rough so i bought a keyster rebuild kit from cruiser corp and rebuilt it. (runs phenomenal now) can idle down extremely low with ease. The odometer is stuck on 43k, however with how good the compression is i would think that the actual mileage is close to this. Ran a compression test on it and all 6 cylinders read right at 145. replaced the valve cover gasket, and rear output shaft seal for the transfer case. Flushed the cooling system out and put on a new water pump and gasket.

I got a oil filter relocation kit from Redline land cruisers in Colorado springs and mounted it in its stock location. Truck has great oil pressure. Has a new brake master cylinder as well as a new slave cylinder and clutch cylinder. bought a new oem clutch kit from cruiser corps, shifts and engages each gear nicely.
After going through everything on the driveline i went to the brakes. Most of the wheel cylinders were leaking so i went ahead and rebuilt all 8 wheel cylinders. The brakes were all shot so i replaced all of the pads and had the drums resurfaced. stops extremely nicely for having drum brakes. Doesnt pull any direction when applying the brakes hard or soft. Charging system works great. Brand new Interstate batter with 5 year warranty. driving it at night with brights on fans on and listening to the radio and its still charging above 12 volts.

Truck has brand new factory steel wheels with hub caps from cruiser corps. Tires are Brand new BFGoodrich KM2s 33x10.5x15. New Heavy duty shackles from CCOT that give it about 2" of lift. Perfect fit in my opinion for the 33" tires, no rubbing anywhere.
My uncle is an electrical engineer so i had him go through my original radio and make it as close to perfect as can be. i installed another aftermarket radio ounted underneath the original one so i can hook my phone up. has blutooth, usb, and aux hookups. it Has 4 speakers in it. got the idea from another pig guy on the forum for mounting them in the front kick panel area 6" speakers front and look great. For the rear i just used generic 6x9 speaker boxes. stereo sounds great.

i ran through the truck and ran new wires for all of the switches. the rear glass will roll up and down with a little assistance. The electric motor is good and strong, its just the teeth on the rear cog that could be replaced to be made perfect. SOR sells the gear im pretty sure. front and rear fans/ heaters work great and heat the truck well when its cold outside. The valve for the heater was stuck so I cleaned the valve out and made sure it was operating well just like it should. Works great now. the fresh air vent that opens and closes the vent for fresh or in cab air is in the fresh air position. The cable to adjust it is froze so i just keep it in the fresh position. There are 3 factory fresh air intake vents that you can open and close with ease to allow more fresh air into the cab. I probably forgot something that ive done for the mechanical aspect of the truck but this is the meat of it.

Switching over into the cosmetic side of things.

The body of the truck was in good shape with exception of the bit of rust that i cut out in the floor board and lower front fenders. there was a small dent in the rear under the tail light that i did some bondo work on that turned out really nice. I pulled out all of the interior and brought the truck down to bare metal and shot it with primer and sealer. truck was super straight all around. I went with the factory color combo Judson green and Olympus white (T453 & T1453). I painted the wheels the T1453 Olympus white to match the white. I replaced any old weatherstripping that i was able to get. new rear quarter glass weather stripping. new windshield gasket. new door weatherstripping, new body molding weatherstripping. new rear glass weatherstripping. new glass channel run. I bought the factory styled Seats, headliner, and dash cover from cruiser corps and had my local upholstery guy install it all. New factory styled door panels and rear cargo panels. disassembled and cleaned the window regulator assemblies and they all roll up and down with ease. front door window vents open and close like they should and seal well. Has new turn signals. cleaned out and waxed the rear tailights, they cleaned up well enough to look like new so i didnt bother replacing them with new ones.

I drive the truck 2-3 times a week around town and to work on nice days. I work an hour away from where i live and it makes the drive with ease. It cruises 55-60 mph easily and has good power if you need to pass anyone (which doesnt happen often hahah). I built the truck to be as reliable as possible and look good also. Its not a museum truck by any means. Plans were to go to the Pig party this year so i wanted it to be a truck i dont have to worry about while making the long trip.i really dont want to sell her because of all the work ive done to it, I'm just wanting to save up for a down payment on a new home. If i missed something or you would like more pictures that yall are thinking about feel free to PM me or comment and ill try and respond as quickly as possible!

im going to upload pictures right after posting this. Hopefully wont have to much difficulty doing so. wish me luck there!

In regards to the PRICE im not really sure what its worth. I trust yall over anyone else so whatever you think i should ask for it please please please post in regards to what you think ballpark i should ask for it. Look forward to hearing from yall!

Thanks Guys!!!!!

Last edited:
You need to show close up pics of the usual FJ55 rust areas (rockers, front body mounts, rear body mounts, rear quarters). It's a great looking rig :)

Ughh....

@Spallet go check this one out.

You need to show close up pics of the usual FJ55 rust areas (rockers, front body mounts, rear body mounts, rear quarters). It's a great looking rig :)
When I get home tomorrow I'll take some more close ups of everything for y'all. The interior was a little dark in the pictures too. I'll get some bright ones of those up also

IMG_2619.JPG
IMG_2622.JPG
IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_2628.JPG
IMG_2630.JPG

Driver's side rocker was pulled from a parts vehicle and welded in. Not the most glorious but better than what was on it. From a few feet away it's not noticable. Lower part of front fenders I cut out the rust and replaced with new metal then blended with a thin layer of bondo. Other than that the rest of the truck is straight solid metal.
IMG_2607.JPG
IMG_2611.JPG
IMG_2613.JPG
IMG_2614.JPG
IMG_2620.JPG

I definitely think $15-17k would be pretty reasonable for this pretty piggy.

Great looking Pig! How about your 40? You consider selling that? I like red 40's too!
Hahah Thanks! And I really wasn't thinking about selling it but if the right offer was there I wouldn't mind buying another project 40 to build!
Normally I'd say I would never post my 40 for sale but there is a trade in the works possibly on the pig and if it goes through then I might toss around the idea of posting it.

PM sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom