soft "whomping" noise from front wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Helloooo everybody, starting out this morning while driving in a straight line when the cruiser reached approx. 18-20 mph the truck had a soft repetitive whomping noise (like something was stuck to the tire) the noise was coming from the front drivers side wheel area it seamed to abate after a while. It only did it at or above the 18-20 mph, I only got up to about 35mph to see if it happens at higher speeds (residential area) and it did. Seemed like it was doing at every revolution of the tire. Have had all front end service up to date according to Toyota. Anyone know what the noise / problem might be?
Thanks in advance, Cliff

More information would be helpful, especialy a more in depth description of the noise.

Possible causes:

wheel bearing(s)
dry spindle
brake caliper
rotor

To me something stick in the tire sounds like the rythmic click of a rock on the pavement.

If it's a soft womp - check the tires. My wifes car did that and it turned out the treat was seperating.

Check the preload on your wheel bearings.

Check your tyres. :D

Asphalt_on_tires.jpg

-B-

Also check the rubber mud sheild inside the wheel well. When I did my starter contacts, I pulled that off/back to gain access and neglected to put it back completely. If it's loose or partially hanging, it will flap in the breeze when you get to the right speed producing exactly the noise you describe.

Scamper said:
Also check the rubber mud sheild inside the wheel well. If it's loose or partially hanging, it will flap in the breeze when you get to the right speed producing exactly the noise you describe.

Scamper may be up to something here, I had exactly the same problem with my FJ60 before I sold it.

Follow up on the whomping. Yesterday afternoon on the way home no noise at all, temperature was about 75 degrees outside, also no noise this morning it was a little bit warmer this morning than yesterday too. Dan I did have the front breaks done about 4k miles ago at the local Toyota dealer, as for the noise that's basically the best scientific description I can do, no other noises though. The dealer did the recommended 60k mile front end service from the factory @ 72k miles. SunTzuMD, I actually had one of the original Michelin tires (luckily a rear) on the truck separate on the freeway when driving so I know the sound (lots of tread but 10 years old)!
Beowulf, no cattle, bear, elephant or great Dane crossings in my neck of the woods. Scamper I'll check the mud flaps when I get home tonight.
Thanks all

fawkin' womps. Hey all you gun fans git out there and blast those damn womps will ya.....in the meantime maybe check inside wheel wells for loose/folded/bent rubber flap womper

abclin said:
Beowulf, no cattle, bear, elephant or great Dane crossings in my neck of the woods.

That's not dung; it's melted asphault that stuck to both front tyres on a hot summer day a few years ago. Nasty stuff. Had to get 2 new tyres as the crap was NOT coming out of the tread and talk about whomping!

-B-

Helloooo everybody, starting out this morning while driving in a straight line when the cruiser reached approx. 18-20 mph the truck had a soft repetitive whomping noise (like something was stuck to the tire) the noise was coming from the front drivers side wheel area it seamed to abate after a while. It only did it at or above the 18-20 mph, I only got up to about 35mph to see if it happens at higher speeds (residential area) and it did. Seemed like it was doing at every revolution of the tire. Have had all front end service up to date according to Toyota. Anyone know what the noise / problem might be?
Thanks in advance, Cliff
I realize this is a 10 year old thread but have searched high and low for something familiar to what my d/s wheel is doing and this is the exact sound it is making on my 02. Did you ever figure out a fix? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom