Soft-Top Twist Locks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.vintagewheelsegypt.com
Hello,

Can someone kindly post a close up photo of the Twist locks installed on the tub.
Should there be any cushioning between the twist lock and tub ?
Need to see the bolts used too?
I intend on using Twist locks similar to the original which are fastened using 2 bolts. Thanks to the sailing company in Mississippi.

They are called turnbuckles. There is no cushion. The originals had a single stud with nut and washer, but the two screw type are more common and easier to find. I believe the originals are still available from toyota. Ionly have pictures of the two screw type.
IMGP0768.jpg

Tub Holes

Thanks Pin Head
Thanks South Boston
Hmm.. seems I have some extra holes on the tub. I prefer using the single bolt one if thats how Toyota made it :)
Turns out I have holes on the tube to use single or 2 bolt Turnbuckles!!
and the soft top quest for my 43 continues..

Right one is OEM Toyota.

7f40ac56.jpg

Does anyone have any leads where to find this type of twist-lock? All the ones that are coming up in my search are the wood screw type instead of the machine screw stud type.

I would like to use nut-serts on my tub instead of self tapping screws.

Thanks

Part No.: 65928-60010
FASTENER, TARPAULIN
available through ToyotaPartsDeal, although in hindsight I would have tried some of the local vendors on here first. I paid $7.64 + shipping. They ain't cheap, that's for sure.

Part No.: 65928-60010
FASTENER, TARPAULIN
available through ToyotaPartsDeal, although in hindsight I would have tried some of the local vendors on here first. I paid $7.64 + shipping. They ain't cheap, that's for sure.

The difference in quality between the OEM Toyota ones and others is pretty big.

I happen to have two laying right behind me. Here's a side by side of one that came with my new top from from Anchor Stitch (Trollhole's soft top maker) and OEM. The black one is whatever the imperial equivalent of M4x0.7 is. OEM is M6x1.0. Both have approx a 12mm stud.

2019-01-22 16.15.35.jpg

I happen to have two laying right behind me. Here's a side by side of one that came with my new top from from Anchor Stitch (Trollhole's soft top maker) and OEM. The black one is whatever the imperial equivalent of M4x0.7 is. OEM is M6x1.0. Both have approx a 12mm stud.

View attachment 1886045

Awesome! Thanks a lot. I believe the ones supplied by Anchor Stitch are 6-32 imperial.
These are the same ones I have and the stud seems a little thin for my liking. The OEM ones seem much stronger.

Awesome! Thanks a lot. I believe the ones supplied by Anchor Stitch are 6-32 imperial.
These are the same ones I have and the stud seems a little thin for my liking. The OEM ones seem much stronger.
No problem. I believe the upside is you could go with the ones you have and always drill out the hole for the slightly larger OEM version later if they didn't hold up. The downside is not knowing how many OEM's are still out there in Toyota warehouses:meh:. I probably have 8 more OEM than I need due to a change in soft top style but I won't know for sure until I get the thing on and secured. I'll try to remember to hit you up if you're still shopping around.

No problem. I believe the upside is you could go with the ones you have and always drill out the hole for the slightly larger OEM version later if they didn't hold up. The downside is not knowing how many OEM's are still out there in Toyota warehouses:meh:. I probably have 8 more OEM than I need due to a change in soft top style but I won't know for sure until I get the thing on and secured. I'll try to remember to hit you up if you're still shopping around.

Sounds good, it will be awhile before I’m ready. Just trying to gather everything I will need.

Thanks again.

Seems like they are described in all sorts of ways: Turnbutton, turn button, curtain fastener, twist stud, twist button fastener, twist lock fastener:lol:

Not what you’re looking for. Interesting though

Seems like they are described in all sorts of ways: Turnbutton, turn button, curtain fastener, twist stud, twist button fastener, twist lock fastener:lol:

Not what you’re looking for. Interesting though

The difference in quality between the OEM Toyota ones and others is pretty big.
Good to know,

Any idea of the thread size and pitch of the stud on the OEM ones?

Thanks
SMG
@SMG see here for links to alternatives... correct name is "Common Sense Fasteners" :
Common Sense Fasteners - Canvas Makers Guild

@Martyt

DSCN9872.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom