Soft Top Suggestion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am finishing a 73 FJ40 (9/72) and am wanting to get some suggestions on the best soft top that will last. My 73 did not come with roll bars so will need to be supported. Any suggestions?:confused:

I think the choices are Best Top or Specialty Top Company, and I'm not sure STC is still around.

I have a Tiger Top that I believe was from Specialty Tops. I'm not sure they're around anymore, either. However, a number of folks on the board here love the soft top from Pakistan from Esan. I'm sure a search would turn up more info on them. My Tiger Top has held up on my 40 for (I'm guessing here) around 15 years or more. I still have the old hardtop, but it's just sitting at my father-in-law's. I love the flexibility of the soft top. My soft top came with soft doors, as well. The plastic windows do need some cleaning up, however. Scratched and getting a bit "cloudy".

Tons of soft top stuff on mud if you search...and I mean loads of info.

Tiger top is Specter's version of a Bestop. I believe Specialty Top (ex-kayline) is gone for good. That leaves only two choices that I am aware of - Bestop (including Specter's version) and Ehsan's pakistani-made repro OEM softtop. Tons of info on ehsan's top here on Mud (including an ocassional one for sale) and you can check out besttop's offering at SOR.com.

Keep in mind that, while the OEM-style softtops look great, they are not designed as convertible tops. I've been running bestops on my '68 FJ40 for 20 years - currently on my third one.

None of the full soft tops use a roll bar for support (bikini tops generally do.) Regardless, you really need a roll bar or better yet, roll cage!

I hope you have a roll bar now!

I have a roll bar which has not been added. I just purchased this vehicle less than 1 year ago and are working on getting it road worthy. The problem I have with the roll bar is I have the old style wide seats. If I install the roll bar, no rear seats. This vehicle will not see a ton on off road here in central Illinois or Iowa...

Just order a metal tech roll cage Im sure that you can still make your rear seats work. I ended up on my side once in the parking lot doing donuts in the snow with the crazy weather you guys have been having out there lately its better to be safe than sorry

I have a roll bar which has not been added. I just purchased this vehicle less than 1 year ago and are working on getting it road worthy. The problem I have with the roll bar is I have the old style wide seats. If I install the roll bar, no rear seats. This vehicle will not see a ton on off road here in central Illinois or Iowa...

fab up some spacers for the larger rear seats and use them...i think even a place or two sell them now.

Here's a Bestop:

94375640_icoS4-L-1.jpg

Here's an OEM replica (By Ehsan):

150466617_GpGqB-L-1.jpg

Although the OEM top isn't as easy to "drop" or remove, the side and rear panels roll up which is almost as nice as having it off. They are also more wind resistant and less noisy and fit great with hard doors. Having run both, I choose the OEM top hands down.

As mentioned, there are eleven billion threads about tops here on MUD. Do a search for soft top, or pakistan soft top, or Ehsan or bestop, etc.

:cheers:

you can order rear seat spacers from spector. i'll post a pic later as i am at school on my pda

As far as the Tiger Top goes, the original hard doors fit perfectly, as well.

I have converted my 73 to ambulance door...What will this do to me other than possibly requiring a fabricated tail gate?

I really like the half top that Matt had on his winch truck.
It looked like OEM, but only covered the front seats.
Matt, who made it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom