Soft-top on a hardtop 25? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We've seen hardtops retrofitted to soft-top model FJ25s. However, has anyone installed or seen an aftermarket soft-top and doors (i.e., Kayline or BestTop, etc.) installed on a hardtop model 25?

As some of you know, my hardtop 25 has had the 8" pillars behind the front doors leveled off. And, after looking at STC's website that spelled out required dimensions for the tub and windshield frame, supposedly it would fit perfectly no different from an FJ40. Anyone know any reasons why it shouldn't??

:confused:
FJ254a1.jpg

This pic of a right hand drive '58 appears to be a hardtop model that was perhaps retrofitted by Toyota with an OEM style soft-top. But, I can't tell from the pic if the door pillars were shaved behind the factory hard doors.

Unless . . . .

did Toyota actually make a factory hardtop/soft-top model with squared-off front door frames (maybe for the the foreign market) so it could go either way?? :confused:

(Also noticed that the hood hooks are too far forward to accomadate an apron air intake on this one like mine. Again, maybe a foreign market thing? :rolleyes: )
1958swb1.jpg

Last edited:
I see no reason why you couldn't install an after market soft top. But the one in the picture you have looks like a FJ28 with a tub that was made for it. The door openings are not the same as a FJ40 or your FJ25 hard top. After 1962 or 1963 Toyota only made one style door opening and around 1966 they made them so the hard tops could install a soft top and the soft tops could install the hard top. I have switched them around on my 1968 for years. The only real different was the soft top had the tailgate and the hard top had the two doors. But that was that way even on the FJ25s. So are you thinking of installing a soft top instead of finding the hard top. Gee what's next you going to put a bezel on it:eek: and change the wheel well opening.:rolleyes: Is this what happens when you get old.:)

John

Living in the Past said:
So are you thinking of installing a soft top instead of finding the hard top. Gee what's next you going to put a bezel on it:eek: and change the wheel well opening.:rolleyes: Is this what happens when you get old.:)

John

Steve knows where TWO hardtops are, he doesn't want 'em:eek:

Quote: FJnotCJ Steve knows where TWO hardtops are, he doesn't want 'em

I told him I have one out here too. I guess it's to big to put in the suitecase or something when he was out here visiting.:rolleyes:

Take that hacksaw and cut those chrome bars out of the grill, put in a 4" lift with the some chrome wheels and 35" tires. I sure you could find somebody to take your old wheels, they might even pay shipping. I take those ugly old hub caps off yours hands.:grinpimp: I know Lamdpimp uses them for ashtrays but I don't think you smoke so just send them my way. Send the seats too, you know your going to put in some fancy buckets seats away.:rolleyes:

John

Really Steve I love the photo crop LOL. The tape on the wheel well and the tools laying on the ground are just too funny. That was just to quick to have made, you must of posted it before? At my age I forget things:frown:

John

Last edited:
Living in the Past said:
Really Steve I love the photo chop LOL. That was just to quick to have made

Nope. It's for real. (I'm not that good with PhotoShop.)

And, if you don't hand-deliver that hardtop down to me soon, I'm gonna start cuttin'. :D

Steve, Great Pic...

Looks like your on Step 4 of my old PBB thread:
Make Your Own 25

Oh, and you should have no problem running an aftermarket top, may have to cut a hole in the top of your cut-off pillars. I"m assuming no on my hardtop also? ;p

Steve, love the pic too! :cool:

Jim, where are you finding the headlight rings? My pockets aren't near as deep as Foxfabs' to go gettin' the originals rechromed right now...and my 40 trail rig is probably getting that '60 hardtop tub so I gotta work to make the disguise/transformation complete. I'd also like to make sure no unobtainium is harmed in the process. :D

Nick

Cruiser_Nerd said:
I"m assuming no on my hardtop also? ;p
Not necessarily so. I'd love to obtain a hardtop (and I still plan to) as soon as I can figure out any possible way to economically get one here.

The ultimate plan is to have a 25 with the option for either a softtop or hardtop, hopefully with the ability to run hard doors with either top, just like my 40.

As soon as I can find the shipping $$ and/or time for a long road trip, I'll be taking up one of these great offers if they're still available.

Jim. that was a great "build your own 25" thread you posted on PBB!! :grinpimp: LOL!!!

Landcruisersteve said:
The ultimate plan is to have a 25 with the option for either a softtop or hardtop, hopefully with the ability to run hard doors with either top, just like my 40.

As soon as I can find the shipping $$ and/or time for a long road trip, I'll be taking up one of these great offers if they're still available.

Have you looked at any corrugated tops from the mid 60's? I think around 65 or so the tubs lost that little pillar behind the door, like you are configured now, I would think it would be bolt-on...you might have to go with roll up window doors though:eek: ...differences in thinga mabobs

I battle daily with the hoards of 25 hardtop buyers thrusting their life savings and first born at me...

FJnotCJ said:
Have you looked at any corrugated tops from the mid 60's?
Yep, considered that, too. But, since I'm probably the only FJ40 owner within 300 miles and the only 25 owner within 1000 miles, tracking down and/or affording the shipping cost on anything much bigger than a bumperette would likely wipe me out. :frown: :frown:

Out of curiosity, does anybody know if the standard FJ40-style fiberglass roof top universally fits all 25 and 40 hardtop models, or did the size and mounting configuration change throughout the years?? :confused:

Steve now that your pillars behind the doors are cut down I think any hard top from 64 thru 74 would fit with very little mods. After 74 they change to the full rear doors. But anybody with a pre 75 would have to deal with that. So it mainly depends on how they trimed the pillars as to how easy the side panels with fit. I have some restoreable hard top panel from a 64 that are made for the the short pillar. I also have a hard top from a 72 that would fit. You just need to make a road trip.

John

Living in the Past said:
I also have a hard top from a 72 that would fit. You just need to make a road trip.
If it wasn't 4600 miles roundtrip, I'd be there by dinner time, John.
But, thanks anyway!! :D

FJnotCJ said:
Steve knows where TWO hardtops are, he doesn't want 'em:eek:
are hard tops that rare? i have one and was going to cut it up and make it work for my short cab 40. but if they are rare i dont wana hack it up and would rather pass it along to someone who needs it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom