Soft Top FJ40 Rear Door Upper Frames (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello — new owner here. Just purchased a recently refurbed 77 fj40 and had some questions about the rear ambulance door frames on the soft top, searched the forums but couldn’t find any info

Apparently they are made by relik garage but having issues getting them to respond. The people that did the refurb just Velcro’d the fabric to the upper frame which doesn’t seem correct. On top of that there is no weather proofing so it seems that may create some issues come winter time.

Does anyone know the proper way to attach the fabric to the frames? How the weather proofing should be attached? Also seems to be missing upper hinges and I’m looking to source those but can’t seem to locate them.

Any info/instruction would be helpful! Thanks!

There is no weatherstripping exactly, but there are rubber seals that mount to the channels on the doors & seal against the top. Just like the oem soft door seals are. SOR sells a replacement seal for the soft doors. There should be more than enough to do rear doors. If I recall, it’s about $50.

Original oem used cord that wrapped between the top & bows and could be tensioned & tightened. But lots of people use velcro now instead. Assuming yours is done the way I’m thinking (full length of each flap) I think it is a better solution personally.

Also factory tops would have mounted under the upper hinge, with it bolting through the top. It is common for that to be “cut out” now. Sacrifices a bit of attachment strength, but makes it way easier to remove for when you want to be truly topless.

There is no weatherstripping exactly, but there are rubber seals that mount to the channels on the doors & seal against the top. Just like the oem soft door seals are. SOR sells a replacement seal for the soft doors. There should be more than enough to do rear doors. If I recall, it’s about $50.

Original oem used cord that wrapped between the top & bows and could be tensioned & tightened. But lots of people use velcro now instead. Assuming yours is done the way I’m thinking (full length of each flap) I think it is a better solution personally.

Also factory tops would have mounted under the upper hinge, with it bolting through the top. It is common for that to be “cut out” now. Sacrifices a bit of attachment strength, but makes it way easier to remove for when you want to be truly topless.
I see — assuming I would probably just need to trim mine up before adding the rubber seals to the door channels? Right now the Velcro and top wrap completely around the frames so I don’t believe I would be able to attach the seal directly to the frames as you can kinda see in the picture.

Is this the seal you’re referring to as well in the second picture?

Thank you so much for the info this is super helpful

6DF6DE01-8CB7-4263-8132-D7F9188F73E8.png

76DDB5F4-82C8-4E2E-80A2-22D03E443A9F.jpeg

I see — assuming I would probably just need to trim mine up before adding the rubber seals to the door channels? Right now the Velcro and top wrap completely around the frames so I don’t believe I would be able to attach the seal directly to the frames as you can kinda see in the picture.

Is this the seal you’re referring to as well in the second picture?

Thank you so much for the info this is super helpful

View attachment 3126094

View attachment 3126096
Yep! That’s the seal, and you look to be missing your weather strip channels on your doors. The fabric does wrap around the edge of the frames, then the channels screw in place over the top of them. Then the seals go into the weather stripping. A bit of silicone spray, and a small flathead go a long way to getting it in the channel all over. I’ll see if I can find some pics of what I’m talking about on my phone.

The thin metal strip surrounding the black fabric is the weatherstrip channel. It screws through the fabric into the frames via tiny sheet metal screws & is mitre duct on the corners. It only goes around the uppers. I think there is some sort of thin, standard type of weatherstripping on the lowers, but don’t recall off hand. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

1664331495472.jpeg

The thin metal strip surrounding the black fabric is the weatherstrip channel. It screws through the fabric into the frames via tiny sheet metal screws & is mitre duct on the corners. It only goes around the uppers. I think there is some sort of thin, standard type of weatherstripping on the lowers, but don’t recall off hand. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

View attachment 3126137
Dang it, I knew I was missing something. That’s exactly what I’m looking for. I scoured sor and google to see if they anyone sold the channels but couldn’t find anything. Do you know anyone off hand that sells those? Thinking those and the stripping and I’ll be in good shape, can revisit the hinges later on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom