soft top care (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the best way to care for the SOR soft top, specifically the fabric. I've had it on for about 8 years. Is there any product to use to restore the top to close to original condition?? Tried a search and didn't find anything. Thanks for the help.

8 years!!! dude...that's awesome for a softtop! keep it clean, treat the fabric, enjoy it. remember...function before fashion. if i get four years out of the material, i'm happy. for the few hundred it takes to replace the fabric (which is a lot for me), if i can use the crap out of it, it's worth it!

There is some stuff called 303, I will try to find the bottle tomorrow and give you more info on it.
When I got my Kayline soft top, they recomended it.
The soft top I got in 97 still looks good. (except for all the stitching from me being too lazy to pop it down when rocks and trees are near)

the BMW and Miata forums have some good advice for vinyl soft tops; as far as fabric, I don't know. My softtop (what looks to be Bestop from more than 10 years ago) is still going strong (except for a rip I acquired at Easter Jeep Safari; probably my fault), and I got the MaGuire stuff/treatment for it. I patched the soft top with Haartz vinyl-coated fabric I got at a local softtop upholstery shop (matches the softtop exactly!) and made myself a bikini top from the stuff. Local specialty shops rock!

Last edited:
i've got some stuff i use on my vinyl tonneau cover on my pickup. can't really remember the name right now, but it's something like aerospace protectant or something. works very well and makes it look new.

yeah I had it up in the seattle area for the first 6 or 7 years and just brought it down to utah and the sun here I'm afraid will just scorch it. I'll look into that aerospace protectant 303 or whatever see if I can't find some on the net somewhere. Thanks for the help.

boekppl said:
I'll look into that aerospace protectant 303 or whatever see if I can't find some on the net somewhere. Thanks for the help.
the jeep places carry it.

If yours is black vinyl like mine, check out a product called forever black. It's actually a dye, goes on like shoe polish with a sponge applicator. 303 works good, but comes off in the rain and stains your paint with really nasty slimy streaks down the sides of your rig. Forever black doesn't. Of course I don't think it does anything for longevity of the material, just makes it look good.

I just use scotch guard on my cloth softtop and it seems to work for me. I have had the top for about 4 years

O.k., I can now report on the Meguire stuff, I cleaned soft top and doors all around, works excellent on the vinyl (mine was off-white at some time in the past, you wouldn't believe how much dirt came off, off-white again), and the plastic glass cleaner and polish are awesome! Clear windows, what a concept! It even took out scratches from heavy wheeling in brush and tree branches. Spendy but worth IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom