1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

soft brakes

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by soul, Feb 1, 2004.

1. soul

soul

i recently pressure bled the brakes and changed the pads [ all 4 corners] but now the brakes feel noticably soft. any ideas would be appreciated!!!

regards

2. xl715

xl715

can you press the pedal all the way to the floor when at a stop? Soft pedal doesn't always have to be air in the lines(however, if you just bled them are you sure you didn't get any air in there?) It could also be a caliper that is hanging up when you initally press the pedal and slowly freeing up under pressure whole you hold your foot on the pedal. Double check your work, make sure you didn't allow air in the system. Good luck!!

3. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Soul,

I'd expect a bit of a soft feeling with new pads and a normally worn rotor with a slight groove here and there, or if you used non stock pads that were contacting the disc more or less widely than the prior pads. This would simply be the pads not worn to the shape of the rotor. As noted above, air in the lines is the classic source but only you could speak to that based upon your past experience in doing this type of job. Also, did you do the bleeds in the proper sequence, and also remember the bleeder on the proportioning valve (rear axle)?

DougM

4. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Guest

One of my previous 80's had this problem--and I thought it was a brake bleeding issue after swapping pads--It turned out to be a bad caliper..Another symptom of this is the truck will pull to one side when braking..take good look at your calipers if you have this problem

5. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

If you still have the old pads around take a good look at them to see if any of them have worn differently than the others. This would help reveil a caliper issue.

6. soul

soul

thanks for all your responses, will check brakes again soon...... :beer: regards