Soda Blasting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
The Stripper
http://www.thestripperofnewmexico.com

OK, that's the guy. Anybody have an opinion on the process? He says he strips cars all the time. Unlike sand it doesn't distort the metal and uses good ol' baking soda which I can just sweep up. In general, it sounds a lot like plastic bead blasting. I was thinking of having the greasy bottom of da'40 cleaned up.

I met the guy today on a work issue. We are looking at having him clean the windows on the Conservatory. Nobody else in town will even think about it.

Matt used Sodium bicarbonate on the engine clean-up of his LPB Project. I believe that's the same stuff as "baking soda" or what your guy calls "bicarbonate-of-soda."

Seems to have worked fine.

-Mike-
97 FZJ80

Soda blasting is a favorite of the Porsche resto scene. Like Jon said, less damage to the metal.

You might also check the guys at Mild to Wild on 2nd street. They've got a bead-blasting booth, and just recently cleaned up an old Nova for one of the guys at work. Talk to Tony.

Ryan

You might also check the guys at Mild to Wild on 2nd street. They've got a bead-blasting booth, and just recently cleaned up an old Nova for one of the guys at work. Talk to Tony.

Ryan

The advantage of the company I noted is they are moble. They will come the house and all I need to do is have the body where they can get at it.

Last edited:
doesn't Skipper have a soda blaster? i assume his is more for small parts.

Shawn

Wow, never would have though to click on a link titled "thestripperofnewmexico"!!!

Have you got a price Jon? My boss was looked at having soda blasting done at his home and it was WAY expensive (as in he could have just replaced the parts to be blasted).

Wow, never would have though to click on a link titled "thestripperofnewmexico"!!!

Have you got a price Jon? My boss was looked at having soda blasting done at his home and it was WAY expensive (as in he could have just replaced the parts to be blasted).

Cost to clean the lower run of windows on the conservatory was quoted at $1178.
He estimated the cost (without looking) to clean the underside of da'40 at $300.

We have a plastic media blaster at my work. It’s not any good for rust but takes paint off in a big hurry, & depending on how much pressure your running if it distorts metal or not.
Another alternative is to use cold blasting. It uses dry ice and leaves no mess (only what you are removing). I have the business car with info if you want it. (It’s not local)
DMX

That coldjet stuff using dry ice pellets is really sweet. We actually used to use a very large version of that machine to cut large sections of TPS insulation off of the external fuel tank for the space shuttle program. They could cut the foam off of the tank without leaving a dimple in the primer underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom