Socket Size for draining the F/R Diffs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What size socket do I need to purchase for draining/refilling the front/rear diffs and the transfer case. My current Craftsman 3/8" set only goes up to 13mm.

I'm up for buying a heavy duty set from Sears, just want to make sure that I buy the right tools.

Thanks

Where can I get some of those lo-pros?

At your favorite dealer. They do not "belong" on cruisers. So, you have to know how to ask for them and they need to be resourseful. ::)

My favorite dealer just sent me a package. I'll have to give them a call again when the Plasma fund recovers. :G

My OEM drain plugs are flush with the steel ring aroung the plugs, why switch to "low profile"? The allen head plugs on my VW/Audis get plugged with crud even driving on the road. I've stripped out allen heads before, the big hex seems more robust to me, especially protected by that steel ring.

Scott - I don't think it makes much diff :D. Get tires big enough to keep the diffs off the rocks I say :flipoff2: :D

The mentioned crudded up hex plugs are the reason I pressure wash the underside of my cruiser before I do any work underneath it. I like being able to see what I'm doing and not get crud in and on everything. Even if you just take 20 min and hit each one of the drain + fill plugs it makes life easier.

Sure would be nice to work under a clean truck every time. How long 'till it stops dripping on you? I like to see where grease has been dripping/slinging, maybe wouldn't clean it every time. Allen heads need to be pretty clean to get a good grip, not a plus in remote locations in the dark. My VW/Audi diff & tranny plugs used huge allen sizes, I had to get a set of large wrenches. Little ones like I see in the pic above would've twisted or stripped with all the torque I sometimes needed, even with regular servicing. Of course those were tapered plugs, not copper-gasket, straight-thread like we're using. I'll be carefull with my hex heads, replace them if they get beat up, but don't think I'll switch to allens.

I actually need advice on my front & Rear DIFF Drain plugs. I tried to loosen the drain plugs and the socket keeps slipping off. They are on there tight..and i dont want to strip them.

Any advice on what i should/can do to get them loose w/out damaging them? I guess once they are out i should look into getting new ones?

thx,
-joe-

Joe,
The most important thing is to use a 6 point socket and a long breaker bar. The Snap-On, Mac, and other top brands are designed to contact the flanks of the fastener and not the points.
-B-

Today I had one VERY boogered up 30 yr old front diff fill plug, a 6 point socket wouldn't take it off. Took a monkey wrench to it, 5 seconds and it was off. If things are bad, and you have to replace it anyway, monkey wrenchs with the serrated claws work quite well.

Bailey,
Unfortunately a monkey wrench or a crescent or vice grips or anything other than a socket won't work on 80 series diffs. Take a close look at the picture that Chris posted and you will see a ring welded onto the diff. No way to get a monkey wrench on that bolt.
-B-

Chris,

>> All Pro Off Road sells them for $4 each. <<

My Toyota dealer sells the OEM hex plugs for less than $2 each. I haven't bought any because I'm like Scott and have had problems with hex plugs stripping. Are the ones you sell made of a harder material or something?

-B-

Joe-

Soak them with some PB Blaster one day, then take them off the next, mine were extremely tight, I soaked them, waited 24 hours and was able to get them off (of course with a little help from a hammer on the end of the wrench).

Bailey,
Unfortunately a monkey wrench or a crescent or vice grips or anything other than a socket won't work on 80 series diffs. Take a close look at the picture that Chris posted and you will see a ring welded onto the diff. No way to get a monkey wrench on that bolt.
-B-
I'm not talking about the drain, the 40 series have that ring as well. I was talking about the fill plug, which for some reason seems to be boogered up more often than the drain plug.

One of my diff bolts was really tight, too...a 18" craftsman breaker bar and 6-pt 24mm sockets did the trick. The particular sockets I'm using are S&K impact sockets which (they claim) grab the sides of the bolt rather than the corners. And if the 24mm bolt is really stubborn, I suppose you could just use an impact wrench if you have access to one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom