Socal Valve adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unless you are seeing a drop in compression or are seeing some blue smoke when you accelerate after coasting I would be leaving it alone.

Neither. So it isn't something that should be done as part of a regular maintenance cycle? My mechanic suggested it would be a good idea.

Checking the valve clearance is part of regular maintenance, but he isn't much of a mechanic if he didn't want to do this and wanted to send you somewhere else.

A valve job involves pulling the head, cleaning it, milling it flat if necessary, replacing the valve guides and seals and grinding the valve seating surfaces.
You only need to do this if it is necessary, like a burned valve leading to loss of compression.

^ agreed. Checking valve clearance is really easy. The hardest part is removing the valve cover.

I think the explanation he gave is he doesn't have the necessary shims to do the job and purchasing them would be cost prohibitive. That's why he referred me to another shop for the work.

It sounds like checking the valve clearance is really what I was referring to.

I would do a compression test first. Cheap, easy, and faster. If no problems, why fix it? Many of our rigs are over 200-300,000 miles without significant valve issues. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom