SoCal stereo installers who know 100 series and “The Nakamichi Situation”? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 99 LX470 with the Nakamichi head unit. I’ve mined so much great info from the very helpful threads on here. If I need to build the proper harness, I think I can do that but I’m curious if there are any car stereo installers in SoCal that you trust for the install. Or even if there are any who can do the harness. I’ve called a few in the LA area and said the words “99 LX470” and “Nakamichi” and they’ve all said “yes” immediately but I wasn’t convinced they understand the Nakamichi Situation as I call it. I’m fairly useless with car electronics. The closest I get to being in a car stereo is if a book I’ve narrated is playing on it. I’m hoping to install an Alpine w650 with a backup camera etc. while retaining the factory amp and speakers for now. Any options or suggestions would be helpful. As I said, I think I can make the connector happen thanks to the threads on here but if I open the dash there’ll be wiring spaghetti and much profanity And little else achieved.

I followed the instructions in this thread while replacing the head unit in my '99 LX470 and it was a straightforward and relatively easy switch:

LX470 Stereo Upgrade with Nakamichi

I kept the factory amp and speakers and it sounds pretty good. I don't have a rear camera yet so I have not tried hooking one up. Get the solder heat shrink connectors to make it really easy... Good luck!

I followed the instructions in this thread while replacing the head unit in my '99 LX470 and it was a straightforward and relatively easy switch:

LX470 Stereo Upgrade with Nakamichi

I kept the factory amp and speakers and it sounds pretty good. I don't have a rear camera yet so I have not tried hooking one up. Get the solder heat shrink connectors to make it really easy... Good luck!
Thanks!

I have a 99 LX470 with the Nakamichi head unit. I’ve mined so much great info from the very helpful threads on here. If I need to build the proper harness, I think I can do that but I’m curious if there are any car stereo installers in SoCal that you trust for the install. Or even if there are any who can do the harness. I’ve called a few in the LA area and said the words “99 LX470” and “Nakamichi” and they’ve all said “yes” immediately but I wasn’t convinced they understand the Nakamichi Situation as I call it. I’m fairly useless with car electronics. The closest I get to being in a car stereo is if a book I’ve narrated is playing on it. I’m hoping to install an Alpine w650 with a backup camera etc. while retaining the factory amp and speakers for now. Any options or suggestions would be helpful. As I said, I think I can make the connector happen thanks to the threads on here but if I open the dash there’ll be wiring spaghetti and much profanity And little else achieved.
I have a 99 LX470 as well. Several months ago I stopped by Gold Star Audio in Irvine as I had heard good things about their work on high-end automobiles for the last few decades. I figured our LXs used to be that so I dropped in and asked about my Nakamichi system. Their response gave me the impression that they had significant experience with the system. They were booked pretty solid and I have never made it back to them, but my plan has been to see them when I'm ready to upgrade. I just checked. Yelp shows they are closed but their website is still up. Might be worth a call to see.

I have a 99 LX470 as well. Several months ago I stopped by Gold Star Audio in Irvine as I had heard good things about their work on high-end automobiles for the last few decades. I figured our LXs used to be that so I dropped in and asked about my Nakamichi system. Their response gave me the impression that they had significant experience with the system. They were booked pretty solid and I have never made it back to them, but my plan has been to see them when I'm ready to upgrade. I just checked. Yelp shows they are closed but their website is still up. Might be worth a call to see.
Good lookin out! Thanks very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom