SoCal Machine Shop Recommends for Head Work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to get a preventative HG job on my 97' 80 pre-blower. Currently @ 125k

I'm looking for a machine shop than knows how to build performance heads. I'd like to have some oversized valves
and mild cams worked in the job during the valve job. Trouble is finding good guys.

I've seen a bunch of posts starting with the idea but ends up quiet. I know Schneider and Kelford are some options for components.
From what I've gathered the cost to benefit is low, but whatever, nothings free.

Any recommends on knowledgeable guys would be greatly appreciated!

I did my head last summer. Machine shop said Toyota valves are great, no reason to go aftermarket.

They did all the work with the OEM components.

Slapped a turbo on it after re-install & it has been running great!

Car Quest in Upland CA. Ask for Jodey, he runs the machine shop there.

Last edited:
It was a few years back but I really liked working with Gary at GRC Performance. He did all of my machine work on my 3FE head and block. Very knowledgeable. I also had Schneider grid a new profile on my cam. Really happy with their results too.

I've dealt with Jody for decades. He is the only one I would deal with out here. The problem is though, there's only three machine shops in the area. He is normally way over booked, I'm talking months. The other Carquest, just south of him in Ontario does good work also. Forgot the guys name there but he has the same back log. There's a shop in Pasadena area that's suppose to be real good. Their lead time is way better and price is good.

I'm looking for a machine shop than knows how to build performance heads. I'd like to have some oversized valves
and mild cams worked in the job during the valve job.

Forgot to add this.

If you came up with the parts, I'm sure opening up the heads for larger valves could be done by these guys. Stock set up is easy, ordering factory cams is easy. These guy's we recommended are very good at what they do but you would have to find the performance parts.

If you wanted to drop off, have someone else find larger valves, a different profile cam and do all the machine work, now you need someone who does performance work on these motors. If they don't, all there going to do is open a catalog and find something "Bigger" and there ya go.

The reason the better machine shops have such a back log is, there are no more. Everyone just orders motors, heads, transmissions..... from Jegs, Summit, factory. I've watched the machine shops go out of business over the last 40 years. The few left that are good do all the work.

I did my head last summer. Machine shop said Toyota valves are great, no reason to go aftermarket.

They did all the work with the OEM components.

Slapped a turbo on it after re-install & it has been running great!

Thanks J! Is this the guy that you were talking about? The one that didn't like working on these heads?

It was a few years back but I really liked working with Gary at GRC Performance. He did all of my machine work on my 3FE head and block. Very knowledgeable. I also had Schneider grid a new profile on my cam. Really happy with their results too.
Nice! Glad to see people on here who have implemented cams into their systems.

Do you mind sharing what your setup was for the cams? Did you touch your valves, add lash caps, etc.
What improvements did you find. Thanks!

Forgot to add this.

If you came up with the parts, I'm sure opening up the heads for larger valves could be done by these guys. Stock set up is easy, ordering factory cams is easy. These guy's we recommended are very good at what they do but you would have to find the performance parts.

If you wanted to drop off, have someone else find larger valves, a different profile cam and do all the machine work, now you need someone who does performance work on these motors. If they don't, all there going to do is open a catalog and find something "Bigger" and there ya go.

The reason the better machine shops have such a back log is, there are no more. Everyone just orders motors, heads, transmissions..... from Jegs, Summit, factory. I've watched the machine shops go out of business over the last 40 years. The few left that are good do all the work.

I hear that on finding a good shop. Really glad I posted this. I was searching for months and was not having much luck.

I wanted to source all the parts and have everything ready to drop off. Just wanted to get their blessing that everything was gtg as far as component selection.

I was thinking +1.5 on intake and maybe exhaust with a mild cam with a little cleanup would be nice.
Thanks for the recommend as well!

Thanks J! Is this the guy that you were talking about? The one that didn't like working on these heads?

he didn’t not like working on them per se.

But he did complain about how huge & heavy they were. Probably most in jest though, another inline-6 head was being dropped off when I was picking up.

he didn’t not like working on them per se.

But he did complain about how huge & heavy they were. Probably most in jest though, another inline-6 head was being dropped off when I was picking up.

Thats just Jody. He complained about my BBC heads when I dropped them off last year. When it comes to our motors, its 4-6 hours to set up the valves. That's not including the machine work. That's about a days work for one guy. A busy machine shop may not take them because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom